Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/28/2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

has anyone gone diving in the keys?

Any info would be appreciated!

malcolm
Old 10/28/2007, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

Yes, I have dove in the Keys, and a bit around MIami and Ft Lauderdale. John Pennekamp is a great place to start (Key Largo). Down around Big Pine Key and Grassy Key is suppossed to be very nice. Depends on what you are looking for, coral reef, wrecks, etc. PM me if you have questions bc I may not check this thread for a while.
Old 10/30/2007, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

I live here in south FL, IMO the best diving is in Ft Lauderdale. If you go east on Oakland Park Blvd to the end then turn right, you will go down a ways past 2 big pink condos. After that there is beach parking. Anywhere along this beach is good and there is a great healthy reef that starts 75 yds off the beach including an acrapora field that is emense and healthy.

If you want to boat dive I use Narcosis out of West Palm or Starfish in Lantana-I have only dove the Keyes a few times but I like these places muchy better.
Old 10/30/2007, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

I agree, Ft Lauderdale's beach dive is great, and I was really surprised. Saw lot's of neat stuff and I really like beach dives and not having to deal with a boat. Saw the acros Philter4 speaks of, morays, brains, etc. However, I have to say that there are much nicer reefs down in the Keys. Molasses reef is a favorite of many. If you have time, do both.
Old 10/31/2007, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

Last year I went diving in Key West. Very disappointing! Low biodiversity for fish as well as coral. The reefs there are all dying and the visibility was fairly low for tropical waters.
Old 10/31/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

Depends on where you go. Definitely the reefs are hurting bad in many places, but you can find some sweet reefs too. Alot of times we head south of Miami and I or a friend will get towed behind the boat with mask and snorkle and look for patches of reef worth diving, signal to the boat, and then check it out close up. Great fun!
Old 11/01/2007, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

thankks

this will help a bunch!!!

Malcolm
Old 11/06/2007, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

kellys aqua nuts key largo really nice people
island adventures key largo good dive sites
its really hit or miss with the keys vary few good places left
Old 11/14/2007, 02:07 PM
Keeper of Tangs

key west is tough since its such high volume, along with cruise ships pulling though. The keys does have some awesome diving. Big Pine is awesome along with pennecamp.