Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/25/2007, 01:37 AM
Registered Member

what do you think of the vortech pump

I've heard nothing but good things about the eco-tech vortech propeller pump. I am kinda considering getting one or two for a 120 gallon mixed reef but am hesitant because of the $350 price tag. Is "undertow" really that big of a deal that I would want one of these? Would this be better than tunzes or similar products? I guess I'm also asking what are the pros and cons of this product? I'm especially interested in personal experiences with this product. $700 just for flow seems kinda steep but way better than having 4-5 powerheads in the tank too.
Old 10/25/2007, 06:44 AM
Registered Member

Cons... The price tag. Big thingamabob sticking out of the wall of your tank. You'll need clearance because of the body of teh PH being on the outside and there's really no way to conceal it unless there's "furniture" built around it.

Pros... Fully adjustable flow (to, what, 3,000gph?). All heat remains outside the tank. Can be easily moved and literally placed anywhere on the exterior aquarium walls. Can be run on wavemakers.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics
Old 10/25/2007, 06:55 AM
Roughneck

Con... They can only be mounted perpendicular to the tank. They cannot be angled diagonally.
Old 10/25/2007, 08:54 AM
Nothing to put here

Con: that $350 price tag just jumped to $420...
Old 10/25/2007, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Pro: No AC electricity in the aquarium water! No Heat added to the water! Controllability of 500 to 3,000 gallons per hour of flow!

Con: They can only be mounted perpendicular to the tank. They cannot be angled diagonally. (as indicated earlier by fishysteve) However, I did see a thread or pic where someone siliconed in a divider diagonally (45 degrees) in the rear corner of an aquarium. Thereby making a dryside behind the divider where they installed the Vortech.
Old 10/25/2007, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

They had that displayed at MACNA, but then you're talking about taking up extra space in tank. AND, it can't easily be done in a tank that's already running.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics
Old 10/25/2007, 09:23 AM
Premium Member

Con: They can only be mounted perpendicular to the tank. They cannot be angled diagonally. (as indicated earlier by fishysteve) However, I did see a thread or pic where someone siliconed in a divider diagonally (45 degrees) in the rear corner of an aquarium. Thereby making a dryside behind the divider where they installed the Vortech. [/B][/QUOTE]

They are great water movers, but I wouldn't be happy if I had to "mod" a $420 powerhead........
Old 10/25/2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Re: what do you think of the vortech pump

You should check out the EcoTech forum on this site. Not too many lapdogs so you should get a decent perspective on the unit. Many people including myself have had fish sucked into it. I have one in my 90 and would love to get another one but I'm leary about doubling my odds on having another fish sucked in. Some people will have you believe that the fish were not healthy and that they were on their way out but that's total skimmate. I may go Tunze or Vortech on my next pump..I'm on the fence.
Old 10/25/2007, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Lambert
Con: They can only be mounted perpendicular to the tank. They cannot be angled diagonally. (as indicated earlier by fishysteve) However, I did see a thread or pic where someone siliconed in a divider diagonally (45 degrees) in the rear corner of an aquarium. Thereby making a dryside behind the divider where they installed the Vortech.
Quote:
They are great water movers, but I wouldn't be happy if I had to "mod" a $420 powerhead........
That would be modding the tank, not the powerhead.

Purple people eaters are racist.
Old 10/25/2007, 10:18 AM
Premium Member

In order to modify the capability of the powerhead....Geez......
Old 10/25/2007, 10:54 AM
Roughneck

schoch79 - If you are going to spend that kind of money go with the Tunze streams and multicontroller.
Old 10/25/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Or a closed loop.

Kieron Dodds
Administrator
Inside Aquatics
Old 10/25/2007, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

There are much cheaper ways to accomplish everything the Vortex, except the coolness factor.
Old 10/25/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Re: Re: what do you think of the vortech pump

Quote:
Originally posted by liquidlunch
You should check out the EcoTech forum on this site. Not too many lapdogs so you should get a decent perspective on the unit. Many people including myself have had fish sucked into it. I have one in my 90 and would love to get another one but I'm leary about doubling my odds on having another fish sucked in. Some people will have you believe that the fish were not healthy and that they were on their way out but that's total skimmate. I may go Tunze or Vortech on my next pump..I'm on the fence.
I would have to agree, The fish must have been sick because the undertow isn't that strong.
My lawnmower blenny sticks himself to it to eat then jumps away when he's done.
And I run the vortech full blast.
Old 10/25/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Well, what about the undertow they say it has? People also say that it moves the water in a different way than other conventional powerheads. Something about it being a much broader flow and no dead spots and it sounds to me like you could pretty much just use one for flow in the whole tank (120 gallon) and have no dead spots. I'm not sure on the accuracy of that but IMO that would be awesome to have a single peice of equipment I can accomplish that with.
Old 10/25/2007, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

If you buy one get the new one with the WMD. Don't buy a used one without the wave controller. I have a reliable source in the industry who told me Vortech will not be offering any more upgrades to a wave controller after Christmas.
Old 10/25/2007, 04:11 PM
saltwater in my veins

I think they are awesome.
Old 10/25/2007, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

Just bought two and the battery back up, big moola for a big upgrade but I am trying to avoid the mistakes (read more money spent) down the line on replacing powerheads (and corals) that never quite satisfy every year or two. One motor immediately had a problem so I sent it back and should get it tomorrow. Customer service at Ecotech and IceCap is excellent and friendly. All you've read about them is true except I am still not too happy with the noise. Could be another motor problem or that could just be the level of noise they make. The pump that did work has been "breaking in" for two weeks now and the wife is getting impatient. I haven't had Tunzes but these are like having jet engines in your tank. Super wide and strong flow. No night mode like the tunzes and the wireless seems silly since the controllers have to be in the same sight line (the signal does not go throught water or wood). So why not just have another wire connecting? OK I guess if you have four or more but 2 in my 110 is overkill which is better than underkill, throttling down is easy and fun to play with. So there you have it. Not sure about the noise, everything else is great. Hope I never have to use the battery back up but I have had a crash before that could have been avoided with it. Anyone want to talk chillers? I am unhappy with mine.
Old 10/25/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

p.s. The "undertow" is huge and immediately pulled up gunk I didn't know was there. The fish love playing in and around the current so I think the "sick fish sucked in" notion is probably accurate.
Old 10/25/2007, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

The real problem is the cost because most likley you will need more than one unit. Since you want to mix up your flow you will want at least 2 or if you have a large tank maybe 4 or more ouch!!
Old 10/26/2007, 10:20 AM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by kysard1
If you buy one get the new one with the WMD. Don't buy a used one without the wave controller. I have a reliable source in the industry who told me Vortech will not be offering any more upgrades to a wave controller after Christmas.
This is completely untrue. Who ever you spoke with is wrong or mistaken.

-Tim
Old 10/26/2007, 12:59 PM
Premium Member

IMHO, if you have a tank that's only viewable from the front, these are the way to go. If you have 3 side viewable, go Tunze.
Old 10/26/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Re: what do you think of the vortech pump

Quote:
Originally posted by OliverM3
I would have to agree, The fish must have been sick because the undertow isn't that strong.
My lawnmower blenny sticks himself to it to eat then jumps away when he's done.
And I run the vortech full blast.
Mine came with a foam sleeve to put around the intakes so I doubt a fish could be sucked in if that’s utilized
Old 10/26/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Got my pump back from IceCap, one day turn around, will update on performance. Cost as an issue? Well, yeah of course but the cost of the plexiglass tank I had to throw out because the coraline algae had taken over was pretty high (then add on the cost of a new glass tank which I should have bought in the first place). The cost of the powerheads I've had to throw out because they are constantly getting clogged and never living up to any kind of decent standard has been pretty high. This hobby can be regulated cost wise (just look at the recent explosion of nano reef tanks) but if you are in for a penny you are most likely like myself and in for a pound! I happened to be ready to get things going again the right way after a crash forced me to take baby steps back up to a FOWLR tank for over a year and a half. By the way I don't think they really look that big on the sides of the tank. The design couldn't be any cooler and the performance is impressive.
Old 10/26/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

and I keep reading about not being able to angle the flow. There is no need to, that's what people don't understand. This is not like normal powerheads that you have to direct towards or away from corals or rocks or sides of the tank in order to get some kind of dynamic flow. Imagine that your old style powerheads are like blowing through a straw and these are like the trail left behind the space shuttle, plus add the undertow. Totally revolutionary as far as I'm concerned and no, no one is paying me to say any of this.