Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/23/2007, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

Bad UPS!

So I bought a Calcium reactor a month ago. UPS was kind enough to only crush the box and punch a hold in the box. Needless to say UPS is having to pay the insurance on a broken reactor. If you ever have this happen to you, it is a painfully SLOW process ha-ha. Anyways, I now have a 5lb CO2 bottle, regulator, and media that I cannot use. After all this I am thinking that I may just stick to dosing my tank as I have been doing and not mess with a reactor. Would anyone be willing to buy a CO2 tank, reg, and media? I have not used them but I did buy them used when I bought the reactor. This just seems like an odd thing to post as "for sale" lol.
Old 10/23/2007, 06:15 PM
TOTM October 2007

you should post a price Jeff.

Paul.
Old 10/23/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

yeah jeff what he said
Old 10/23/2007, 09:02 PM
Shark Hunter

Every time I hear about hthis on UPS it reminds me af a box of computer power supplies that were ran over by a semi truck, reboxed and just shipped on to me like nothing ever happened. I really hate using them for things like this...
Old 10/23/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, I was thinking 100 bucks for everything???? The tank still has some CO2 in it and I know it the regulator works. The media is the ARM media.
Old 10/23/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

This is off topic but I will let you know how bad UPS really is. I was not allowed any information about the package once I returned it damaged. Thankfully I had a good honest person that kept me informed and is making sure I am taken care of. I will probably never use UPS again if I can prevent it. They have truly been a horrible experience and I cannot believe the way they treat the customers for something that is their (UPS) fault. Anyways, hit me back if anyone wants.
Old 10/23/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

AND I will be in Edmond on Friday afternoon to give the Turboflotor to the person who is buying it; so if someone wants the tank and stuff by then I can just bring it too. I will be at Aquariums by 5 p.m.
Old 10/24/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

I will consider offers. I prefer they be a dollar amount and not trades as I am recovering some of my costs.
Old 10/25/2007, 12:48 PM
Team RC Member

for the love of god PM sent!!!

How the heck did I miss this thread, lol.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 10/25/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

pendng...
Old 10/25/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Wow Adam, you must be living right!
First winning the Ca reactor at CRASE. Now a CO2 tank, regulator & media are at your feet. .
Old 10/25/2007, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

I know, I was really HOPING to win it lol :-P
Old 10/25/2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

Jeff, I just ordered a GEO Ca Reactor with all the trappings, and it's shipping UPS ground (as Phantom of the Opera music plays in background)
Old 10/25/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Hopefully yours will come in better condition than mine. It is crazy because even though you have proof you paid for the package and it was delivered directly to you, UPS will not talk or work with you. They will only communicate to the person who shipped. You have to hope your dealing with an honest person. I am just really surprised how bad they are. Since I never had this happen I thought it would be an easy fix, I mean that is why we pay for insurance. However, UPS makes sure it is not easy. I will try my best to not use them when possible from now on.
Old 10/25/2007, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

premium aquatics has these neat little stickers they will put on your order box if you want. They are Neon green and say "Caution, HIGH CLAIM VALUE!!!" If you just put a request in the comment box, they will gladly make sure your order gets them.

knock on wood, i have never had anything break from UPS. When I bought my chiller from Premiem, they littered that box with those stickers. And the UPS guy requested I inspect the package before signing for it.
Old 10/25/2007, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eddybabyhd
premium aquatics has these neat little stickers they will put on your order box if you want. They are Neon green and say "Caution, HIGH CLAIM VALUE!!!" If you just put a request in the comment box, they will gladly make sure your order gets them.

That's good to know. Thanks for the tip.
I've had mostly good experiences with them, but earlier this summer I had to return some pool filters and they damaged the box and a foot on the filter. They wanted to deal with me sent I sent the package. However, I never heard back from them. Then one day, the box showed up at my door again. I called and they said they'd refunded the money to the company I purchased the filters from (and to where I was shipping them) because they had an account with ups. Fortunately, I was dealing with a good company who credited the refund to my credit card.

However, I still use them when a company I purchase from prefers them.
Old 10/26/2007, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

You should see how UPS treats T-5 bulbs,they break about every order I get from ReefGeek,you know its bad when they are sitting at the front in an " L " shape...I worked there 4 years and I know how they treat packages..its not good..

Donny
OMAS
Old 10/26/2007, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

We should all write them When you think it about it, we are punished for their poor shipping. They have to hire people to make the refunds, pay the refunds, and then raise shipping costs to continue making money. So in the end it seems that a good portion of the shipping could be reduced if they actually were careful in the process. They need to hire me as a consultant!
Old 10/26/2007, 09:20 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by jeeperrs
We should all write them When you think it about it, we are punished for their poor shipping. They have to hire people to make the refunds, pay the refunds, and then raise shipping costs to continue making money. So in the end it seems that a good portion of the shipping could be reduced if they actually were careful in the process. They need to hire me as a consultant!
Just think about all the people who work to make such wonderful objects only to have them crushed. Now those people theoretically don't get paid and the retailer loses money because it will initially fall back on them.
Old 10/26/2007, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

Interesting that I never had a problem with UPS until I moved back to Oklahoma. In one instance I watched UPS **race** past the house one evening...with packages "out for delivery." I called immediately and raised heck. They contacted the driver who claimed it was a "signature" deliver and no one was home. I had my packages delivered about two hours later by a **VERY** testy driver. My biggest complaint, though, is with USPS and their "rural carriers" who now deliver in non-rural areas. Our delivery is spotty at best. They either don't show up or get everyone's mail mixed up. I'm sure they're the best that minimum wage can buy.

Jeff Prince
OMAS Program Coordinator
Old 10/26/2007, 10:05 AM
Team RC Member

I noticed the same Jeff. I never had troubles with em either until I moved here. Granted i'm using them alot more often lately, I've yet to receive a package and call the whole process "satisfactory". I've seen the same thing with them driving right on by and ignoring your house altogether and claiming nobody was home, even though you were sitting on the porch watching them drive by. Or leaving a package on the porch that their is a signature requirment on.

Old 10/26/2007, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

Have you seen what they get paid? It really is not a bad salary at all, at least I don't think it is. My opinion may be a little different since only get grad student pay and not professor pay. ha-ha
Old 10/26/2007, 10:13 AM
Team RC Member

lol, but they also have an extensive waiting list from my understanding. They'll hire on people at part time kinda hours and make em work that for way to long before giving them a good route, and more hours and the good pay that goes with. You'd think after all they have to go through to get the right posistion that they'd weed out the morons who can't do their job properly. I may be wrong though, just what I've heard from friends who've applied.

Old 10/26/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, my uncle works for USPS and they did him that way. They did it so that they would not have to pay benefits or anything. What is bad is that he was a Vietnam Vet and really could have used the benefits earlier. He is now full time but at one point they had to "fire" him and then "rehire" him so they were not forced to give him benefits. I think it is all just crazy.
Old 10/26/2007, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

One other thing that bugs me is that they'll just leave a package on the porch and not knock or anything. The box says live goods and something like Live Aquaria on it and they'll just set it out of the way. It's like 40 degrees here in the mornings!