Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/22/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

What angels are in your reef?

I'd like to know what angel(s) you have in your reef, along with what corals? What experiences did you have, what did it eat/touch or leave alone? I know every fish is different, just looking for experiences and possible ideas for my 110. Also how big/old the fish was, did anything change over time, and how often fed? Any and all details appreciated!
Old 10/22/2007, 10:08 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

A pair of balckspot swallowtails

I tried a pair of argis once. The female ripped my acros and gorgonians apart. Never again with "maybe reef-safe" fish.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 10/22/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Wow cherub angels ripping apart SPS? I dont plan on having much SPS if any at all. My brother has a cherub in a mixed reef and it doesn't touch a thing. Just goes to show every fish is different. Thanks for the reply, any more experiences out there or people have other angels in reefs?
Old 10/23/2007, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

I had a coral beauty in my 55 gal for a couple of years. He ate everything I put in the tank: nori, flake,pellet, & homemade frozen mix. He never bothered any of the lps or stonies I have in the tank. I recently upgraded to a 75 gal and I traded in the coral beauty for a flame angel and he eats pretty much the same things. He's been pretty good about not nipping at corals. I think if you feed these guys atleast twice a day and give them some nori/algae to nibble on it will lessen the chances of them nibbling corals.
Old 10/23/2007, 03:27 AM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

Ive had a Flame Angel for a year now. I have him with zoanthids, sps, lps, softies, anemones, and clams. The only thing he picks at is the rock. I feed my tank frozen foods once a day and nori twice a day. He is a model citizen.
Old 10/23/2007, 05:22 AM
Registered Member

i had coral beauty and flame angle in my 75 b4, didn't have any problem but just that flame angle didn't like the beauty.

i'm always jealous when i see those full sps tanks with blueface angles and all the sps still look happy and healthy...
Old 10/23/2007, 06:31 AM
Registered Member

Flame Angel and A Blackspot Angel. I've never seen them bother any corals. Mostly LPS (Hammer, Frogspawn, Alveopora) & Softies (Leather, Zoas, Mushrooms, Xenia). I've had the Blackspot for about 1-1/2 years and the Flame for about 6 months.
Old 10/23/2007, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Have a Venustus and a Potters in my 125gal reef tank. both are about 2.5 inches.

No problems messing with the corals, except the Venustus will occaisonally nip at the Frogspawn coral, I think he is just picking at the excess mucus that it sometimes gives off. Either way it does no damage to the various branches of the frogspawn coral as it is growing like weeds in my tank.
Old 10/23/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Seems to be the flame isn't as bad as everyone says it is. Sigmund, that Venustus is gorgeous! I would love a large angel again, either an emperor, blueface, or regal, but it seems they are more SPS safe, and my tank is going to be mixed, mainly not sps. I am leaning towards a flame and maybe a cherub and lamarck angels. But might try a juvi 2" emperor and move him into a big FOWLR when he grows out of my tank or starts eating corals. I just miss my old angels and my tank feels empty without one, btw I had a queen, emperor and gray angels, in a FOWLR of course. Keep all the replies coming, love to see more angels in reefs!
Old 10/23/2007, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

-flame in a 46gal, picks minorly, not enough to damage anything (lots of zoos, shrooms, frogspawn, hammer, clam, etc) 6 months.

-coral beauty in a 65, picks at only rocks, 5 months.

-coral beauty in 90, picks at only rocks, 2+ years.

-potters in a 33, picks at only rocks, just under 1 month.
Old 10/23/2007, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

I have a multi barred dwarf in my 180. There are some SPS and a few softies but it has not touched any of them. She swims in the water column with the anthias and doesn't spend much time in the rocks. I've had her about 5 month's. I feed atleast 5 times a day.

Carl

Last edited by CarlC; 10/23/2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10/23/2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

i have a pygmy golden angel in my tank,the tank is loaded with sps corals and clams.i was kind of worried he might nip at the clams mantles but so far he has only nipped on my orange cap colony.i dont mind him nipping the monti as is quite large and he really doesnt bother it that much.i feed my fish kind of on the heavy side and ive had the fish for about 2 months and it is only about 1 1/2" long at the moment.
Old 10/23/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

Nice, didn't think there was that many different angels out there in reefs. Any large angel reef owners out there?
Old 10/23/2007, 09:39 PM
Premium Member

I'll soon be adding two Chaetodontoplus species, melasonoma and caeruleopunctatus. I'll be picking three of each up on Monday and have them in QT for atleast a month.

If you do a search for pictures of John Copps's tanks he has many pairs and trio's of large angels in with his corals. He did a great presentation at our club's last frag swap about angels rare and common.

Carl
Old 10/23/2007, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

2 1/2 years with a mixed reef so far so good!
Old 10/23/2007, 09:53 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Oh oh, Carl's branching into angels!

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 10/23/2007, 10:28 PM
Premium Member

I had a beast of a male scribbled in my reef for about 2 months- model citizen. The one day, I came home from work, and it seemed as if someone told im he was supposed to eat things. He wrecked almost everything in less than 12 hours- clams, SPS, LPS, zoanthids, mushrooms, you name it.

Old 10/23/2007, 10:35 PM
Premium Member

Yep! I've had my eye on a center of the room 500g for some time now and nothing would fill it better than lots of Pseudanthias and big angels. We'll see how things go after I get done traveling.

Now if I could manage to collect some of the anthia spawn and get them going in captivity I could comfortably afford to keep a 500g angel system running!

The joys of obsession!

Carl
Old 10/24/2007, 01:47 AM
Premium Member

I keep a female swallowtail in my 90g (Genicanthus Lamarck). Angels from this family are planktivores, totally reef safe, and very underrated. Lamarck's are one of the largest in the family, reaching about 8" or so; they're not large angels, but a swallowtail will definitely make a substantial showpiece in a 75-125g sized setup.

I had dwarf angels in my LPS reef (a 65g - the angels were sold off when we upgraded) and they were all relatively well-behaved. I kept a flame, coral beauty and whitetail (C. flavicauda) together with no issues other than a little shoving around the nori clip. That said, I didn't try to keep them with clams or fleshy LPS corals, because Centropyges are notorious for nipping them.
Old 10/24/2007, 09:58 AM
Registered Member

Cherub anngel aka pygmy angel ( C. argi ) in a mixed Reef tank ( softies, LPS, mushrooms, Zooanthnids, 1 SPS colony).
Is a model citizen to the corals. A bit of a bully at feeding time..

Matthew
36 gallon reeftank 26+ months old.
PS he's been in there for about 15 months..
Old 10/24/2007, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

I have a pair of Interruptus & a trio of Fisheri hybrids in my 210 SPS some LPS tank, w/absolutely no problems.
I have a pair of Joculators in a dominate LPS tanks w/no nipping.
Old 10/24/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Regal Angel
Imperator Angel
Old 10/24/2007, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

Anybody have a joculator and a regal together?? My joculator is in a sps and lps system with no problems at all.
Old 10/24/2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

Fcataudo, how big of an emperor? Still juvi I assume if he's in your 90g? How are the two angels with the clams? No LPS at all?
Old 10/24/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

Carl, couldn't do a search, as usually, I think I remember hearing about that though, would love to see more if anyone has a link. Can't wait to see the progress of your 500g, what angels and corals are going to be in it?

Triggerman, nice cherub and tank. I may try a mated pair of them, along with another larger angel.

jmaneyapanda, that fish is beautiful! Too bad he went crazy!

ACBlinky, I know the Genicanthus species get decent sized and are the most reef safe angel. I am considering a lamarck, but would love something different and more eye catching. Just don't have the money for the rare $200+ angels.

Sheol, your tank sounds a lot like what I want, mixed reef with few SPS.

racerw, I think I saw a few pics of your tank in a multiple angel thread. Are the trio Fisheri hybrids the multicolor angels? I would love some of those reef safe angels, but they are just so expensive!