Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/20/2007, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

600gal 96x48x30 Glass tank (Ohio 43068)

LINK
Old 10/21/2007, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Did that tank split on you once or twice?
Old 10/21/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

once...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kreeger1
Did that tank split on you once or twice?
The tank only split the once...
Old 10/22/2007, 07:44 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
so keep your lowball offers to yourself…
Are you kidding me? You should feel very lucky if you even get what the used glass is worth.
Old 10/22/2007, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

You can get new 3/4" Low Iron glass pre-cut from Glass Cages for $28/sq ft and 3/4" plate for $21/sq ft. Assuming the front and sides are Low Iron glass, that's about 40 sq ft of LI and 52 sq ft of regular.

So - appx $2212 for new glass from Glass Cages without the nice beveled edges like AO, and I didn't count the cost of the eurobracing.

However, disassembly and moving those sheets of glass (and keeping them scratch free) is a lot of time and trouble that should be considered in the cost... That, and I seriously doubt that I could do a really awesome silicon job like AO.

I wonder what Will would charge to make a trip and rebuild the tank onsite.

Hmmmmm...
Old 10/22/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

out of curiosity was the "split" under some sort of warranty?

600 gallons of water plus whatever water pumped from the sump......equals..... dampness somewhere

will a company come out and set up a tank like that or larger?

I told the wife when we move they are going to have to build the house around the tank.... now you're saying I can have it installed?

sean
Old 10/22/2007, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Well, I got an e-mail back from Will at AO...

Quote:
Hi Sean,

I would have to have the tank shipped back here and
rebuild. I wish I could come and do it on site...but we
just are too busy.

BTW- We would re-build with extra bracing so I wouldnt
worry about any issues.

Will
Bummer - as paying for shipping both ways would not be cheap...
So I'd be stuck doing the silicon myself, and I don't trust myself to align those heavy panels correctly.

Although the shipping could possibly be worth it if Will would warranty it like new. I didn't ask...

Shawn - how much was shipping the first time?
Old 10/23/2007, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

Good luck selling this. For the potential buyer it is not the end of the world having to reseam it. It would be way easier to reseal it then to move it out in one piece. It might not be a seal as nice as wills but with a little practice and research you could seal it up to a point where I doubt anyone could tell the difference.

Sounds like a great deal to me, but then again I make all my stuff so this kind of thing does not freak me out like it seems to effect other people.
Old 10/23/2007, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

I bet shipping wouldn't be cheap 2 ways... I paid over 400 to have my 5' x 3' tank shipped from Dallas. That was shipping alone, no crate material costs. BUT, you could drive it up yourself for a lot less! That's what I would do!
Old 11/08/2007, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

I do not recall the shipping but it was over $500.00...
Old 11/09/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Is there any starfire glass on this tank at all?
Old 11/09/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mike660r
Is there any starfire glass on this tank at all?
The front (8ftx30in) and both sides (4ftx30in) are low iron glass...

I am out of town again for work, when I get back to the hotel room I will post a pic...
Old 11/09/2007, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

I went back through your directory of pictures. I found the photos from AO when the tank was being built. I could clearly see the difference in those photos. I answered my own question with a little digging.

I have another question. The 5 holes in the back of the tank. Where those cut by AO or was that done on site? If you did them did you happen to clear it with AO before the work was done?
Old 11/09/2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mike660r
I went back through your directory of pictures. I found the photos from AO when the tank was being built. I could clearly see the difference in those photos. I answered my own question with a little digging.

I have another question. The 5 holes in the back of the tank. Where those cut by AO or was that done on site? If you did them did you happen to clear it with AO before the work was done?
LOL I was thinking that I had that pic out on my site but I could not find it...

The top two return holes and the lowest hole was done by AO... I drilled the two holes that are diagonal from the lowest hole that AO drilled. In talking with Will he stated that as long as the holes were at least 2" apart from each other then there was nothing to worry about. If I recall the holes are about 2.5" apart...