Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/14/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Double Whiptail Bream

has anyone have experience with a Double Whiptail Bream in a reef? just setting up and its hard finding info on them. i saw it at a LFS and his movements are really cool
Old 10/15/2007, 06:13 AM
Registered Member

i guess this fish is uncommon -
it was listed as a banana fish on the tank at the LFS but im not sure if that was the correct title
Old 10/15/2007, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

I have two in my 125. They are a beautiful fish, haven't found much of any info either on them. They were called banana fish at my LFS as well. Only real info has been http://www.wetwebmedia.com/Breams.htm I also have a bridle bream as well (the one in the back of the pic below).

So far, great fish. Only had for a couple weeks. I believe they are an open water fish so you'll need space and wetweb states they get to a foot in length. The best way I can imagine to sum these guys up, are anthias on crack. Sometimes they pace the tank back and forth and sometimes they chill out (out in the open though). They are voracious eaters, they'll eat what ever they can. They love live food, though I typically feed all my preds frozen scallops, jumbo krill, silversides, and mysis. They get ghost shrimp usually once a week max just for me to watch them hunt and attack. They are reef safe, though I wouldn't dream of putting any type of shrimp with them. Corals, snails, and hermits are safe though, whatever won't find in their mouths pretty much. They've been model citizens so far.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1222622

Old 10/15/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

yup thats the fish! i just picked one up tonight, hes really cool the way he freezes in mid swim. looks hardy too and a very aggressive eater. you dont think hed be ok with a cleaner shrimp? 12 in- i read that too. mine is 2 inches right now in a 117 g. yea there is barely any info on them and them only one online i found for sale was $40 - i got mine for $20
Old 10/16/2007, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

I would bet against a cleaner shrimp being safe, I have a few bait shrimp (live jumbos) in there and whenever my H. Tusk or someone takes one down, they attack and grab their share. Though cleaner shrimp are a bit different, they have the markings to show they're 'helpers' not food so anything is possible.

I got mine for $19ea. too, only because they'd been at the LFS for a couple weeks. Max. size will be interesting, I can't find one larger then mine, they're a little bit over 3" and the "adults" on the web don't really look like something a foot long. Maybe 7" or so max in capitivity is my guessimate.
Old 10/16/2007, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

ill try it out most of the cleaner shrimp ive seen are bigger than the banana fish- yours are def. bigger but ill let you know what happens when i do.
Old 10/17/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

I had one of these before, got him for $10 because the fish store had no idea what it was and said it was ugly! Loved mine but unfortunately my maroon clown did not, and of course the maroon won.
Old 10/17/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

this fish loves current! today the banana swam into i guess a rip tide and started doing barrol rolls and 360s! i thought he was dead or sick for a minute but then he came right up to the front glass, stopped in front and starred at me! this guy is crazy. he loves having the water take him and then just regains control again. mind you i do not have any thing even powerful in there blowing yet-
he just stunts!!!!!
Old 10/18/2007, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

Scott W. Michael's "Angelfishes & Butterflyfishes" book has good info on this family of fish and also by species:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3&pcatid=12783

You should find it helpful.

--Kevin Wilson
Old 10/18/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

I had one for over 2 years, and then he just died unexpectedly...........never had ANY problems with him, other than he ate like a pig!
Old 10/18/2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

Heart probably exploded ...

(j/k about how they live their lives at mach 5 speed)

Last edited by AquaKnight407; 10/18/2007 at 10:51 PM.