Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/13/2007, 12:05 AM
Registered Member

Exclamation Ouch!

Here is a great reason to pull and hyper a rock from time to time!
Old 10/13/2007, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

I have seen some bigger in my tank. Got one that is about 4-5" long. Makes me scared to reach in and touch anything.

Put gloves on the next grocery list.

Coffman
Old 10/13/2007, 01:19 AM
Registered Member

I think I have a bigger one in a rock I cant pull just yet. I was searching for a nasty pycnogonid that I believe is lurking about. When I was looking for it at "lights off" I saw one (Fireworm) [profanity] But it was in a rock that a newly added brittle star was in. I was afraid to take the chance of tossing out $20. That is what caused me to pull and hyper the few I could without disturbing the sandbed! And still no pycnogonid caught!

Gloves are Always on hand and used! I have had a bad reaction in the past and will let a rock fall and crack the tank wide open before I go in without protection again! I buy Nitrile gloves from an Ag based company and Love them!

Last edited by smiller; 10/13/2007 at 04:46 AM.
Old 10/13/2007, 02:35 AM
TRC Leader

If you get nailed by those bristles, just submerge the area in white vinegar for 5 minutes. It will dissolve their calcium-based quills. They hurt like fiberglass.

Just so you know, some hobbyists have found enormous ones in their tanks. One guy found one that was nearly 13 feet long ( www.oregonreef.com ). Here's one I had in my refugium years ago.

http://www.melevsreef.com/video/bristleworm.wmv
http://www.melevsreef.com/video/bristleworm_running.wmv
Old 10/13/2007, 04:48 AM
Garbologist

mystrybird

Going around the profanity filter is no different than using profanity here. This is a family friendly board. Please review the User Agreement before posting here again.

http://www.reefcentral.com/agreement.php

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 10/13/2007, 05:30 AM
Premium Member

i havent seen one of those yet...and i hope i never see them.
Old 10/13/2007, 05:32 AM
Garbologist

The Great Worm Incident

http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 10/13/2007, 06:29 AM
Registered Member

something I found while moving some rock
Old 10/13/2007, 09:19 AM
Moved On

Re: The Great Worm Incident

Thats tom obrect he used to live in omaha. But he moved to Oregon if you go to Omaha Marine Society in the reef club forums you can see his awesome tank build.
Old 10/13/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

My Coral Banded Shrimp keeps the Bristle Worm population down. I love watching it grab em' out of rocks and chow down.

Sorry kids, daddy spent your college fund. But hey, at least the tank looks cool!
Old 10/13/2007, 12:46 PM

Re: Re: The Great Worm Incident

Quote:
Originally posted by yellowwatchmen
Thats tom obrect he used to live in omaha. But he moved to Oregon if you go to Omaha Marine Society in the reef club forums you can see his awesome tank build.
I don't understand.
The Oregon reef website is Steve Weast awesome tanks.
Old 10/13/2007, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smiller
mystrybird

Going around the profanity filter is no different than using profanity here. This is a family friendly board. Please review the User Agreement before posting here again.

http://www.reefcentral.com/agreement.php
Steve, I'm sorry, I wasn't even thinking! I didn't even realize I was going around the filter! I always spell naughty words like that. Won't happen again.
Old 10/13/2007, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
If you get nailed by those bristles, just submerge the area in white vinegar for 5 minutes. It will dissolve their calcium-based quills. They hurt like fiberglass.

Just so you know, some hobbyists have found enormous ones in their tanks. One guy found one that was nearly 13 feet long ( www.oregonreef.com ). Here's one I had in my refugium years ago.

http://www.melevsreef.com/video/bristleworm.wmv
http://www.melevsreef.com/video/bristleworm_running.wmv
Scary!!
Also another lesson learned for me is QT my rocks for a month or two to make sure I don't introduce anything unwanted isn't enough!
I had to raise the hyper dip to 1.050 SG last night before anything would come out of the rock. And then I still had to let it sit for 5 or more min. I am going to try for the other one I eyeballed tonight.

Oh ya, thanks to my morbid sense of curiosity and pack rat nature. I couldn't help but toss it into another tank! I set up a reject rock tank a while back and have been tossing other worms and pyramid snails I have been finding.

But I don't think it made it. That high of SG killed the amphipods instantly!
Old 10/13/2007, 05:01 PM
See if you can pingaso it

mystrybird,

You're overreactingand doing more harm than good with the rock... Bristle worms are NOT bad ... FIRE Worms are, as are Eunicid worms.

I love Bristle Worms... but they do make working in the tank a PITA at times..lol
Old 10/13/2007, 05:05 PM
Moved On

Re: Re: The Great Worm Incident

Quote:
Originally posted by yellowwatchmen
Sorry i was wrong my friend was telling me about tom obrect and this worm at the same time and i misunderstood. Tom Obrect didnt even move to oregon he moved somewhere else.
Old 10/13/2007, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by jman77
mystrybird,

You're overreactingand doing more harm than good with the rock... Bristle worms are NOT bad ... FIRE Worms are, as are Eunicid worms.

I love Bristle Worms... but they do make working in the tank a PITA at times..lol
Hi!
I am not after the Bristle's. I wasn't even after the Fire worm, found it by chance.

I am after a pycnogonid! I have been trying to figure out what has been irritating my Zoanthids for a while. Then I found a molt from one that was dime sized the other evening.

I don't mind bristles at all! That's why I save them. They are the best clean up crew out there!

Anyone have any ideas how to rid my self of a nasty spider??
Old 10/13/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Just got some new shots of my bristle worms tonight. Check this out:

Here is one of the Green Chromis in his usual night spot.

What's this? The lion stalking his prey? It is Halloween time, maybe he is just trying to scare him?

And he did a darn good job of it to!

This worm was observed for a few seconds while it snaked over the LR. I estimate him to be 6-8" fully stretched out.

Coffman
Old 10/13/2007, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Nice pics!
But Dang! You need to take a dental pic after those rocks!
Your fish looks worried.
Old 10/14/2007, 12:04 AM
One Good Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by jman77
mystrybird,

I understand why Eunicid worms are bad but why fire. Most everyone with bristle's have fireworms. You even buy bristilworms from some pet stores and they send you fireworms. So why do you think there bad. I have plenty of them and no harm has been done. I do remove them once there 4-6" long because they will eat my snails but other than that there great for detrivore eaters.
Old 10/14/2007, 12:39 AM
Registered Member

Is it just me, or is there some confusion about the difference between a Fire and Bristle..
In home aquaria discussion it looks like they are said to be the same?
I am confused. There are a few in this class that are more painfull and more toxic than others.
Old 10/14/2007, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

I am not for sure if mine is a fire or just normal bristle worm. I have not found any good comparable pics to look at. Can anyone tell me what that one is in the pic above? I haven't seen them hurt anything yet, but I do suspect my pods of eating my beautiful frag of Green Bay Packer zoas.

Coffman
Old 10/14/2007, 02:30 AM
Lenny & Squiggy

It's been my experience that some people use "fire worm" to describe coral-eating polychaetes, and "bristleworm" when they mean detritus-eating polychaetes. Thus, fire worms are bad, and bristleworms are good. It's all just colloquial...
Old 10/14/2007, 09:05 PM
TRC Leader

Fireworms very rarely make it into our tanks, period. Dr Ron Shimek has stated that the odds are very low, something like 95% of the worms we see are nothing to worry about.
Old 10/14/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Fireworms very rarely make it into our tanks, period. Dr Ron Shimek has stated that the odds are very low, something like 95% of the worms we see are nothing to worry about.
So what worm do I have? I know my picture is bad and I have not figured out how to resize without losing quality. But this looks nothing like the bristles I usually find in my tanks. The color in the picture is also not the same as what it was. I have another critter I am dying to ID that was "baby pink" but looks orange in the picture. This looks the same as the worms ID as Fireworm on
Dr Ron Shimek site.

But I have bigger worries than and ID for the worm. I don't think I am supposed to have zoanthid eating spiders in my tank either. I have gotten more nasty's from some rock I purchased from a LSF last month than I have ever seen since being in the salt habit. (yes I said habit) The rock was cheap but an awesome purple. I am beginning to realize why it might have been such a bargain!

BTW melev, I purchased one of your RO/DI units some time ago. Do you still sell them? I am working on building a new tank on a different floor and I will need a second RO/DI unit.
Old 10/14/2007, 11:22 PM
One Good Friend

All the pics above except for tim's are supposed "fire worms" but i'm wondering if thats just what people call them common name wise. IME i've never had problems with them ever eating corals, only snails when they are larger than 6"