Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/11/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Star Polyps Spreading?? (pics)

Is the purple slime underneath my star polyps an attempt at spreading out?
Or is it just red slime algae?

Its been building up over the past few days and only around the star polyps...

Thanks!!
Old 10/11/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

Star polyps aren't lps corals so wrong forum.

But what I can tell you is that the red stuff is red slime algae. Suck it out of the tank and if it comes back use some stuff that kills slime algae. Forgot the name but there is something you can use that will kill it and not hurt fish, corals, and invertebrates.
Old 10/11/2007, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

just gotta get my 2cents in here too The red slime is a sign that the tank isn't receiving as much flow as it could or should be. And besides, star polyps thrive under high high current. What kinda powerheads do you have in there? and how big is your tank?
Old 10/12/2007, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

Its a 75G tank. I have 2 Tunze Nano 6025's (660gph each) and I have my return pump giving me about 400gph.
There's a decent amount of flow going through my tank, especially where the star polyps are. The current flows over them nicely.

Is suction my only alternative to getting the red slime algae out?

I just installed a Phosphate reactor 2 days ago. Will it help?
Old 10/12/2007, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

Yes the phosphate reactor should help. But suck it out now to try and cripple it from the get go. Use RO water for water changes and try and keep your nutrients lower and you shouldn't have a red slime algae problem. It can quickly overtake corals and smother them out so be sure to vaccum it up when possible.

Scott
Old 10/12/2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

red slime is not algae, it's cyanobacteria
Old 10/12/2007, 12:25 PM
NaH2O

Quote:
Originally posted by burris
red slime is not algae, it's cyanobacteria
Amen
Old 10/12/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Its a 75G tank. I have 2 Tunze Nano 6025's (660gph each) and I have my return pump giving me about 400gph.
There's a decent amount of flow going through my tank, especially where the star polyps are.
But if you're getting red slime, you could use more. That puts you at about 23x. I'd aim for closer to 30. Add another one of those Tunze Nanos and see if it doesn't help.

Quote:
Is suction my only alternative to getting the red slime algae out?
There are some red slime removers on the market that seem to be safe, but if you don't get to the root of the problem, it'll just come back. You're better off siphoning it out, using only RODI water, keeping up your water changes, and increasing your flow.
Old 10/12/2007, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

OK, I suctioned it out and did water change. My phosphate reactor is already beginnign to make a difference. I had some hair algae around and its beginning to fade away.
Will lower phosphates starve the red slime as well?
Old 10/12/2007, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

Hard to say. Technically, red slime is a bacteria and not an algae, and it's usually associated with new tanks and not enough water flow. Not sure if phosphate plays a role.
Old 10/12/2007, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

refugium is good. What kinda sump do you have? If you get some chaeto, caulerpa etc. they will greatly help filter out phosphate nitrate, and control pH swings etc. I recommend getting one. A must for every sucessful reef.
Old 10/12/2007, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

refugium is good. What kinda sump do you have? If you get some chaeto, caulerpa etc. they will greatly help filter out phosphate nitrate, and control pH swings etc. I recommend getting one. A must for every sucessful reef.

EDIT:sry for double post, accidentally clicked 2x
Old 10/13/2007, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

Yeah I have a fuge (20G) with tons of chaeto in it. I'll try pointing my powerheads differently and see if that helps. If not then maybe I'll get another powerhead in there...
Old 10/15/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

burris, thanks for the correction. Not sure why I put algae after the name red slime. lol.

If all else fails, there is a chemical.......anyone remember the name? It kills red slime and does not effect inverts or fish. It comes in a powder.........I've used it before.......can't remember the name!
Old 10/15/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

That would be awesome to know cause after suctioning out the red slime, moving the powerheads around, and installing the phosphate reactor, its still trying to make a comeback. Its trying to creep up in the same area of the tank (front and center).
Old 10/16/2007, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

I think the chemical you are referring to is Boyd's chemi-clean. Just search some place like marine depot for red slime remover. But make it a last resort because there have been reports of the stuff coming back stronger than ever and a bit resistant if you haven't done anything to also correct the problem.

And slightly OT, reefynewby, a refugium is not "a must for every sucessful reef." A lot of people use them successfully. Some people, like myself, don't. I think a lot of the BB folks don't use them either. And I definitely don't see my tank crashing anytime soon. Very few things in this hobby are an absolute "must."
Old 10/16/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

MSN - I definitely want it to be a last resort, but I'm not sure what else to do now. I've moved my powerheads around and there is flow going directly over the area where the red slime is growing. I don't think flow is the problem.
I've installed a phosphate remover and my phosphates are <1ppm.
Last week I suctioned out the red slime that had built up, but now its coming back.
What else can I do????
Old 10/16/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

The only other thing I can think of is to reduce your phosphates even more by increasing the amount of phosphate remover you're using. With a good test kit (i.e. the Hannah types), phosphates should be .03 or less. With any test kit using the color charts (i.e. salifert), phosphate should be undetectable.

Also, you never said what kind of water you're using. You are using RODI right?
Old 10/16/2007, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

Yes, I'm using RODI.
For P04 I'm using a color test kit (API) and its definitely not undetectable. Its somewhere between .05 and .1

I'll run another test today and see where its at.