Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/10/2007, 03:01 AM
Registered Member

One Problem, One Question

I guess ill start with the question i have... What do you guys with large smashers use to transport your mantis in? After trying plastic bags, i quickly realized that was not going to work when all the water was missing. I then tried these hard plastic ziplock containers. Here is what happened...

So there was enough water where the mantis was ok, but still.

What do you guys (or gals) use for transportation????

And here is my problem...

It happened quickly after i acclimated him back into his tank. I guess he was still upset from the transportation. What do i need to do? All of the black balls are in the tank now. Everything has been normal since it broke.

He is a 4 inch G. Chigara btw.

Thanks everyone
Old 10/10/2007, 05:41 AM
Where the future begins!

My LFS sent my gal home with me in a large styrofoam transport container. I then acclimated her in a thick mixing bowl. No problems at all. You'd probably be safe with using one of the same mixing bowls I did. You can get them just about anywhere for a couple bucks a piece.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 10/10/2007, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

YOu need to get the black beads out of your tank, I think those are lead balls and will slowly poison your tank.

Good luck
Old 10/10/2007, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

Thats what i was afraid of. They are pretty much impossible to get out without taking every piece of rock out and scrubbing, and then most of the sand.

Do you mean like thick tupperwear containers? Ill have to look for some like that.

Thanks
Old 10/10/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

You need to get the lead out -- all of it -- pronto. If there's any doubt about whether there is still any in there, dump all sand and rock and start over, if you value the life of the mantis. Sorry...

Never use glass heaters or thermometers in a smasher tank. Lesson learned, I guess.

Tampa Bay Saltwater ships their N. wennerae in spring water bottles. Seems to work fine. The peacocks that I've received mail order came in three or four nested layers of heavy plastic bags (the kinds the LFS use). No spillage incidents.

Dan
Old 10/10/2007, 01:21 PM
Premium Member

I agree, the lead has to go. Just be glad it wasn't a mercury filled hydrometer. I've had a few of them broken over the years.

My suggestions for shipping are pinned above. I routinely use spring water bottles of various sizes. Just make sure that the plastic bottles only ever contained water! I also like cubitainers that are available from scientific supply companies and industrial suppliers. (REI used to carry them as well.) I typically bring back from the field 30 or 40 one-liter cubitainers with animals and I have never had one punctured.

Roy
Old 10/10/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

Alright I will take your guys advice and start over with the tank.

I appreciate all the input, I will have to get some cubitaners also.

Thanks again
Old 10/10/2007, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

I had a my themometer smashed too and mine had mild steel/iron balls in it. i thought i had gotten all of them out but for the next month i'd find little brown patches around the tank each with a little rusty steel ball sitting in the middle of it... PITA!

I think i've fixed the problem though. I cut an under gravel filter riser tube to 6" long and used a couple of heater suction cups to stick it to the side of the tank. Now my hygrometer/thermometer sits in there.
Charles (my mantis) gave it a good crack when I first put it in and all was good!

Rich.