Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/08/2007, 08:14 AM
Registered Member

to change or not to change?

Hi,
I'm very new, set up my46gal last week. ammonia has dropped from 2 to .25 in 5 days. nitrites is 0 ppm. hydrometer is 1.022. 2 test hermits and 2 snails are loving life. this is my question. do i need to change the water before adding livestock? i want to add a cleaner package this week (by the way, it contains 3 cleaner shrimp and a banded coral shrimp). the cured Marshall island rock i received has almost no dead matter and smelled like the ocean when i got it. there is no smell coming from the tank except salt water smell). i have one friend saying change water weekly, one saying change once, one saying change 70% in a month, one saying don't touch it. SO...what do i do? i am inclined to change now, wait 3 days, add cleaners, wait about a week, make sure all is zero then add fish? any suggestions?
thanks
Old 10/08/2007, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

what is your nitrate level? afaik, a good sized waterchange at the end of the cycle is a good idea because it will lower your nitrate level, and help minimize algae outbreaks. from then on, weekly changes are a good idea to maintain water quality.
Old 10/08/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

More people have opinions on water change during cycling so this thread could get very long. I agree with dwd5813
Wait until the cycle has completed (Am, nitrate and nitrite have risen, peeked and fallen to zero (could take weeks), at that point do a 30% +/- water change.

Personally, I do a 5% to 10% water change every week but I know people who do more and a couple that don’t do any.

I’m surprised your shrimp are still alive during the cycling. Normally you should only add life after the cycling has completed. As you introduce livestock do it slowly…add one…check the water…wait a week…add another. The biggest lessen I can share is – take your time…

You may want to increase your SG from 1.022 to 1.024 or 1.025..I keep mine at 1.025
Old 10/08/2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

wait 6 weeks before you start you water changes then once you start your water changes you can add fish and other crittters SLOWLY

click the red house to see pics of my tank....the better pics are at the bottom :D
Old 10/08/2007, 10:43 AM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
personally, i'd wait. i'd wait to do a water change, and i'd wait to add any livestock.

Quote:
set up my46gal last week. ammonia has dropped from 2 to .25 in 5 days. nitrites is 0 ppm.
a week is not very much time, and since your NH4 hasn't dropped to 0 yet, i'd wait. the nitrites may not have spiked yet, that's why your getting a 0 reading. i definately would wait on the cleanup crew.

i'd also bring your SG up slowly...as others have mentioned. i keep my tank at 1.025-1.026.
Old 10/08/2007, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

patience is a virtue, just take your time with it.
Old 10/08/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

thanks to all. i now have an educated idea of how to handle this.
Old 10/08/2007, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

I waited 6 weeks before adding anthing to my tank and no water changes during that time. Tanks need to mature and blaze98 is sooooooo right patience and then more patience.
That's why they call it cycling.....in the long run this patience pays off.
Good Luck and oh did I mention patience!