Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/01/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Starting BIG !!

Here is my story (and i'm sticking to it). I had a 55g freshwater setup about 15 years ago. I then setup a 110g saltwater fish aquarium (not very well) and killed off about $300 worth of fish. The SW tank sat in my basement for about 10 yrs and then I sold it. I am older now, and hopefully wiser, and am getting ready to start a reef aquarium in my new (and much larger) basement. I have 2 rooms, 1 is going to be my office (12'x14') and an adjacent room (12'x13') which is going to be my aquarium room. I will be planning and learning for quite a while before I attempt to put anything live in this setup so please offer every suggestion you like. I am building a 72"x48"x24" tall acrylic aquarium ( I am actually very good with acrylic, much better than with fish, so far). The 72" long side will be in the wall and be seen in the office. The total volume (if I have my calculations correct) will be 359g. The tank will rest on a custom built structure of 2x6's every 12" and 3 4x4 posts on each 2x6 (one each end and one in the middle), this will rest on a concrete floor in the basement. I think that part I am OK with, but if not, please let me know. Here is the hard part: I know nothing about seting this up for living organizms. I know that I need some kind of lighting, salt water mix, an RO unit (not sure how big), a sump box (not sure how big, or exactly how it works), a protein skimmer (i know the term, don't know what it is), and a bunch of filtration (again, no clue what or how). I would like to put the sump box on the other side of the room but i am not sure how to get the water from the tank to the sump, I would like to run the plumbing inside of the walls (i am just starting to frame the room now), or up in the ceiling. I would really like to run them in the ceiling but i think i would need a pump for that.
I will post some pics as i go along. I will also post alot more questions (ha ha) so thanks in advance for the help. Rick
Old 10/01/2007, 11:43 PM
Premium Member

My advice, read and then when you are done reading, read a little bit more. It amazed me how much i had thought i had read, i thought i had it all figured out (equipment wise) until i ran into scenarios where i knew nothing about what i was doing, but then i read somemore and solved my problem...

Also since you have room, make acces panels to stuff. It sucks when you are bent over backwards, or up on tip-toes trying to reach a leaky pipe or plug a cord in
Old 10/02/2007, 12:10 AM
Premium Member

Welcome

Sounds like a fun and ambitious project, I'm jealous!

Make sure to check out the Large Reef Forums and the Do It Yourself forum.
Old 10/02/2007, 01:39 AM
Premium Member

You could contact a good LFS and perhaps hire someone from the LFS to help you set it up. Try to be as practical as possible when it comes to being able to get inside your tank for water changes and other reasons. Plan your budget, perhaps you can pick up some used items.
Old 10/02/2007, 02:59 AM
Registered Member

Re: Starting BIG !!

Quote:
Originally posted by diablorick
Here is my story (and i'm sticking to it). I had a 55g freshwater setup about 15 years ago. I then setup a 110g saltwater fish aquarium (not very well) and killed off about $300 worth of fish. The SW tank sat in my basement for about 10 yrs and then I sold it. I am older now, and hopefully wiser, and am getting ready to start a reef aquarium in my new (and much larger) basement. I have 2 rooms, 1 is going to be my office (12'x14') and an adjacent room (12'x13') which is going to be my aquarium room. I will be planning and learning for quite a while before I attempt to put anything live in this setup so please offer every suggestion you like. I am building a 72"x48"x24" tall acrylic aquarium ( I am actually very good with acrylic, much better than with fish, so far). The 72" long side will be in the wall and be seen in the office. The total volume (if I have my calculations correct) will be 359g. The tank will rest on a custom built structure of 2x6's every 12" and 3 4x4 posts on each 2x6 (one each end and one in the middle), this will rest on a concrete floor in the basement. I think that part I am OK with, but if not, please let me know. Here is the hard part: I know nothing about seting this up for living organizms. I know that I need some kind of lighting, salt water mix, an RO unit (not sure how big), a sump box (not sure how big, or exactly how it works), a protein skimmer (i know the term, don't know what it is), and a bunch of filtration (again, no clue what or how). I would like to put the sump box on the other side of the room but i am not sure how to get the water from the tank to the sump, I would like to run the plumbing inside of the walls (i am just starting to frame the room now), or up in the ceiling. I would really like to run them in the ceiling but i think i would need a pump for that.
I will post some pics as i go along. I will also post alot more questions (ha ha) so thanks in advance for the help. Rick
Hmmm
I would Recommend more 4x4 "legs" This will help Distribute the weight more evenly. I would say at least 4 per 2x6. As far as a Sump Goes if Money isnt an Option (IE your not worried about cost) i would use something like whats at this link>>> http://www.saltycritter.com/ecosystem-mud-filter.htm <<< But as i said Not really cost effective Basically Keeping stuff alive depends on a few factors all of which i dont know BUT i would start with a Quality Salt Like Instant Ocean, Or Reef crystals Or if you have lots of money to spend i would use > http://www.naturesocean.com/nutri_sea_water.htm<< Again NOT cost effective. Also You will want a Good Quality Sand such as Carbi Sea or http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...5&pcatid=16765 And you will want about 1 to 2 pounds per gallon of water, so your going to need a MASSIVE amount of sand anyway from 359lbs too 718 lbs of sand (but on the up note you don't have to buy all live sand Normal Argonite is fine with one or two bags of Live Sand to seed the rest. You will also want about 400Lbs Of Live Rock. So once the tank is built you have all your sand and Live rock in then you mix your salt and water to a SG of between 1.020 and 1.025 and Fill your tank up. Now here comes the Hardest part to me, Put in a Few Cocktail Shrimp and WAIT for anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months, Let the Shrimp rot Away(might want to pull the tails off) Also i would Buy a Few Power heads For Flow in that big of a tank you will want some powerful ones like Vortec's. Once You get an Ammonia Spike And your Ammonia,Nitrate,and Nitrite Return to 0 acroos the board your tank should be considered Cycled, this is where most people recommend a water change from 10 to 25% of the water in the tank and BOOM Should be rdy for fish. Take in this is a VERY basic idea on how to CYCLE a tank and that MANY people on here may correct me on parts im wrong on which is good this is just about Exactly how i have done my 20g (Still Cycling)

Freedom Must occasionally be renewed with the blood of patriots-General Patton
Old 10/02/2007, 05:25 AM
Registered Member

WOW ... that is a huge project for someone so inexperienced to take on!!
I admire your courage!!

My advice to you is to keep focused to digest all the info your about to receive but to keep an open mind on different aspects.

Basically there are lots of different opinions on methods and livestock and equipment that we all vary in our ways so unfortunately I would say your about to be bombarded with far to much information.

Knowing what I know now, this is what I would do.

I assume you've thought carefull about the budget on this project, costs for this will be high but we have to assume your ok with that... I would have reservations for someone of your experience setting this up with just advice from us (RC) you will have to much different info that may make different aspects non compatible imho. You need to spend a lot of money, ok your doing your own tank and stand but if you find a reputable LFS and tell them what your planning go and see them! They will realise that your waving lots of money in front of them and should bend over backwards to help... you really need to liase with a very experienced reefer or shop on a one to one basis, get this wrong & it'll cost you a fortune!
Get the shop to come up with the equipment thats compatible with all your requirements....also the best thing to do once you've found a good LFS is ask for some referals. They must have many customers and some that may already be on the scale you aspire to. Get them to contact them and arange a visit. All proud refers will make you welcome and would be only to willing to share tips on equipment and techniques, (after all reefers are born show offs where their tanks are concerned) and you'll be able to see first hand how its done.

Basically what i'm saying is you really need someone face to face to take you under their wing and guide you..but whoever does this you have to make sure they know 1.what their doing and 2. what you want.
You get a potential new friend + lots of contacts, guidance and you have a fabulous hobby in common.

By all means check in here and get valued opinions but you really will need more than that.

Whatever you decide.. bloody good luck to you and keep us updated.
Old 10/02/2007, 05:54 AM
Registered Member

you know what they say.....go big or go home! glad to see you're going big!
Old 10/02/2007, 07:31 AM
Premium Member

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend $25,000. That would be my budget for the project anyway. Best advice for someone starting a project like that... get lots of help. There are likely people in your area who would love to help.

Your sump should be a 60 gal or so... check out melev's site for sump ideas.
http://www.melevsreef.com/

You're also going to want a set up of 10-20 gal quarentine tanks. There's no way you should ever put anything in your display without clearing it of any possible pathogens. You've killed fish in the past, but's it's a whole different game in 400 gallons. There's no way you're getting a sick fish out of there. You've got to prevent illness rather than deal with it. All stock should be treated with either hyposalinity or copper based treatments before you put them in. You almost need a degree in vet medicine to start a project like this.

Look at some of the "tank of the month" descriptions for ideas... yours is certainly of the same scope as some of the larger ones.
Old 10/02/2007, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

WOW, you guys are awesome! I really apreciate all of the input! I did leave out one small fact, my good friend has been doing reef aquariums for years (i decided to do this after checking out his stuff for the last 2 years) He has 2, 200+ gallon tanks and a 90g. He has a whole basement full of equipment (not sure what it all is) but i know he has protein skimmers and calcium reactors. He will be helping me through the whole thing but has limited time. I am not sure what he does but i think he somehow breeds his own stuff (corals and fish I think). So I do have some expert help but not all of the time, and I don't want to bug him to death so I figured I would try to get some of the answers on my own.
My budget is $15,000.00. I am very good at building things and I intend to build everything I can myself (that's really why I am doing this, just to build everything). So any advise on building stuff for the tank will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10/02/2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
WOW, you guys are awesome! I really apreciate all of the input! I did leave out one small fact, my good friend has been doing reef aquariums for years (i decided to do this after checking out his stuff for the last 2 years) He has 2, 200+ gallon tanks and a 90g. He has a whole basement full of equipment (not sure what it all is) but i know he has protein skimmers and calcium reactors. He will be helping me through the whole thing but has limited time. I am not sure what he does but i think he somehow breeds his own stuff (corals and fish I think). So I do have some expert help but not all of the time, and I don't want to bug him to death so I figured I would try to get some of the answers on my own.
My budget is $15,000.00. I am very good at building things and I intend to build everything I can myself (that's really why I am doing this, just to build everything). So any advise on building stuff for the tank will be greatly appreciated.
Well Here is another HUGE money Saver For you. This Link will tell you how to make your own Live Rock (which usually Cost you an arm and a Leg to buy 4.99 per lb and UP.) http://www.athiel.com/lib3/arago.htm There is a LFS in Toledo Ohio Called Ocean Treasures 3334 Glanzman Rd. Toledo, OH 43614
Mon - Sat 12pm - 8pm, Sun. 12pm - 5pm
419-382-8744 I would give them a call for Advice (i really trust this shop and the owner is a great Guy) I figure since your in NE Ohio Toledo shouldn't be Super Far.

Old 10/02/2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Here is the layout for the stand.
Old 10/02/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Here is the layout for the stand.
I would Still add MORE 4x4s You have to consider that your dealing with 2980lbs in water weight, another 359 to 700 lbs of sand and prolly 400+ lbs live rock Thats a total weight of 3740 Roughly and i know i surely wouldn't want to see the whole project crash to the floor. I would Add another row of 4x4s on each side of the 3 deep you already are planing Better Safe than Sorry!!!!!!

Old 10/02/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vinnie71975
Well Here is another HUGE money Saver For you. This Link will tell you how to make your own Live Rock (which usually Cost you an arm and a Leg to buy 4.99 per lb and UP.) http://www.athiel.com/lib3/arago.htm There is a LFS in Toledo Ohio Called Ocean Treasures 3334 Glanzman Rd. Toledo, OH 43614
Mon - Sat 12pm - 8pm, Sun. 12pm - 5pm
419-382-8744 I would give them a call for Advice (i really trust this shop and the owner is a great Guy) I figure since your in NE Ohio Toledo shouldn't be Super Far.
By the way the Owner of this shop is a DIY wiz and could prolly help you on how to build sump/fuge Etc.

Old 10/02/2007, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shagsbeard
Sounds like a wonderful way to spend $25,000. That would be my budget for the project anyway. Best advice for someone starting a project like that... get lots of help. There are likely people in your area who would love to help.

Your sump should be a 60 gal or so... check out melev's site for sump ideas.
http://www.melevsreef.com/

You're also going to want a set up of 10-20 gal quarentine tanks. There's no way you should ever put anything in your display without clearing it of any possible pathogens. You've killed fish in the past, but's it's a whole different game in 400 gallons. There's no way you're getting a sick fish out of there. You've got to prevent illness rather than deal with it. All stock should be treated with either hyposalinity or copper based treatments before you put them in. You almost need a degree in vet medicine to start a project like this.

Look at some of the "tank of the month" descriptions for ideas... yours is certainly of the same scope as some of the larger ones.
I disagree i would go with at least a 100g sump if i had this tank i would use a 180g Fuge on it, thats just me though. Oh ya BTW water weights 8.3 lbs per gallon so ya MASSIVE amount of weight in this tank.