Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/30/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy my new fish jumped in my overflow... how do I get her out

I got a new bi-color blenny 4 weeks ago, I thought she was a gonner the first night, then I found her in my overflow.

How can I get her out of there? Can't catch her in a net.

Thanks,
-dk
Old 09/30/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

What kind of overflow? can you describe.....
Old 09/30/2007, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

Deb,
Expect it to take a while to do and be a pain, but the way that I have been the most successful is to put a small net down in the overflow(does not matter the size as you are not using it to catch the fish), the fish will come up away from it. I put my hand in and actually make a strainer of my fingers and get under the fish and then gently lift it out. I can usually catch one this way in about 15-20 min or so.

One word of caution, I left a fish in there thinking I would get it out tomorrow and it got sucked down the overflow and clogged it, causing the water from the sump to all be pumped up to the tank, almost overflowed, and I lost the fish, so whatever method you use, try to do it asap.

Good luck,
K
Old 09/30/2007, 09:47 PM
Be the valve.

Deb and Karvin in one post, my lucky day.

Can you turn off the return pump and just pour the fish back to the tank? I know this will require re-starting the overflow but it might be the least trauma to the fish?
Old 09/30/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

It's an all-glass aquarium, with built in overflow. It's got a drain tube and tube to pump water back into tank. The fish can lay herself into the side on bottom. I've banged up my knuckles trying to get her out around those tubes. I've tried flooding the area buy blocking drain so she could just swim into the tank..... but she doesn't. I've tried taking as much water as possible out of the area so she has less water to swim in..........

-dk
Old 09/30/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Deb, I used to have that problem with my old 125. I used to drain as much water out as I could and then go in with a net and work the net around the tubes and try and pin the fish up against the glass and then scoop them up. My hands are way too big to fit into the over flow but I could get a pretty good sized, medium net in there.
Old 09/30/2007, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

If its like my all glass built in you can plug both bulkheads with a threaded cap and remove both the standpipe and the return. Drain some of the water and then have more free movement to catch the guy. Option 2 is to attach a large return hose and remove the standpipe with pump on and flush him down to the sump, only works if he is small enough to go down.
Old 09/30/2007, 10:19 PM
Be the valve.

I remember using a 1" tygon tube to siphon a sick fish out of a hole in a rock one time. Desperate times you know....

By the way, how do you know it's a her?
Old 09/30/2007, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by osprey77
If its like my all glass built in you can plug both bulkheads with a threaded cap and remove both the standpipe and the return. Drain some of the water and then have more free movement to catch the guy. Option 2 is to attach a large return hose and remove the standpipe with pump on and flush him down to the sump, only works if he is small enough to go down.
I have had success with both of these methods.
Old 10/01/2007, 01:31 AM
Premium Member

I just used my hand to help a clownfish out of a similar situation yesterday. Good luck!

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats
Old 10/01/2007, 08:24 AM
Premium Member

I made acrylic lids for both of my overflows & painted them with white epoxy. Hope that helps in the future.

Stu
Old 10/01/2007, 10:21 AM
Premium Member

i pulled the drainpipe out of the overflow and the water drains and I am then usually able to net the fish.
Old 10/01/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Del - I think it's a "her" because she wanted her own dressing room.

-dk
Old 10/01/2007, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

stugray, can you post a pic of your lids?
Old 10/01/2007, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Deb- I think I would also try what Del said, getting the largest inner diameter tube you can find that will fit in the overflow easily enough and siphon her out if nothing else seems to be working.