Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/24/2007, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

diy reflectors

does anyone know the name of the metal or a place where i can get some to build my own reflectors?
Old 09/25/2007, 09:58 AM
Premium Member

Not the answer you were looking for....

In most cases DIY reflectors are not worth the trouble. A reflectors job is to efficiently move light from the bulb to the tank. The shape is very critical with regards to this process. Differences between the best reflectors can be as much as 20%! A DIY unit may easily be 60% less efficient than a modestly prices OEM unit.

What kind of lighting are you going to be using?
Old 09/25/2007, 11:39 AM
Premium Member

This is DIY and made out of aluminum flashing. Was going to polish these up, but I am just going to remake them out of the solar tubing (ie. tubing for skylights). This was not my design, just so you know. Got it off another person on RC.
tom
Old 09/25/2007, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Home Depot or Lowes sell's them. They are extention tubes for Solor tube skylights as "TomRep" mentioned. After you see the price there asking you might thing about just buying the ready made ones.
Old 09/25/2007, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

I agree with Bean and SCR.
I also investigated making my own reflectors as I am a big DIY person. What I found is that it is cheaper to buy a reflector than to make it yourself.
I ended up buying a 24" PFO parallel from Premium Aquatics and finished out the rest of the hood.
The mirror finished aluminum would have cost me more than what I spent.
Old 09/25/2007, 12:54 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

Bean's favorite Subject!
Old 09/25/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Another thread today about it over here.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1209047

I am going to have to talk to some of our guys in R&D and see what they think.
Old 09/25/2007, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

If you must DIY a reflector, then that is the only style that should be considered. DIY parabolics are a 100% waste of time.

That said, errors in bending and irregularities in the surfaces still count. You can not just guess at the sizes and angles and come up with something that is anywhere near as good as the original engineered shape. THe bulb placement within the fixture is also very critical to its overall performance.
Old 09/25/2007, 08:04 PM
Premium Member

Was the question where to get the metal for a diy reflector or was it what is your opinion of diy reflectors?

Great job on your reflector Tomrep!!Do you have a link?

Hey Cutnup,long time no see.We got to get a dive trip in the works!!!!!!
The ones I have were made from the sun tube material.I bought it from lowes for about $35.
Old 09/25/2007, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

Sory I just noticed the link from cannarella.
Old 09/25/2007, 09:26 PM
ummmmmm yeah

My cost on mirror finished 3'x8' 30 gague metal is 390.00+ and I get metal from a metal wholsaler for my HVAC business. Not the cheapiest route. Plus you need the equipment to bend and fabricate these up in a decent manor so you don't loose all of your light.
Old 09/25/2007, 11:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Was the question where to get the metal for a diy reflector or was it what is your opinion of diy reflectors?
I take that as a snyde remark directed towards me? Did it occur to you that the exchange of information is what furthers knowledge? Maybe we should all only speak when spoken to and never offer opinion or informed information? Maybe we could even have the mods limit comments to only direct answers to questions.

I tire of posts like yours that are meant as nothing more than cheap insults. I have offered kind wisdom, take it or leave it. If you disagree with my opnion or information then please articulate why in a kind manner.
Old 09/25/2007, 11:39 PM
Premium Member

Spectral Aluminum

You may want to check out another material, spectral aluminum, at the bottom of this webpage: http://www.aquatictech.com/lighting.html
Old 09/26/2007, 06:42 AM
Premium Member

Hmm, what is spectral aluminum? Is it the stuff that is shiny but has a bubbled/rough surface? Never heard it called that. Anyway, to set the record straight a bit. I agree that making your own light setup, period, is not the best way to go. By this, most anything to do with lighting including reflectors. There is almost no way to save money by doing it yourself. Everytime I mess with any lighting, I could have gone out and bought what I was looking to make for about the same money. However, on these reflectors I- a) wanted the challenge and b) needed a custome size that I couldn't find anywhere. Also, even if I left this aluminum flashing un polished, it would still be an improvement from what I had before, if that tells you anything!
tom
Old 09/26/2007, 08:43 AM
Premium Member

Tom,

as long as you are happy that is all that counts. I am not taking anything away from your DIY On the same token, it is important for others to understand what I have said, and what you just said as well!
Old 09/26/2007, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

Sometimes things come out different when they are typed and not spoken.Did not mean to upset you Bean or anyone else.My question was not ment to be directed at any one person, if this next part offends anybody,SORRY.

I am really interested in where to get some reflector material as well so I am following this thread.I have made one so far out of the stuff I talked about in my earlier post.I would like to see where people are getting there stuff from so maby I can try something different.Out of the seven replies before mine,five of them had nothing to do with the question.I was just trying to get things back on track.But now I am wondering if any one has done any test with home made reflectors vs store bought ones.If so what where the results?I tried a search but it's not working right now.Maby I will start a new thread for this subject.
Old 09/26/2007, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/articles.htm

Sanjay has several very good reflector articles. Even among the "better" reflectors tested, there are large differences in overall efficiency.

A reflector is a rather complex piece of equipment. It must take light that is bing radiated in ALL directions and re-direct it into the desired focus area. The light must be redirected with as few reflections as possible because each reflection scatters (wastes) some of the light.

In the same manner, you would not take a coke bottle and saw off the bottom to DIY an eyeglasses lens. Yes it bends light, but it does not do so in a useful manner.

The problem is that most people do not understand (or care to understand) that a reflectors efficiency is rooted in some rather complex math and physics. To most it is just a shiny hunk of aluminum that will work no matter what the shape or surface texture.

Some manufacturers in the hobby are starting to realize that well engineered reflectors can make a huge difference in the efficiency of a lighting system. In the past they too sold poorly designed peices of aluminum and called them reflectors.

As for sources for DIY materials... a few have been mentioned already. The solatube material is by far one of the better choices. As I mentioned, if you still feel that DIY is a good idea then the lumenarc design is something to mimic.
Old 09/26/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

anyone ever try a mirror?
Old 09/26/2007, 08:43 PM
Brighter the better

i think as bean would say, a mirror will not work like you think it would. the light has to pass through the glass 2 times befor it goes to the tank. in doing so it will screw up the light waves and be inafishent. well bean would say it a little diff, but i think you would get the idea
Old 09/26/2007, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

You did just fine on your own.
Old 09/26/2007, 09:37 PM
Brighter the better

thanks
Old 09/27/2007, 12:04 AM
Registered Member

I found this place. Not cheap though..
http://www.thiettranscitekgardensupp...?prodid=960209
Old 09/29/2007, 10:34 PM
ummmmmm yeah

Quote:
Originally posted by Elite
I found this place. Not cheap though..
http://www.thiettranscitekgardensupp...?prodid=960209
Price wise that does not look to bad. And they are in small sizes were you can ship with FedEx or someone like that saving lots of money. I might give these a try.

Anyone else have links to other highly reflective metals used in making reflectors. TIA
Old 10/02/2007, 10:43 PM
Premium Member

This is with the solartube, in case anyone was wondering.
tom