Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/24/2007, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

is the orchid dottback really mean ?

I was wondering if the fish is mean i would like to have one for my 165 gallon tank but dont want him if he is going to pick on my flasher wrasse or my green chromis .Also i will be adding a bluespotted jawfish and a spottail shrimp goby.
Old 09/24/2007, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

I wouldn't do it because of their aggressive nature. Fridmani, Sprineri, or Pseudo. elongatus are more suitable, smaller and less aggressive species.
Old 09/24/2007, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Fridmani is an orchid dottyback.
Old 09/24/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

what would you get as a small fish ? thanks for the input reefer a do you like chalk bass maybe 3 of them?
Old 09/24/2007, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

IMO, tank bred Fridmani (Orchids) are among the most peaceful of the dottybacks. In fact, I have one with my clown and neon gobies and he/she completely ignores them. Combining with another dottyback could be asking for trouble. Love that fish!
Old 09/24/2007, 09:15 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I have had several Orchids. I will always have one in my reef. It will freak if you add similar body type fish after it is established. In a big enough tank, it'll pass, if you don't add too many such fish. i have paired two, not easy but it's doable. They are full of personality and very beautiful.
Old 09/24/2007, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking of the arabian for some reason when I wrote that.
Old 09/24/2007, 10:46 PM
Team RC Member

Damsels have nothing on dottybacks. I've heard they're remotely related to wolf eels, and I believe it...they harass other fish, I swear, for the enjoyment of it. For the record, mine was a yellow, not an orchid.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 09/24/2007, 11:27 PM
Premium Member

i love chalkbass... they aren't agressive at all... very peaceful.. they hover like hummingbirds and then dart around really fast.
The only issue with chalkbass is they sprint to food, and may outcompete more deliberate, slow eaters.
Old 09/25/2007, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

I love the arabian/neon pseudos. They'll try to harass anybody, but in my experience, they were too small to do much more than chase. I had one try to chase a foxface rabbitfish once. In a 165g tank...I can't see one really being able to do any damage in that amount of space. There should be plenty of room for the other fish to get away if need be.
Old 09/25/2007, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

Orchids are known to be the LEAST aggressive of all dottybacks. Just be sure to avoid the purple or strawberry dottyback. Those are mean fish, very aggressive..
I'm watching for an OD to become available near me ( as long as its not PETCO!) so I can get one..

Matthew
Old 09/25/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Captive bred orchid dottybacks are pretty docile. I've kept several orchids over the years and have never had a problem. My second dottyback was somewhat territorial with a Royal Gramma but there was never any damage. They would both flare their fins occassionally when they crossed paths but that was about it. I would think that a captive bred orchid dottyback would ignore the green chromis and the flasher wrasse. I would add the jawfish and goby first and you should have no problems. Keep us posted.
Old 09/25/2007, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

a fish that is very similar to the orchid dottyback and actually better looking in my opinion is the blackcap basslet. It is also a much less aggressive fish. Cheaper as well, I think they are under $20 from reeftopia, that is where I got mine and it was nice sized and in great shape.

Old 09/25/2007, 07:44 PM
RC Sponsor

How about the sunrise dottyback? They are very nice looking fish and the tank bred are fairly docile even compared to tank bred orchid dottybacks.
Old 09/26/2007, 07:38 AM
Anti "So called Expert"

Just to clarify, Wild Caught Orchid Dottybacks can be very territorial towards other fish and can dominate larger fish but very few wild specimans are sold these days and most specimans available are CB which can be docile and good for community tanks. You just need to make sure that the ones you're looking at are CB.
Old 09/26/2007, 08:26 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by Cultivatedcoral
How about the sunrise dottyback? They are very nice looking fish and the tank bred are fairly docile even compared to tank bred orchid dottybacks.
I had a flavivertix many years ago. Extremely aggressive. He was wild caught back then though.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 09/26/2007, 04:40 PM
RC Sponsor

SDguy,

The flavivertex captive bred from ORA are not very aggressive at all. 3 months in one of my tanks and they already spawned. Awesome fish.

Nick