Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/23/2007, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

72 bow front MH or T-5 ??

After a lot of moving around, changing job ect.. I have finally found myself with a job i wont move around so much and soon to have a 72 bow front.

I have mostly everything narrowed down , just trying to make the lighting final.
i am looking at either :

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~SL2121.html

or

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~AQ1831.html

There is a price difference, so if i went with the T-5 i could probably add a wavy sea or a sea swirl

I guess i am maybe looking for some pics, and some opinions
Thanx
Chris

Forgot to mention this tank will be sps dominant ....
Old 09/23/2007, 01:18 AM
Premium Member

i would go with the 250w HQI but get retro's so that you can use the same lighting no matter what your tank size is.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquari...reflector.html
then get retro T5's
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquari...it_system.html
Old 09/23/2007, 01:20 AM
Premium Member

i also like the Phoenix blub's
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...y_Code=mh-250w
Old 09/23/2007, 01:28 AM
Registered Member

sorry no canopy or a canopy option
Old 09/24/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Id go with the T5's but I wouldn't get the TEK. I would contact Greg at Reefgeek and talk to him about getting the 8 bulb ATI powermodule. It is one of the best if not the best T5 fixtures out there but is a little more $. For about the same price you should look at the fixtures by aquactinics. I own a tek fixture and find Sunlight Supply to be the worst Customer service oriented company I have dealt with in this hobby. If anything goes on with the light plan on you being the one fixing it or paying for it. Also, aquactinics are more actively cooled etc etc and are putting out better numbers than the tek.
Just MHO.
Old 09/24/2007, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

I couldn't agree more with Serioussnaps.

Sunlight Supply totally sucks as a company. Also, their Teklights only put out 1/2 the Par of quality units like ATI, Fauna Marin, Aquatinics, which are fantastic companies to deal with besides!

I have a bowfront with a PowerModul and it rocks!!!

Here's a link with pics: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=3

Good luck,

James
Old 09/24/2007, 01:50 PM
Premium Member

Gotta dissagree. The 72 bowfront is only 12" wide at the corners and I think the powermodule would overhang your tank too much. I got the 5bulb Aquactinics (which is only 9" wide) on my 72 bow and love it.

James, you have a 90g bow, correct? What's its most narrow width and how wide is the powermodule?
Old 09/24/2007, 03:09 PM
Premium Member

MJ,

My 90 bow is 16" wide at the ends and my PM is about 15". I do have fans in the back and that pushes the fixture out a couple of inches so there is a 1" overhang at the corners. Its no problem as the PW looks so good and it gets more light to the widest part of my bow up front.

With 12" sides, a 6 bulb would be a better fit. I would call RG about an ATI SunPower as they come in 6 bulb configurations and cost much less than a PM with similar performance. Aquatinics are always a high quality option too.

James

Last edited by jamesdawson; 09/24/2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09/24/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJAnderson
Gotta dissagree. The 72 bowfront is only 12" wide at the corners and I think the powermodule would overhang your tank too much. I got the 5bulb Aquactinics (which is only 9" wide) on my 72 bow and love it.

James, you have a 90g bow, correct? What's its most narrow width and how wide is the powermodule?
You disagree but agree. You still think he should avoid the tek and go with aquactinics which was one of my suggestions.

ATI powermodule>>>>>>>much nicer than even aquactinics
Old 09/24/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

I've got an oceanic 74 bow. I run a 48" Coralife PC 4x65W fixture with actnics and then 2 250W 10k XMs which are retrofit in like so:

Old 09/24/2007, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Serioussnaps
You disagree but agree. You still think he should avoid the tek and go with aquactinics which was one of my suggestions.

ATI powermodule>>>>>>>much nicer than even aquactinics
Well avoiding Tek is a given...

Not sure how wide the 6 bulb ATI is but the 6 bulb Tek was 15". Have to image they are about the same width. The Aquactinics have the bulbs/reflectors in a parabolic configuration, so it only takes up 9". If the ATI fits, go for it. But I don't think it does.
Old 09/24/2007, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

I have 75gal with 3 250W MH (14000K).