Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/22/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

bluejaw trigger -what color are they?

Ive seen somepictures of these and they are beautiful, other pictures not so much.
I see this pic of a female, and it makes me want to put this in my 75g FOWLR all by itself
http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/tri...awaiianfemale/

is this what they will look like, or do they have different colors? Maybe the male is what I thought was ugly? Also I read that these tend to leave snails and hermits alone. Any experience with these?
Old 09/22/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

http://www.masna.org/gallery/data/50...Boo4-23-05.JPG

see this one looks green, the other is a beautiful bluish color, are these different kinds or something?
Old 09/22/2007, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

male and female different colors
Old 09/22/2007, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

okay so the females are the blue, and the males are green right?
Old 09/22/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

would there be any other fish this could get along with? I also read that they tendnot to bother hermit crabs, snails and shrimp? Any experience?
Old 09/22/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

in a 75g, a small pair with a wrasse or tang would be cool.
Old 09/22/2007, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking about a female Bluejaw, and a snowflake eel, and maybe a coral beauty angel for added color. Would this be overstocked or would this work?
Old 09/22/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

it is certainly not overstocked.

although, why not also get a male. i think it makes it so much better being its a pair, your opinion tho.

marinedepotlive has good prices on their blue throat triggers, you might wanna check them out.
Old 09/22/2007, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Id love to get a pair, but I don't see two 8" fish swimming around happily with a snowflake eel. I could be wrong though, is that really feasible in only a 75g?
Old 09/22/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

IMO the second pic, the green one, is not a bluejaw trigger. Looks like a female pinktail or dull crosshatch. Male/female bluejaws are the same body color, male's actually have the blue across the jaw (hence the name) and bright yellow fin tips. Check out marinedepotlive.com for the difference.

As far as a 75gal, if it is 4' long and at least 15" deep it should work. Triggers don't come more peaceful then bluethroats. IMO I would swap the SFE for a Zebra and the coral beauty for a flame. Bluethroats have been coming in a lot smaller recently, at least in my area, and they don't grow particularly fast either, so it should work. Just, as usual, make sure to have more then adequate filtration and water changes are kept up to date.
Old 09/22/2007, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

that is incorrect, both pictures are of female bluethroats, bluethroat triggers can change from a dull olive green color like the second pic, to a normal silver like the first pic...my male does it all of the time when his mood changes

i would be concerned about the filtration and the small size of the tank
Old 09/23/2007, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

size of tank for 2 triggers right? I could have one though?
I'll have live rock probably around 80-90lbs. Use RODI. I will have an AC110 powerfilter with purigen, and rotate out sponges every couple days. I also have a Tunze 9010 skimmer that will be used in tank. So get just one of the triggers, an eel, and one of the dwarf angels?
Old 09/30/2007, 10:18 PM
Premium Member

pinktail

blue jaw