Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/21/2007, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

isolating green star polyps

Can GSPs be isolated to one area of the tank without them spreading? I've been told that letting them spread on a rock that's by itself on the sandbend and not touching anything else will keep them on that rock. Is this true? Will they not spread across the sand?

I love my GSPs but I don't want them to spread all over everything.
Old 09/21/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

They need to be isolated like you said. I had a small frag maybe about 2" square that I placed on a rock that is about 6" diameter. They have completely covered the rock now. The rock is over in a corner by itself and I have not observed the colony spreading across the sand. It does seem to grow over the top of itself, though.
Old 09/21/2007, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

Try it and see.I saw a tank with gsp isolaed like you or describing on the bottom and it was a nice addition.
Old 09/21/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking of placing a weird branchy piece of marshall island rock on the sand bed and letting them colonize that. As long as they dont spread across the sand i think it would look really cool as a centerpiece by itself.
Old 09/21/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

They will spread across the sand. I let grow out about 3" from the rock and then cut it off and glue it to another rock and get some store credit for it.
Old 09/22/2007, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

My very small colony spread like a weeds. I could not stop it from spreading. It was like the old movie "The Blob" with Steve McQueen. I finally removed all of it from my tank.
Old 09/22/2007, 09:21 AM
reefer

Mine grow right over the sand, and just this last time travled to two rock and started making its way up them. If you keep an eye on it and rip anything growing on the sand off then you'll have nothing to worrie about.