Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/18/2007, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Beckett not Frothing: Help Needed

Friends.
First i would like to thank zephrant for his design on the Monster Beckett and i have taken his design to make a beckett as these equipments are not available here in india.

The beckett inlet is on 3.5" of 24" height and down into the box and up 18" into the reaction chamber that is of 6.5" dia with 24" height.

The water out is at abt 5" from the top of the reaction chamber. Can see a 40mm dia pipe in the center that i am using for the out.

Just ran the beckett and found the following:

1. Water in the inlet chamber is way at the bottom and the top 2/3 is empty.

2. There is min frothin the main chamber.

The pump i am using is 1500 gal/hr pump.

I have attached an image of the beckett in operation.

kindly advice what is wrong? or should i wait longer for it work, as is the first time it is on operation?

Regards
Pk

Old 09/18/2007, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

I used to run a homemade Beckett skimmer but not nearly that big...I think you either need a bigger pump (but 1500 gph should be fine) OR you need to restrict the flow out of the outflow valve...

On a different topic - I filled my supply tube with bio balls to increase bubble making and mixing. That may help with the level on that side as well. Let me know how it works out.
Old 09/18/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

IMHO, the tube downstream of the Beckett is too large hence the incoming air/water mix isn't enough to push the leading mix into the reaction chamber. Adding bioballs in the down tube, as bach2pilot suggested, may help.

If that doesn't work, you will have to either change the down tube diameter to 1"-1-1/4" or create a multiple Becket manifold to force the air/water mix down the existing tube, thus requiring a multiple or larger pump to feed the Beckets.

JM2C
Old 09/18/2007, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Are you using a presure rated pump?? You'll need some serious PSI to fill that down tube.
Old 09/18/2007, 10:28 PM
Premium Member

make sure the beckett is facing the right way as well. i've seen several install it backwards
Old 09/19/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

thanks a lot...

will try to install a 1" pipe in the inlet and take it down the pipe onto the 3.5". will that work? or should i need to completely change the inlet? Since then 3.5" inlet extends into the mixing chamber.

And if i add bio balls, want the come up and into the mixing chamber? and float in the chamber? is there anyway to prevent? will create aneaerobic bacteria in the bio balls?