Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/17/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member.

ich and tangs

hey guys I have had my four tangs for albout three years. I QT my powder blue for 4 weeks. I added him into my main tank. I have seen a spot or two of ick pop up. everyone is still eating. I feed a ton of vitamins,nori,formula two and mysis shrimp. should I worry or will this pass. all my fish are very healthy. thanks
Old 09/18/2007, 12:59 AM
hobbyist

One or two spots does not signify an outbreak. If the fish are otherwise healthy, their immune systems may be able to stave off a larger infestation. I'd continue to feed well, and observe.
Old 09/18/2007, 07:49 AM
Registered Member

When I got mine, I did a lot of reading here on RC and it seems to be typical that PBTs break out with ich on and off for a while when they are first added and are stressed. From what I determined, it isn't unusual for them to get it on and off for a while until they adjust to captive life.

The same thing happened to mine. I think as long as the fish is otherwise healthy and eating, then they eventually get over it. Keep the fish fat and use vitamins (I use Zoe and Selcon).
Old 09/18/2007, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

I thought you were supposed to QT for 6 weeks? I'm setting up a 120 and plan to start QT'ing. Have you otherwise had success with a 4 week QT? Sorry for all the questions, but what do you do in your QT? I was just planning to run hyposalinity for 4 weeks, and bring back up to normal for 2 more weeks. Overkill? Thanks. Good luck with your PBT.
Old 09/18/2007, 03:52 PM

If you QT and do nothing then the fish will still have the parasite. Ich will simply go through its life cycle in the QT like it's in the display. You should have treated the PBT with hyposalinity for at least 4 weeks while in the QT to break the life cycle of ich.
Old 09/18/2007, 03:56 PM
Moved On

I have a PBT in a 120 and he has been in there a week tomorrow.. he had been QT in copper and low salt for about 3 weeks! He is VERY active and eats when I feed the sea weed... he has eaten a FEW flakes with the garlic in it... he has just a FEW spots of ICH and NONE of them are bright and popped out.. they are just a little spot there and you can tell what it is.. he does rub off the rocks just a bit, but other wise is very healthy and full of life... just keep them fed good and that will help the immune system!