Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/17/2007, 09:56 PM
Premium Member

Question - LE Tyree Blue Chalice (E. llamelosa) - color

I purchased a frag of LE Tyree Blue Chalice (Echinopora llamelosa) a couple months ago. It was a nice crisp blue when it came in. I mounted it on a plug and put it in my frag rack which gets a lot of light. It turned brown but is growing nicely. I have recently moved it to the sand bed about 20 inches under a 14K Hamilton HQI in low to moderate flow. Is this the best place for it? I read that Echiopora does better growth and color wise in these conditions. Is that correct?
This is the tale that was told to me by the man with the crystal eye, As I smoked my pipe in the camp-fire light, and the Glories swept the sky; As the Northlights gleamed and curved and streamed, and the bottle of "hooch" was dry. -Robert Service
Old 09/18/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

Mine is mid way up under 250 halide, keeps good color and grows nicely
Old 09/18/2007, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

IME the red/pink echinos like more light. But all the other colors like less light.

I think you should keep it low for a while and see how it does.
Old 09/18/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

I agree with lowering it. Mine did best under PC lights and kept a vibrant blue. You may have a dark corner of the tank you could try for a while.
Old 09/19/2007, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

costalaqua, All Delight, and ghostman, Thank you for the advice!

All Delight, I liiiiike your avatar!

-Russell
This is the tale that was told to me by the man with the crystal eye, As I smoked my pipe in the camp-fire light, and the Glories swept the sky; As the Northlights gleamed and curved and streamed, and the bottle of "hooch" was dry. -Robert Service