Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/14/2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

This was stupid

So I got the bright Idea to really clean my glass good so I went to the garage and got some medium course sand paper and started to clean the glass. I wet the paper first before I start and to my amazement it was doing a bang up job of getting that hard green algae off the glass. I did all three side fronts and to side. After I finished I did my regular tank cleaning routine and after I put everything back and clean the outside of the tank I stood back and admired such a clean tank. To my horror I scatched the heck out the glass. What was I thinking? Now does anybody no how to buff of scatches?What a moroon.
Old 09/14/2007, 05:20 PM
Team RC Member

That's not going to be easy. Algae will grow in all the scratches. With glass you can always use a razor to clean with; but how you buff it short of completely emptying the tank and using power tools I have no idea. It might be easier to get a new tank and glue partitions in this one for a really nice sump.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 09/14/2007, 05:21 PM
Moved On

at leest u have more post ten i do
Old 09/14/2007, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

You need to use a finer sandpaper and do it in stages getting smaller as you go. Now you have an excuse for a bigger tank, and make this a 90 gal refugium!!
Old 09/14/2007, 06:07 PM
Keeper of Tangs

post this in the DIY section that might help a little more.
Old 09/14/2007, 06:15 PM
Moved On

wow.
Old 09/14/2007, 06:27 PM
saltwater in my veins

doh!
Old 09/14/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

[flamealert]
Old 09/14/2007, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

[edit]

Now that funny....lmao
Old 09/14/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

I'd just get a new tank. On glass that is going to be a tough one.

Sorry.

We all learn somethings the hard way.
HIS OPINIONS COURAGEOUSLY AND HONESTLY
Old 09/14/2007, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

Oh no! Like pledosophy said, we ALL do something dumb from time to time and learn a lesson the hard way. What a brutal lesson, I hope someone can advise you on a way to buff the scratches out - I know it can be done with acrylic, but I'm not sure about glass. Hopefully you won't need to buy a new tank, but if you do at least it's only the tank and not all the livestock and equipment - IME the glass box is one of the cheaper things in our hobby, compared to everything in, on and around it.
I'm crossing my fingers and toes for you, good luck
Old 09/14/2007, 08:11 PM
Team RC Member

Sorry if my post was perceived as unsympathetic. I sincerely apologize if this was the case: I honestly think outside of power buffing and an amazingly time-consuming consumption of fine-grade grit, you're just not going to get the scratches out. The process may be so expensive as to be unfeasible.

However, I could be mistaken and sincerely hope that I am wrong.

If anybody has a way to buff a glass scratch, I would be glad to know for my own use as well: I have a big one dead center.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 09/14/2007, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by samtheman

Here at Reef Central, we believe that dialogs between participants should be conducted in a friendly and helpful manner. If you disagree with a posting, please express yourself in a way that is conducive to further constructive dialog. Conversely, when you post on any given subject, you must be willing to accept constructive criticism without posting a hostile or inflammatory response. Personal attacks of any kind will not be tolerated. Please let’s work to insure that Reef Central remains a friendly and flame free site where everyone, especially newcomers, can feel free to post questions without fear of being unfairly criticized. Thank you for your cooperation.
Is this samtheman's post or was it overwritten with censorship? I missed it.
Old 09/14/2007, 08:18 PM
Team RC Member

pmolan, please respect the RC mods when they advise us to lower the heat. You are not disrespected. This will protect you as well as the poster, in not letting a situation go to a point which we might regret.

Old 09/14/2007, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
pmolan, please respect the RC mods when they advise us to lower the heat. You are not disrespected. This will protect you as well as the poster, in not letting a situation go to a point which we might regret.
Im not looking to escalate anything. samtheman is not a mod so it would make no sence for him to post that. I was just wondering if his statement was edited, because of the following "LMAO"
Old 09/14/2007, 08:24 PM
Moved In

It was a clue. There's really no need to be rude for some people. I know I've done some pretty horrific things in this hobby, that I wanted to smack myself. I moved on and got over it.

Sk8r you're post was perfecty fine.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 09/20/2007, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

A new tank is the only real fix. Trying to buff out scratched glass is not going to be easy or worth the effort. Look at it this way, you just got yourself a new large growout tank or sump!

Sams statement was edited because it was rude... something that sam likes to be
Old 09/20/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

wow, that is too bad. i have to go with get a new tank, since i am unaware of a way to buff out scratches from glass. lesson learned, and move on. dont kick yourself too bad, nobody doesn't make mistakes!
Old 09/20/2007, 07:37 PM

How deep and how bad are the scratches? I scratched the front of my cube (it's one long gash) and I was able to fill it up with a windshield crack epoxy. It's the clear one made by Duro I think.. Mine was on the outside so it was easy and I didn't have to drain the tank. I then followed it up with a micro fine (1000 grit?) sandpaper.. wetsand actually. You can still see the crack IF you look very close, but it's nowhere near as bad as before.

I say do this before any algae can grow in it, otherwise it would be terribly difficult to prep.

On the other hand, if it is terribly scratched, it might not be worth fixing. Glass tanks are not very expensive anyways so just replace it.

Sorry to hear about what happened.
Old 09/20/2007, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

My sympathies to you, we all do dumb things with out thinking. I grabbed my fox face with my bare hand 2 days ago, i knew he was venomous but i just did it with out a thought. I got stung lol. Hope someone knows how to help you, be a shame to buy a new tank.
Old 09/20/2007, 08:09 PM
Slightly Obsessed

yeah...that's not going to be easy...or even possible. sorry buddy.
Old 09/20/2007, 10:09 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by coastalaqu
My sympathies to you, we all do dumb things with out thinking. I grabbed my fox face with my bare hand 2 days ago, i knew he was venomous but i just did it with out a thought. I got stung lol. Hope someone knows how to help you, be a shame to buy a new tank.
Thankfully you're ok, my friend went to the emergency room with a severe reaction to pulling out a dead one and getting poked.

Old 09/20/2007, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

I was moving some stuff around today and kinda wondered how much it would hurt if my foxface stung me.
Old 09/20/2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Scratches can be polished out of glass, but its a time-consuming, laborious task, best done with power tools.

You start with course grits/pumice on a cloth or felt bob and gradually work down to finer and finer powders, ending with cerium powder to get an optical quality finish (which you would want). You'd have to empty the tank. And the cost of grinding and polishing materials would add up pretty quickly.

A new tank sounds like a good option...

Delaware Valley Reef Club (DVRC)
Old 09/20/2007, 10:29 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
I was moving some stuff around today and kinda wondered how much it would hurt if my foxface stung me.
Hopefully I'll never find out. Mine goes to the other side of my tank. Right now I'm more afraid of my GSM. She attacks me everytime I put my hand in.