Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/14/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Iwasaki 175w users please comment

I am experiencing significant dulling of my corals under this bulb. Vibrant Zoas have lost the color close to the eye. R. sanctithomae has lost its irridescence. The pink hue from my R. inchoata is slowly but steadily drifting towards brown.

These are in a 15g high, with the bulb 12" above the water surface and a photo-period of only 8 hours. I have no supplementation.

Please post your experiences?

TIA!
Old 09/14/2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

I have gotten excellent results with mine, both zoas and sps corals have colored up beautifully. I have a pink lemonade at the bottom that is still yellow. My photo period is only 6 hours. This birdsnest is about 19" from the light:

Old 09/14/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

uhuru: That acro is beautiful!

I have nowhere near the blue I see in your background. With a 6 hour photoperiod, do you supplement? How high is your bulb from the water surface?

The only stunning color I have is on the growing edge of a Monti cap.
Old 09/14/2007, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

token - thanks, but I should add that I do supplement with pc actinics (2 x 28w). I really don't think it's enough to make a difference of corals browning out or keepin their color, but yes it adds a nice blue hue. Without it the light is just pure white.

oh forgot to add that I think your light is pretty far from the surface, after all this is only a 175w bulb. I have mine about 7" from the surface.
Old 09/14/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info!

I had the fixture closer but my one of my red goniopora's took poorly to that, even though it came from what I thought to be a brighter placement in another tank. An acro, that is very close to the surface, also responded poorly when I lowered the light, refusing to show any polyps during the day.

I wish I could think of a good way to supplement; I think that is the key factor causing what I am seeing.
Old 09/14/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

Token, the iwasaki 15k is so much brighter than any other bulb out there beside the 10k that your tank and corals will need time to adjust, if you are not carefull your corals will bleach under this light. Once the corals are acclimated they will lighten up and corlor up nicely for you, but with that said, its still better to have some actinics to supplement this light to get that pop