Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/12/2007, 06:01 PM
King of the Tank!

Question I wonder……

OK You know you have one. A question or something you wonder about relating to this wonderful reefing hobby and you just can’t seem to find an answer for it and really not worth the effort to do a good search on or start a thread about. But still you wonder……

I’ll start it off with this – why ‘o why does the coralline algae always start to grow in the corners of my glass? I keep it just as clean as the rest of the glass!! Why can’t it start in the center?

That’s what I’ve been wondering about!!

Jay
Old 09/12/2007, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Maybe it is just trying to be polite and stay out of your viewing area as long as possible??

(and my real guess is something to do with flow in a 90* corner)

---------------------------------------------------

"I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer."
Brendan Behan
Old 09/12/2007, 07:21 PM
King of the Tank!

Well, it is in all corners as I look. It is just an average rectangular tank. I have a MJ mod and a CL and I think I have about 3600 – 3800 gph turn over so good flow but maybe you are correct due to the corners. I’ll increase the flow to a corner and see if that works. Really just kind of made me go “huh” when I just cleaned of the stuff a few days ago!!

Mykel Obvious - I wish I had thought of a user’s name like that!!

Hey, I love this one: “Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves” - Brendan Behan

Jay
Old 09/13/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

cuold be that the corners trap more flow and /or more stagnent and allow it to grow there first.
Old 09/13/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Could also be that the calcium and/or magnesium are heavier than the water and get trapped there by the flow.

Here's a question that I found the answer to Sunday night. DO gobies poop in their caves? No. My YWG never leaves the safety of his cave unless he's real hungry during feeding time. Sunday after dinner... he came all the way out to the middle of the tank and "dropped the kids off at the pool" and then backed up back to his cave.
Old 09/13/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kannin
Here's a question that I found the answer to Sunday night. DO gobies poop in their caves? No. My YWG never leaves the safety of his cave unless he's real hungry during feeding time. Sunday after dinner... he came all the way out to the middle of the tank and "dropped the kids off at the pool" and then backed up back to his cave.
Sorry to get off subject here but I had to comment on this one question. I had a puffer that would only poop on my yellow gorgonian. Its like he hated it.
Old 09/13/2007, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

It's not off subject as long as you phrase it in the form of a question.
Old 09/13/2007, 09:57 PM
Nothing to put here

It's because you clean the rest of your glass real well with the algae magnet, it wipes the spores off before you can see noticable coralline growth. Thats why it grows on the back glass and not the front too.
Old 09/13/2007, 11:10 PM
King of the Tank!

LobsterOfJustice – Thanks! That makes since. I was scrapping that stuff today and snapped off a bunch of coral! Makes good frags though!

Quote:
Sunday after dinner... he came all the way out to the middle of the tank and "dropped the kids off at the pool" and then backed up back to his cave.
Kannin – That was funny!!

Jay
Old 09/14/2007, 06:31 AM
Registered Member

It's a sad, sad day when reefers are discussing the bowel patterns of their fish.......

HeHe