Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/11/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Salifert

Say on salifert test kits the plastic tip for the syringe is it suppose to be on every test just started using them. thx
Old 09/11/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Yes, it controls the rate of flow from the syringe

You paid how much for moldy rock!!!!
Old 09/11/2007, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

god all my test are wrong then like w/out plastic tip cal is 420 with plastic cal is 340
Old 09/11/2007, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

They are the best but deff the worse to use... one tiny drip and the colour will change, without the tip you are adding like 5 drips at a time that is why you are getting a difference

You paid how much for moldy rock!!!!
Old 09/11/2007, 07:47 PM
Team RC Member

The only kit you don't use the tip on is the ammonia kit that I know of.
Old 09/11/2007, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

Salifert Kit quality?

Sheesh...

I started out with a Marineland Test kit, and have been aquiring Salifert kits for the frequent (and vital) tests like ALK, CA, PO and MG. Now I read on another RC forum that Salifert kits are "crap". That makes me feel like a chump, because I thought I was aquiring top quality tests for my reef.

Which is correct? Is Salifert a safe reliable test system, or have I been snookered?

Thanks.

LL
Old 09/11/2007, 08:12 PM
RC Mod

I've been using Salifert test kits for years without troubles. There might be a problem with some of the latest alkalinity test kits.

All the brands seem to get some bad reviews from time to time.
Old 09/11/2007, 08:39 PM
Team RC Member

Don't feel like a chump. [chimp]

I've been using Saliferts for years. No problems on this end.

I agree with Jonathan. They all get a bad rap every now and then. I think your in good shape.
Old 09/12/2007, 11:39 AM
Premium Member

Maybe, just maybe?

Maybe the complainers are suffering from "operator error"...

Thanks for the reassurances.

LL
Old 09/12/2007, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

I put this on another thread--but I'll repeat it.
I think it is operator error due to reusing the 1ml syringe everytime and redipping it in the testing solution--some contanmination or precipitation over time?

Can you buy throw away 1 ml. syringes anywhere
Old 09/12/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

I disagree with that one Capt, I have 3 Salifert Alk kits all testing the same water at different Alk levels, two kits were brand new. I was also one of the people that Habib sent the reference solution to and all three kits are reading between 1.5-3.1 dkh high. I still have Salifert kits for Mg, Ca, Sr but I use API for my alk tests now until this all get sorted out, my API reads 8 DKH when Salifert reads 10.3, 11, and 11.3. My LFS salifert kit is right on with my API kit. I think this is bigger than user error.
Old 09/12/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Re: Salifert Kit quality?

Me Too. I have now switched totally to AP. I dont need the headaches and uncertainty for that $$$$$$

QUOTE]Originally posted by Lightsluvr
Sheesh...

I started out with a Marineland Test kit, and have been aquiring Salifert kits for the frequent (and vital) tests like ALK, CA, PO and MG. Now I read on another RC forum that Salifert kits are "crap". That makes me feel like a chump, because I thought I was aquiring top quality tests for my reef.

Which is correct? Is Salifert a safe reliable test system, or have I been snookered?

Thanks.

LL
[/QUOTE]
Old 09/13/2007, 08:25 AM
Premium Member

I decided to be very thorough with using the salifert kit last night.
I discovered that the syringe is taking in air in the middle of the syringe when I use it. With the syringe very narrow the bubble appeared as a hairline until I actually held it up to the light I would have never noticed it.
Now the bottle is 8/10 used meaning the plastic tip on the end is now longer fully submerged--other the that it has me puzzled where the air is coming from.
Old 09/13/2007, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

It is ok to have air in the syringe. The air is already in the plastic tip, and you just draw it in behind the solution.

Don't worry about the air. You have 1mL of solution in the syringe, even with the air in it.
12.21@118mph
46 gallon bowfront (not installed in the car)
Old 09/13/2007, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ShapeGSX
It is ok to have air in the syringe. The air is already in the plastic tip, and you just draw it in behind the solution.

Don't worry about the air. You have 1mL of solution in the syringe, even with the air in it.
this band of air stays trapped in the middle of the solution and moves with it as it is dripped

the air is in the middle of the solution----and takes up about ~.1 of it--it is accounted for ml.--if it is left in when the titration is complete it throws off the ml that is left.
Old 09/13/2007, 03:24 PM
RC Mod

As long as the band of air isn't expelled during the titration, it shouldn't affect the result. Perhaps the plastic tip is a bit clogged or otherwise isn't fitting tightly on the syringe. I assume the tip and the syringe are completely emptied before being used?
Old 09/13/2007, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bertoni
As long as the band of air isn't expelled during the titration, it shouldn't affect the result. Perhaps the plastic tip is a bit clogged or otherwise isn't fitting tightly on the syringe. I assume the tip and the syringe are completely emptied before being used?
that's just it---it does come out instead of fluid--then the remaining fluid---so isn't that affecting the amount in there?

I just bought another test kit on the way home today so I will use both tonight and compare.
Old 09/13/2007, 05:03 PM
RC Mod

Yep, if the air is coming out during the titration, that'll change the result.
Old 09/14/2007, 12:11 AM
Team RC Member

Capt, if you have air trapped in the middle of the syringe, you need to tap it lightly with your finger to get the air bubble up to the top.

My air gap always ends up on the top of the syringe.

Or you are drawing too fast. Try slowing down a little.
Old 09/14/2007, 07:54 AM
Premium Member

Now I am completely confused on what to use. I am a newbie, so please be understanding. What is the AP you are talking about?
is that a reagent?
Our LFS talked us into using the 5 in 1 Mardel test strips. it test for ph, hardness, alkalinity, nitrite and nitrate.
It does not offer a calcium test.
I was using the Red Sea reagent. being new I thought it was good.
Old 09/14/2007, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
that's just it---it does come out instead of fluid--then the remaining fluid---so isn't that affecting the amount in there?

I just bought another test kit on the way home today so I will use both tonight and compare.
post script:

the old kit three alk tests: off scale, 12.2, 12.0
new test kit: 10.6, 10.2,10.6

those kits must have a usage or shelf life?
Old 09/14/2007, 12:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Billybeau1
Capt, if you have air trapped in the middle of the syringe, you need to tap it lightly with your finger to get the air bubble up to the top.

My air gap always ends up on the top of the syringe.

Or you are drawing too fast. Try slowing down a little.
billybeau1--got you covered tried that---I think it is a defective syringe or the shelf life has expired on the dosing bottle
Old 09/14/2007, 01:58 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by edandsandy
Now I am completely confused on what to use. I am a newbie, so please be understanding. What is the AP you are talking about?
is that a reagent?
Our LFS talked us into using the 5 in 1 Mardel test strips. it test for ph, hardness, alkalinity, nitrite and nitrate.
It does not offer a calcium test.
I was using the Red Sea reagent. being new I thought it was good.
AP stands for API (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals). Their test kits are accurate, easy to use and inexpensive. Tell your LFS to pick you up some and get off the test strips. They have Calcium, Alkalinity, pH, Phosphate, Nitrite and Nitrate and Ammonia.
Old 09/14/2007, 02:00 PM
Team RC Member

Capt, the only way I can see you getting an air bubble in the middle of the syringe is if you pulled the tip out of the solution during extraction. Or the tip isn't on tight enough.

You must keep the tip submerged during the entire drawing process.
Old 09/14/2007, 03:45 PM
RC Mod

Or the tip might be cracked.