Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2000, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

I posted a question earlier in regards to what fish I should get rid of. Well, I have definitely decided that the shrimp goes! He has been trying to attack my fish! He lunges towards my fish and attempts to grab them with his large claws! Tonight he took a swipe at my maroon clown and sliced his lower fin.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks
Old 12/30/2000, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

My Coral Banded likes to eat the feathers from my feather duster (or at least just pull them off). He also attempted to eat one my bubble tip anenome's arms this morning.
Old 12/30/2000, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

Moses
Do you think my CBS will eat my anenome?
How on earth am I going to catch him? Do you have any ideas? I have a lot of liverock!
Thanks for replying.
Old 12/30/2000, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

iknow what ya mean...my bro'scbs grabbed his yellowtang right in front of us...couldent beleave it......if ur trying to capture him to bring him back for money or trade...DO NOT use anet....my bro tried this as a last resort and bolth his claws came off in the net......so now he has to wait before he can bring his back.....
Old 12/30/2000, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

If I don't catch him with a net...what should I use?
Old 12/30/2000, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Hey SKA

I don't know much about the CBS, but I think these guys are opportunists extrodonaire. Anything that even remotely looks edible will be attacked.

And they are very timid creatures, which makes catching them difficult. They have fish trap which may work, but it costs 50 bucks at my LFS, and you may end up camping all night in front of your tank to catch the bugger.

I have also got a bicolor angel problem, so I will probably just remove the live rock until I can get at them both.

Old 12/30/2000, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

My friend said to use chop sticks...hahahha
I hate to disturb my live rock---there's so much of it!
Unfortunately, there is so much live rock that I would not be able to use a fish trap. In addition, I hate to disturb my poor little anenome!

I guess I have no choice but to move some rock!

Thanks so much...I really appreciate all the help....

Old 12/30/2000, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

try a trap

There are several traps out on the market for traping shrimp and crabs... buy one, put a small piece of squid in there and you'll get him.... And yes from what i could tell they are opportunists..
Old 01/08/2001, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

I have heard of some of these traits with the CBS but knock
on wood mine is very pieceful, no problems
Old 01/08/2001, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Ohh man brings back bad memories...
I had a mated pair of CBS and they loved to nip on my fish, so I decided to catch them and trade them at my LFS. NOT EASY. I tried and tried until one night my brother and I vowed not to sleep until we caught these buggers. Well, at 3:00am we finally got them by cornering and netting them...the first one took the most time then we got the second in 10 minutes. I was slightly tired the next day...hehe. Good luck!!

-Russell
Old 01/08/2001, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Wink

I have a mated pair of coral banded shrimp and have noticed them from time to time swiping at my fish. HOWEVER, they have not succeeded in doing any harm, and IMO they are more a couple of bullies than anything else. Mine are staying put, I think they're pretty cool, but thats my experience/opinion.

Old 01/09/2001, 03:33 AM
Obsessed Reefer

Talking

Yeah, I've seen mine (Cory) try to catch my fish, but they are alot faster than he is. But I am a little concerned...
Old 01/09/2001, 09:52 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I had a CBS and thought he was great. Every now and then he would jump at the fish but the fish would just swim off.
I used to feed mine by hand and he got to where he would get on my hand every time I put my hand in the tank. Made cleaning the tank more interesting by having a shrimp running up and down my arm.
So try feeding them by hand and it may make it easier for you to catch yours.
TnReefer
Old 01/09/2001, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

Cool

SKA

If you go in first thing before you put your lights on he should be out. They are a disoriented when the lights first go on. Pick him up with your hand ,other then look menacing he is not going do any damage to your skin.
The other thing, did he go after a fish that was sick? IME a cbs like any crab will try to eat or kill something that is either dying or dead. They are not the strongest guys in the world.FWIW

Andy