Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/10/2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

Glass Cages

In my threads so far, I am getting hints at this product not being up to snuff ..... Is there an existing thread or can someone shed some light on this product? I have thought about going with an acyrlic tank .... but I have a 6 month old Chocolate lab that loves my 55 gallon fresh water!!!!

Everything in excess .... moderation is for monks!!!
Old 09/10/2007, 06:21 PM
Premium Member

check vendor feedback then choose another company. same thing happened to me I tried buying a tank from them and then bought from someone else
Old 09/10/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

I checked the vendor feedback and found only a few entries ... nothing on Glass cages. I did find some negative entries for all-glass/oceanic. Perfecto is mentioned a lot as a plus but they don't offer a tank with the dimensions I am looking for. Where are most large reef tank builders getting their tanks?

Old 09/10/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

glass cages is not very good with customer service.

There is somebody on here that ordered ffom them and all they got was grief.

I'll try to find the thread
Old 09/10/2007, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

glass cages

Pm me if you want the low down of my experience with this company....ps I have a custom made frameless tank of theirs up and running.
Old 09/10/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

I heard they're not too good
Old 09/10/2007, 08:37 PM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

[moved]

I know several people with tanks by Glass Cages and they all like them...solidly built and affordable.

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."
Old 09/10/2007, 08:38 PM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

BTW, it took four of us to carry an 8x24x25 GC tank...that thing outweighed the Oceanic tanks of old...built like a German tank. Griss owns that tank now.

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."
Old 09/10/2007, 11:17 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Tons of threads about them. Customer complaints about not hand holding is the usual. Majority of people are very happy with their tanks (including myself). Check out their ebay feedback for another view.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 09/10/2007, 11:19 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
just stay away...

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 09/11/2007, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

the bad feedback you see is service not tanks.. you only see the bad.. i know many people who have there tanks and love them and had good customer service too...
Old 09/12/2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

Yes if you dont want anything out of the ordinary or too custom... expect what you pay for. GCs uses scrap for overflows and bracing so dont expect non viewable glass to look good. Sloppy glue and airbubbles but an overall strong tank. These people have the worst customer service if you have a problem... the best if everything goes smoothly.

If you are a perfectionist like most people in the hobby... goes elsewhere or take a chance...

If you are looking for a great deal on a tank and are willing to put up with an ordinary build and scrap glass bracing... then go for it.

I have seen their tanks and read the reviews.... they are most definitly a hit or miss company. If you hit... you get an awesome cheap priced tank. If you miss.... you are soooo screwed. I mean these people get nasty when something goes wrong.

Having said all of that... I am still contemplating ordering my 240rr from them. If I decide to go with them... I will cross my fingers and be as polite as possible and try not to confuse the owners wife Beth as she doesnt take crap nor does she want to talk about custom. I am willing to hit or miss on $1000 because I have no other reasonable option because of the euro braceing option. No other company can match their price with a small center euro braced tank. And that is what you gamble on and where they hold their stance.

good luck
Old 09/12/2007, 03:18 PM
Beer King

I have a 180 starfire from them & have been very pleased. I live in Nash so I was able to pick my tank up at there shop. PM me with any questions you may have aboutt hem.
Old 09/13/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

i absolutely love my 130x24x25 from them my only complaint is that when i ordered it i specificaly requested 3 center braces and when the tank arrived it had 4, and there was someone on my thread bashing my stand setup that others on here thought it might be GC, i hope not.
Old 09/13/2007, 12:50 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

Glasscages deal in volume. They ship truck loads of tanks to pet stores on a weekly basis.

Because of this, and individual ordering one tank does not get the attention he or she may feel they deserve from them.

They do not need 1 persons buisness, and because of this they do not seem to care.

Having said that, I have ordered and installed about 30 of their tanks. They were all built very well. I only saw a few little globs of silicone that needed to be scraped off.

You will NOT find a tank for a lower price. They are much cheaper than anyone else.

You will find better customer service from other places. Personally I'll take the $1000 price savings and deal with a guy that doesn't like to spend all day on the phone with you.
Old 09/13/2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

Jeremy ... that being said, if I order a tank with customized overflows and returns, will they try to make an existing tank fit my order .... or will the tank start from scratch?

Old 09/13/2007, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

I have a thread on here about a 360 that I had custom made from them that cracked. It was up for 13 months and I honestly dont know WHY it cracked. Sometimes **it just happens. I cant think of anything they or I did wrong.

They specialize in tank building in mass not tank design, this is where people feel they lack customer service skills, if you know what you want, its no problem getting it built.

That being said all in all I was pleased with glass cages AND may use them in the future.
Old 09/13/2007, 11:00 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

You need to know exactly what you want at the time of order. He will not help you design your custom tank. He will built it with thorough, complete, and unquestionable drawings.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 09/14/2007, 12:16 PM
Moved On

Yes if you state just exactly what you want they do a good job as far as I have noticed I have a couple tanks from them (glass) and mine were done neatly no sloppy silicone And I have 2 acrylic sumps the seams in those do have bubbles ,I do not know if they did it slightly sloppier because they were out of view sumps or if that is the way they do all of there acrylic
Old 09/20/2007, 08:49 AM
Premium Member

Well said Jemery B, let the rest of the perfectionist spend $1500-$3000 in Cali and Canada, NJ vs shaving off a little silicone here and there.

Why do I need to see the glass in an overflow?
Old 09/20/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I am still figuring out the details of exactly what I want, but I am pretty sure I will be ordering my tank, 90 gal sump, and 20 gal refugium from them.

Old 09/20/2007, 05:45 PM
Premium Member

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b9...Tank115Gal.jpg

SDGuys Tank from Glasscgaes

115 gal 48 X 18 X 31 Starphire on 3 sides

Looks good to me.
Old 09/20/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

nice tank!!! I guess it really comes down to what a person can do with the tank !!!

Old 09/21/2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Glass Cages, I have to say I agree with many on this thread with bad dealings with them. What a diffucut company, THEY ARE BAD ON CUSTOMER SERVICE. This comes from my own personal experience with them this week. Tom and Beth are some really unprofessional people, which makes their company a step down from any other company I have ever dealt with. Sure their pricing on tanks are less than most tank builders, I WONDER WHY could it be customer service and warranty? I fiqure that if you can't get past their smart mouth when trying to order then what will your experience be with this type of customer service in the future if you have a problem with one of their tanks. I was never able to get past the ridiculousness of their smart hateful mouths to even order a tank in the first place. These two people get upset if you ask any question other than what is standard for their standard tanks. They easily get offended and tell you to buy from someone else. When you simply respond back with "I am asking general questions" they seem to not have any tolerance or patience. Then they are wishy washy on their pricing from one day to the next and are not capable to do business in an honest manner in this aspect as well.

I would not recommend anyone considering buying from them unless the tank you are attempting to buy is standard. And even at that good luck with their customer service with either of these owners if the tank you purchase has any problems. I have to say I spoke with others there in customer and they were very professional and pleasant to deal with.

I am a business owner myself and I have never treated an exsisting customer or a potential first time customer in the way I have been treated by these two.

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone"
Ronald Reagan

LIFE'S BEEN GOOD

Last edited by D.G.; 09/21/2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09/21/2007, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

I am really sorry to hear that. I am still looking at other vendors but am having a hard time finding a tank in the size I want without going to acrylic.