Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/06/2007, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

best heater?

I am trying to decide which heater to by. I have a small Visitherm Deluxe right now that seems to work great. I need a new heater for another tank.
This heater will eventually be in a 65-75 g tank.

so Visatherm deluxe?
or
Titanium Heater?

or any other good options?
Old 09/06/2007, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

Metal Halides are the best heaters I have found. With the MH's on during the day and small fan blowing in the canopy, temp reaches almost 80 and drops at night to 77.5-78. I have yet to plug my heater in but I'm sure I will during the winter.
Old 09/06/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

well, I don't have my MH up and running on this tank. This is just a FW tank that my heater went bad.
Old 09/06/2007, 01:50 PM
Premium Member

whatever heater you choose don't just "set it and forget it" I've yet to find an adjustable heater that actually keeps the water the same reading as the setting, if you don't already have a thermometer get one, and keep a close eye on it
Old 09/06/2007, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

'best' and 'heater' do not go together. There are no 'best heaters' on the market. All of the heaters currently on the market are not that great.
Old 09/06/2007, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

OK, then pretty much any of the above choices would be OK.
I monitor my temperature closely, everyday I check it. I have a digital thermometer. That is how I knew I had a problem. I had a 150 watt AGA heater that came with my tank, and a 50 watt that I had in there for good measure. My tank is normally 78-80 and yesterday it dropped to 74-75, I had an extra 75 watt heater that I put in yesterday at lunch, so today the temp is up a little. at 76 but the 150 watt is dead. Anyways long story short I was just looking for a reliable heater. and this is a FW 55 tank by the way.