Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/04/2007, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

GFO and carbon in the same reactor

is it ok to mix GFO and carbon in a reactor?
Old 09/04/2007, 07:24 PM
RC Mod

Many people do that, including me. Just make sure that the GFO isn't being ground up by the water flow.
Old 09/04/2007, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

should the gfo not be moving at all? how full can I fill the reactor?
Old 09/04/2007, 08:07 PM
RC Mod

I wouldn't want the GFO moving. The reactor can be filled completely, in my opinion.
Old 09/05/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bertoni
I wouldn't want the GFO moving.
Why?
Old 09/05/2007, 01:35 PM
RC Mod

GFO media tend to crumble when ground together, and the particles might be spread into the tank.
Old 09/06/2007, 11:42 AM
Premium Member

How about the RowaPhos? Supposedly in their directions, the substance will not hurt any animals. They even tell you to not worry about rinsing it before putting it in the reactor. Is this stuff different than regular GFO?
tom
Old 09/06/2007, 01:51 PM
RC Mod

All the GFOs are about the same in this regard.
Old 09/06/2007, 07:31 PM
Grand High Puba

I was under the impression that it was ok to have the GFO tumbling more than if it was run by itself because the carbon will help to prevent it from breaking down? Is this true?
Old 09/06/2007, 07:37 PM
RC Mod

I don't see how the presence of carbon would prevent grinding, but it might reduce it somewhat.
Old 09/07/2007, 01:39 AM
Premium Member

GFO is more fragile than granular activated carbon (GAC). However, there are several methods to keep GFO from turning into dust. Below are a few methods. Do place sponge pads at the top and at the bottom of the reactor.

(1) Mix lots of GAC with a little bit of GFO. You only need 1 to 2 tablespoons of GFO for every 20 gallons of water.

(2) Sandwich a layer of GFO between two layers of GAC. The top layer of GAC will keep the GFO from tumbling. The GAC on the bottom will absorb dissolved organic compounds (DOC) and keep the GFO from being fouled. You may optionally separate the layers with sponge pads.

I use these 2 methods together:

(3) Place the GAC on the bottom and GFO on top separated by a sponge pad. Leave a void above the GFO so you can watch the surface. Tune the flow so the GFO's surface "gently boils" but granules do not fly more than a half-inch high. The gentler flow keeps the GFO from turning into dust. The GAC is optional but will keep the GFO from being fouled by DOC's (so I am told).

(4) Buy a denser, more durable GFO. Warner Marine's PHOSaR HC granules are heavier for the volume occupied than most GFO's.