Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/28/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

Twin Spot Signal Goby Not Eating???

I am having a hard time getting my goby to eat... I have tried everything including live foods for him and he will still not eat... I have been told to try live blackworms... Can somebody tell me what these are and where I might find them...
Old 08/28/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

Are you using garlic?
Old 08/28/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Yes I have... Can you tell me what blackworms are???
Old 08/28/2007, 09:42 PM
Team RC Member

Can't help you on that except to say he may be getting some nutrition from your sand. My gobies all relish Formula One Sinking Pellet, because it gets down where they are and blows about. Hopefully somebody knows about blackworms. Also, a diced up piece of uncooked shrimp from the supermarket will often tempt various fish.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 08/28/2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

The poor little guy's belly is really sunken in and I feel he is going to die anytime...
Old 08/28/2007, 10:00 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

These fish have terrible rates of success in captivity. A few people here have them but not without lots of work to get them eating, and lots of attention/spot feeding to keep them fat. Try any meaty foods, VERY FINELY chopped/minced. Even bury some under a thin layer of sand where they hang out.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 08/28/2007, 11:43 PM
Unregistered Member

^In addition to them being very hard to get to eat, the often suffer from stomach worms.

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 08/29/2007, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

Mine were sand sifters -- and great at their ability to destroy the tank with burrowing. Never again.....
Old 08/29/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Thank you all for the ideas... I will try to bury some food in the sand where he hangs out... Thank you agian...
Old 08/29/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

I've had a pair now for i think a few months. I honestly can't remember when i got them. They didn't eat anything i gave them for the first week or so. I began impregnating the sand with cyclopeeze and mysis shrimp at the entrance to thier burrow. After a few days they finally caught on to what was going on. Now every 3 days i drop a small cluster of shrimp and cyclopeeze and they snatch it right up. I finally caught one of them actually swim 5 inches off the substrate to catch a shrimp floating by when i fed the rest of the tank. Hopefully this behavior continues and they begin to catch more of thier own food if they aren't finind enough in the sand. I use a salifert test tube hooked onto some rigid airline tubing for the target feeding in the sand. Good Luck!