Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/26/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

5.5g nano pics!

My tank has been set up for about 3 weeks. It is a 5.5 AGA with 5 lbs LS, 3 pieces of cured LR (from established tanks) and 40 watts PC. I have a cheapo walmart filter running on it which is surprisingly creating a fair amount of flow. It sat with LR in it for about a week, I had no cycle, added crabs still no cycle. Water quality is good, I had a but of cyano for one day, completely gone the nest. About a week ago I added some zoanthids from my tank, a piece of trumpet that fel behind some rock in my other tank so was slowly dying and 2 little baby mushrooms. All are doing good, the zoas are still adjusting to having more light. yesterday I got some frags from the reef club. I got a some neon red/pink shrooms, orange zoas, neon pink zoas, and a little torch and a nice big frogspawn (but hes in my other tank). Then today I picked up one more piece of LR that has some yellow zoas and red and green shrroms on it. The only thing not doing so good are some orange and green zoas that I picked up at the LFS, but they are freshly fragged. I'll keep track of water quality sinc eI know this is a lot to add at once. I can always take some stuff back home to my bigger tank.

Orange zoas

Torch and in the back you can see the 2 polyps of neon pink centered zoas

New rock from today, you can see the yellow polyps, those in the corner are the unhappy ones, they are slwoly starting to open though.

My absolute favorite. These are just gorgeous! They literally glow!

Full tank
Old 08/26/2007, 11:16 PM
Enjoying Life

Personally if I was in your position I would go and pick up an Aquaclear70 because I strongly believe that it would increase water quality, flow, and the happiness of your corals.

Also I would get some more LR and a little more sand. That is just to make it look nicer in your dorm.

I would also make sure that you are keeping ALL components of your water parameters as steady as possible. This will help in creating a healthy little tank.
Old 09/14/2007, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

sounds like a cool little setup
Old 09/20/2007, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

1st...clean the salt creep off the front of your tank if you're going to post a pic of it on the internet.

2nd Get stronger lights...PC's very rarely deliver quality color from corals...just my experience
Old 09/20/2007, 10:55 AM
------------

Sweet mushrooms. So far they are definately the highlight.

Since we're throwing our own 2 cents at your right now, here is mine. Paint the back of the tank!! Or, at least put something up against the back.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 09/20/2007, 10:57 AM
Nano Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by clown fanatic

2nd Get stronger lights...PC's very rarely deliver quality color from corals...just my experience
Nah... 40w of PC over a 5.5g should be plenty enough to get good colors out of your corals. Hell, I have 48w of PC's over my 12g nanocube (stock dx lighting) and I get great colors out of all my softies/lps.
Old 09/20/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

I second upgrading to another filter. Not that its bad or anything its just that if you add an HOB filter youll have more water volume and space in your display for more rock and coral. That and I am not sure how much water movement that intank filter might provide.
Old 09/20/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

Leave the shallow sand bed they give a cleaner look. Forget the blackback give it long enough and it'll be covered in algea. A bit more rock would be nice. Post pics of whatever you want... exactly it's the internet ahah
Old 09/20/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

PS I did the pc think they do kinda suck.. but I also havea taste for sps and clams