Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/23/2007, 08:41 AM
TRC Leader

MACNA XIX - Sept 14 - 16 - Who's going?! (And what it is)

It's the time again. MACNA is almost here and many (nearly 1000) will make the annual trek to the Marine Aquarium Conference of North America.

This year, the Pittsburgh Marine Aquarium Society is the host club. With it being less than a month away, who's going?

Here's the main website: http://macnaxix.com/

I wrote an article a few years ago about what it is, as I hoped to help others understand why they should spend the money to attend. From time to time, I've seen people post a link to my article, but last night while I was at work, I thought about a different approach:

Picture in your mind the ultimate fish store - your dream store. Now think bigger. Really big. Big enough to hold a bunch of big tanks full of colorful livestock - zoanthids, SPS, LPS, clams, anemones, seahorses, pipefish, sea squirts, cultured live rock, tank-raise / captive bred fish as well as some rare fish you might not see often...

Now as you look around, you see all kinds of products. Stuff you've seen before, and new stuff you've never even dreamed of. Keep looking, and keep discovering new goodies. Products are everywhere, set up so that you can check them out and see how they are designed. You can hold it, see how loud it is, is it running warm? Does it do what you'd hope? And even better, representatives are nearby that can take the time to answer all of your questions right there on the spot. You don't have to find that LFS employee that is busy helping someone else because this place is super-staffed.

As you wander around looking at all the brand new stuff around you, you see high end light fixtures, computer-controlled ballasts, tanks in a variety of shapes, sizes, and varying design. Hobbyists are milling about ooh-ing and aah-ing over all the treasure they continue to discover, and you eavesdrop to pick up on their reactions. Listening in, you decide for yourself if their list of pros and cons make sense to you or not. All kinds of protein skimmers are on display. Some are running so you can see how they work. Aquarium controllers are laid out clearly, so you can figure out how they work, what they do and why they can benefit your system at home. Find out more about different fish foods, whether frozen or freeze-dried. Compare the different test kits available or stick around long enough to see how to use them correctly. Looking for a tiny heater for a pico tank? It's over there, down-a-ways on the left. It's right next to that really neat tank set up with submerged! LEDs.

Some products are showcased with video via laptops, others have rich colorful banners and posters, and there are plenty of handouts to help you remember those products you're interested in. Many things have a special MACNA price, discounted on the spot.

Popular reefkeepers that you know from online forums such as this one are there, and you can finally meet them face to face. Authors of books you've purchased (or have considered purchasing) are there laughing and hanging out, or demonstrating how to frag corals. You see scheduled talks planned for all three days on every conceivable topic that has to do with this hobby, and can choose to attend those in large spacious rooms nearby that are presented with slides, power point, or video where you can listen and learn without distraction.

While your normal LFS closes around 6 or 7pm, this place is abuzz with activity all evening. People are chattering about what they saw, what they just learned, what they hope to buy in the next day or so, or to regale others with their reef-war stories. You know you've got some of your own to tell. What better place to do so then in a collective group of hobbyists that can totally relate as they laugh and clink beer bottles together until late into the night? Sure, you could go up to your room and get a good night's rest, but you know it is way more fun staying up late. You can sleep when you're dead, right?

Similar to the Woot-Off event where people come together and chat about all kinds of nonsense while waiting for the next item to appear on Woot for a possible purchase, MACNA's 72 hours is the time when you'll get information overload - in a good way. You'll hardly get any sleep, you'll come home with fun memories, new gear, and less money... and that is exactly how it should be!

If you've never gone to this event before, there is still time to get registered. Sure you'll have to spend some hard-earned dollars but your skills in this hobby will be greatly enhanced. Your reef will benefit, and you'll be able to help others improve their skill as well because you'll have some solid answers to their questions. My first MACNA was in 2002, and I've not missed one since. It is a blast, and if you're lucky, you'll even win something in the raffle on Sunday afternoon. PLUS the vendors give away all kinds of stuff during the three days. Make out like a bandit - I hope to see you there.
Old 08/23/2007, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

I'm making the drive over from Indianapolis. This will be my first MACNA and I am sooo looking forward to it. The list of speakers and vendors for this year is amazing. Throw in the raffle items already listed, and you'd be crazy not to go!
Old 08/23/2007, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

I'll be heading up from Evansville, IN, starting the 8 hour drive at midnight to get there when the doors open. Anyone know a good place to buy redbull in bulk?
Old 08/23/2007, 11:07 AM
Ricordea ¤ Addict

I'll be there. Not a bad drive from Maryland, so How can I say no??

My only concern is keeping any corals I buy alive until I get home. How do people get around this??

I am a proud member of the Chesapeake Marine Aquaria Society (CMAS). If you're in the Maryland area check us out!
Old 08/23/2007, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

I'm flying with my reefing friend from Chicago and we are meeting up with my other reefing friend from Dallas. It's the first MACNA for both of us from Chicago and we can't wait!

Proud Member of CMAS & Rockford Reefers
Old 08/23/2007, 11:23 AM
Pingy Pingy!

Coming from Columbus.
Old 08/23/2007, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kiknchikn
I'll be there. Not a bad drive from Maryland, so How can I say no??

My only concern is keeping any corals I buy alive until I get home. How do people get around this??
From what I hear, many of the vendors will keep your purchases in their tanks until you get ready to leave. I hope this is the case, or I likely won't be buying too much livestock.
Old 08/23/2007, 12:07 PM
Ricordea ¤ Addict

I'm not made of money so I'm kind of concerned about buying, say a $100 yuma as an example, and paying them and hoping they don't just run off with my money. Then again all the vendors should be very reputable companies so maybe there's nothing to worry about?

I am a proud member of the Chesapeake Marine Aquaria Society (CMAS). If you're in the Maryland area check us out!
Old 08/23/2007, 01:02 PM
Enjoying every minute.

I'm in! Road trip from CT.
Old 08/23/2007, 01:09 PM
Team RC Member

Making the trip from Columbus as well!

Quote:
Originally posted by kiknchikn
I'm not made of money so I'm kind of concerned about buying, say a $100 yuma as an example, and paying them and hoping they don't just run off with my money. Then again all the vendors should be very reputable companies so maybe there's nothing to worry about?

things go amazingly well from what I have experienced with buying livestock at MACNA. More trouble getting it on a plane
Old 08/23/2007, 01:23 PM
Ricordea ¤ Addict

Well I'll be driving or taking a bus/RV full of CMAS members up there, so I don't have to worry about airport security freaking out

Old 08/23/2007, 01:23 PM
Ricordea ¤ Addict

Slow RC server + impatient reefer = double post

Old 08/23/2007, 01:29 PM
Premium Member

Speaking of planes ... what's the easiest way these days to fly corals home? Pack them real well in a cooler and check it in as luggage? We will be flying from Pittsburgh to Chicago O'Hare.

Proud Member of CMAS & Rockford Reefers
Old 08/23/2007, 03:06 PM
Reefin' Ain't Easy!

Wish i could go (due to me not having much to spend on corals lol) maybe next time.
"All the clownfish and yellow tangs in the world can't help you now!" - Peter Griffin
Old 08/23/2007, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

Wish I coud go but this is right before my family vacation and there is no way i can get the lady to let me go... I hope it is close again next year so i can make it!!!!
Old 08/23/2007, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

As tempting as that all sounds Marc, its just too far from Ireland.
Take lots of pics please!
Old 08/23/2007, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

I'll be there for sure
Old 08/23/2007, 07:41 PM
Standpipe Guy

I will be there. Meet ya in the bar.

Visit My Chunk of the Ocean, click the Red House above.
Old 08/23/2007, 08:15 PM
Movin On Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Mishap
I'll be there for sure
Hi Mishap, I'm Misled and from Pa too, strange huh???

Yep, got a whole 10 minute drive on the turnpike. Someone's gonna have to cut off my legs to keep me away!!!!

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 08/23/2007, 08:17 PM
Team RC Member

I'll be there saturday and sunday.
Old 08/23/2007, 08:21 PM
Boomer gave me this

I'll be coming in from Colorado, vendors hold the frags for you, thats easy bringing them on the plane sucks. Ricordeas can be wrapped in wet newspaper but most sps will die with that method ( I know i just tried it) I'm gonna try to have vendors take the stuff back with them to their shop and ship it to me the following monday. it's an extra $40-$50 but worth it to have live coral when you get home.

MACNA is amazing, I never want to miss one.
Old 08/23/2007, 08:28 PM
Movin On Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
I'll be there saturday and sunday.
Andrew, check your post count,12343.

Not why I came back though, I was wondering if one of you guys with god like powers could sticky one of these MACNA threads somewhere to make it a bit easier to keep track of. We've had a few running here and over in the psycho ward. Be nice to be able to keep up with this at a glance. Also may inform others not aware of it!!

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 08/23/2007, 08:35 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Misled
Andrew, check your post count,12343.

Not why I came back though, I was wondering if one of you guys with god like powers could sticky one of these MACNA threads somewhere to make it a bit easier to keep track of. We've had a few running here and over in the psycho ward. Be nice to be able to keep up with this at a glance. Also may inform others not aware of it!!
1 more to go. Just click the report this post to a mod and ask them to pin it. I can't.
Old 08/23/2007, 09:11 PM
TRC Leader

I can't wait to see all of you.

I have brought home corals on the plane as luggage. I packed it very well, and after TSA inspected it, I had my box placed in a rubbermaid tote bin (they use those for soft bags usually) to help avoid luggage bashing into my box. It arrived in perfect condition. Having a box with styrofoam insulation is ideal. You may be able to get one from one of the vendors (free or for a fee), but if you are worried you can always bring one with you. When I went to Boston, this is how I got my many frags home safely. When I went to Washington DC, I used a Seachem salt bucket to house my corals and didn't have to worry about possible leaks. And when I went to New York earlier this year, I brought home a few frags carefully packed in my suitcase. Some were in water, others with a damp papertowel. I still have all of them doing well, months later.

Vendors do sell corals throughout the conference, while others won't sell until Sunday. Those that sell earlier will keep your corals in the back section of the tank in the 'sold' section. You can just pick them up when it is time for you to leave.

Check-out for the hotel is always at noon, but each hotel I've stayed at has had a security room where I could put my luggage and new goodies until my flight leaves that evening.

Rich, I'll be looking for you at the conference and the bar. So be sure you have your namebadge with your username visible. It'll be nice to meet you finally.

Andrew - I made the request. It is up to the moderators if they want to pin it. At least for now, as we reply we keep bumping this thread and that keeps it pretty visible.
Old 08/23/2007, 09:15 PM
clownfish fan

im coming sunday

will be nice to meet you marc