Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/21/2007, 01:20 PM
stop the insults, please

Perfecto 265g - who has one?

Anyone have a perfecto 265g (84x24x30)? What do you think of it? I'm seriously considering this tank.
Old 08/21/2007, 01:21 PM
stop the insults, please

Sorry, wrong forum. I asked a mod to move it.
Old 08/21/2007, 05:26 PM
Premium Member

I have one and love it. I think it's the best bang for the buck in large tanks without going custom.

The only downside I have found with it is lighting. Since it's a 30" deep tank I would recommend using halides. You don't really see 84" lights so some people will use a 72" light over it. Typically a 72" light will have 3 halides which may or may not be enough for you.

What I did was use two 48" Halide light setups. I get about 3" of overhang on both sides of the tank which isn't really noticeable unless your looking for it but the actual lights inside the fixtures run the entire length of the tank and do not overhand so it worked out perfect. I also get 4 halides over the tank this way instead of 3. In the event of a dead fixture I could use one and center it or something to get by which is also nice.

I previously had a 120 (48x18x30) with a 48" halide strip over it and moved that over to the 265 and then picked up a matching light for the other side. I then used an old PC light setup for the 120 which is now a trigger tank (non-reef) so it worked out well.

All in all I love this tank and plan on picking up another one shortly for the opposing wall so I'll have 4 large tanks in my office.

Carlo
Old 08/21/2007, 07:05 PM
stop the insults, please

Wow its great to hear that. I agree with "bang for the buck". I have also been seriously looking at some custom 8' tanks with starfire and acrylic tanks too. The perfecto is appealing largely because its so much cheaper and almost as much tank...

As for lighting I'd be using the fixture from my 125, which is 72". Its three 175w halides and two 72" vho. I may eventually need to do something different, but from what I've been told it will work fine. How wide are the 3 openings? Are they all the same size? I was told they were, but I'd like to hear it from an owner!
Old 08/22/2007, 07:35 AM
Premium Member

I haven't ever measured it but they appear to be the same size.

You should be fine light wise. One nice thing about having 24" depth is that you can put another set of lights on top also. If you ever decided you want more light you could put a row or two of PC or T5/6 assuming there are in a "slim case".

I augment my lights with believe it or not, "Floodlights" (Lights of America) for the backyard. They are 100 watt PCs at 6,500 Kelvin which blends perfectly IMHO with the 10K/20K lights I run. I run 3 of these over the tank.

Carlo
Old 08/22/2007, 07:38 AM
stop the insults, please

Thanks for the info, its very helpful.

One other question, do you have the stock perfecto stand or are you using a custom stand? If its the stock, what do think of it? How is the front access?
Old 08/22/2007, 08:14 AM
Premium Member

I went with the stock stand since it matches my other "cheap" stands quite well. It's the oak finish which matches the tank trim well. I will pretty much always use the stand from the manufacture if possible otherwise the tank itself won't have the full warranty (gotta read that fine print). It's built pretty well and is plenty strong with good access. Oh btw, the back is pretty much completely open so if you need to get a large sump in there the time to do it is when setting up the tank.

There are 4 doors on the front that create 2 openings with a wood panel in the middle.

I myself have my plumbing ran into the basement so my undertank storage is just for a couple of closed loop pumps and electricity. It's obviously quite "empty" under my tank.
Old 08/22/2007, 08:19 AM
stop the insults, please

I'll definitely need to put most of my equipment in the stand. Is 4 doors enough access on a 7' stand? Can a sump be added to the stand from the top (before the tank is in place) or is the top of the stand covered in ply or something? If its open, is there any chance of getting some measurements so I can get a sump before the tank arrives?
Old 08/22/2007, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

the stand measures 84x24wx28H the top is open so you can put the sump in there.Might be easier to build your own stand.To make sure there is enough room
Old 08/22/2007, 11:46 AM
Premium Member

Actually the top is not completely open and has one cross bar. I just took a look at it and it would be no big deal to remove it with a hammer to put the sump in and then put the cross bar back. Probably all of 5 minutes work.

The cross bar doesn't touch the glass btw.

Carlo
Old 08/23/2007, 01:56 AM
Engineer

[moved]
Old 08/23/2007, 01:01 PM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

Actually, Perfecto makes 2 different styles of stand for the 265. They make the regular, inexpensive Pine stand, and their "Prestige" series which comes in Black, light oak, and Rosewood (cherry). The prestige stand has 3 larger doors, but has a solid top, and the pine has 4 smaller doors and the open top.

I'm also pretty sure that unless you use the Perfecto stand with the tank, you will void the warranty. You should call Perfecto to verify this, though.
Got these pictures from a friend who owns an LFS. Hope thius helps.
Prestige
[IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...lewithWood.jpg[/IMG]

Pine
[IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...neEnsemble.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08/23/2007, 01:05 PM
stop the insults, please

Ok, I've been looking at the prestige stand. I guess from the replies above, cayars has the pine stand?

I still have no idea what size sump I can get in the stand without cutting anything. To do this I'll need the sump already here when the tank is delivered. I am NOT moving the tank to fit the sump in there after the fact...
Old 08/23/2007, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

My LFS has one for sale it is the RR model i check it out very thoroughly much better than AGA is you asked me they even silicon under the top trim like Oceanic does, also the whole RR plastic corner overflow grill comes out for cleaning .