Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/05/2002, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

huma tank mates*

any 1 with trigger experience, what's a good tank mate for a huma
huma in a 75g? I would like 2 try an eel but only if they will work.
What else can live with the huma?
david
Old 10/05/2002, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

Location: 1477 S. Prescott Ave., Clearwater, Florida. Phone: (727) 443-6459
I personally wouldn't suggest an eel as tankmate for a trigger of any kind.
It COULD work with LOTS of liverock, so that the eel can stay completely in the rockwork and not have his tail exposed at any time, but it's an iffy at best.
I'm not saying it's impossible, but definitely risky.
Better tankmates would be a kole or yellow tang, medium sized wrasses (usually one per tank), hogfish (spotfin or lyretail), larger blennies, hamlets or even a six-lined soapfish, to name just a few.
Old 10/05/2002, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

Putting a moray in with a trigger depends upon how established the trigger is beforehand, and (this is the unpredictable part) how mean the trigger is--sometimes you do not find out until it is too late. That said, I think you could put a snowflake moray in with your huma. I've had triggers and morays mixed several times, and have never had a problem. As an example, my current clown trigger is semi-nasty and has tortured a few fish to death, but has been in with two morays and never bothered them.

My theory is that triggers want a lot of room to themselves, and if you have a large tank, a moray that is usually slithering around in the rocks doesn't get in a trigger's way, so it will be left alone. Put them together in a tighter area and you might have a trigger temper tantrum.

You will need a larger tank for the huma eventually, I hope you realize?
Old 10/05/2002, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

Forgot to mention --- make sure the moray size is compatable with the trigger. Obviously, a large fish-eating moray will have a small trigger for lunch.
Old 10/06/2002, 10:29 AM
Fish Addict

Neon dottyback. Small, colorful, serious attitude. Will do well with a trigger IMO and IME. Humu's are unpredictable IME in terms of how they deal with tankmates. Some are viscious, some pretend noone else is in the tank. Good luck.