Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/15/2007, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

Stowaway?

I recently added a hang on refugium to my 30 gallon tank. The results have been superb and the inhabitants are definitely happier. I noticed over the past week that my Chaeto and other macroalgae (sargassum and red algae that I collected in the Gulf) was shrinking. I decided to remove the algae and remove a couple of hermit crabs that had found their way into the refugium.

I put the algae into a small holding tank while cleaning it out. The red algae was totally missing. As I put the sargassum back into the refugium, I noticed a dark mass in the algae. It turned out to be a three inch sea hare!

I put it into the display tank, where I guess it will graze for whatever is there, although it won't be growing nearly as fast. Any pointers?

You never know what you'll find in one of these tanks!
Old 08/15/2007, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

I cant help you with your sea hare problem but I read on a thread that a guy got a goby in one of his live rocks.
-Aqua C Remora
Livestock
-Orange Spotted watchman goby and candy cane pistol

38 gallon reef in the making
Old 08/15/2007, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

pretty sure the sea hare will starve after it has eaten all (or most of) the algea in the display tank..
Old 08/17/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

I plan on taking him back to the Gulf with the nuiscance crabs next month. He's interesting, but too large (and hungry) for my tank.