Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern Colorado Marine Aquarist Society (SCMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/07/2007, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

Levels - Spiking? New tank

Hi Guys:

I used live sand and rock in my nano and never saw a spike/cycle. Will I see one if using established and live sand/rock in the 90? I realize that by stirring everything up the bacteria will be released from the sand, so will there be a period of time that I need to watch for? The cycle should be much shorter, correct?

Thanks,
Keri
Old 08/07/2007, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

You may not see any spike at all. If you don't see anything within a week, you should be ok. All of this is dependant on how long your rock was out of the water and if it dried out or not. You will probably loose any sponges and algae on the rock but the actual nitrifying bacteria will be fine.
Old 08/07/2007, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

I am planning to cover it immediately with water (the rock and sand) when I get home and keep a powerhead and heater in with it until it goes into the tank. I have a ton of tupperware storage bins and will try to keep the rock submerged/damp during the ride home tonight. Little to no cycle would be great.
Old 08/07/2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

You can also cover the rock with wet newspaper, that is how the shippers do it.
Old 08/07/2007, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

Excellent idea. I'll get some on my way home....Do I need to keep a light on the rock/sand while waiting, or will the heaters/powerheads be enough?
Old 08/07/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Heater and powerheads should do, light will keep the coraline from freaking out from what I've seen, not sure though. I'd tos the sand in a tupperware bucket with some saltwater and do the wet newspaper for the live rock, you might end up with a few dry spots here and there but you'll know within a week if your going to get a spike or not, I doubt it (unless the ride home is super long or disaster strikes).
Old 08/07/2007, 12:48 PM
SCMAS Member

The best way to transport LR is in 5 gal buckets full of water that way there is no die off. The newspaper method always has some die off. The only reason shippers use it is because they can't ship the water with the rock.