Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/05/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

Cube Tank Misconception???

Hey Everyone

For some reason I have been noticeing a growing trend of people stateing that they own a cube tank,when in fact they dont.Have people forgotten ,or dont know what a cube really is?I mean really its been so frequently seen that its actually starting to bother me for some stupid reason.For a tank to be a called a cube,means that all of its dimensions need to be the same.Just because the length and width are the same does'nt mean you own a cube tank.Its simple geometry,but yet people here seem to have trouble of understanding that.

Is there a COOL FACTOR with owning a cube tank going on that I dont know of?I own a ford explorer,you dont see me going around telling people I own an escalade.

This whole cube misconception is real apparent in the large reef tank forum.A lot of tanks owners like to state that they own a cube tank,and when you look at the dims of the tank.you'll see something like 48"x48"x20".Are these people forgetting that there tank is missing 28' in height to make there tank an actual cube?

Heres what the dictionary has to say about a cube.

"a block having the shape of a solid figure having six square faces of equal area, in which the angle between any two adjacent sides is a right angle".

It just bugs me how some people can take something so simple and twist it all up.Anybody else feel like I do about this?

By the way for those off you that own square shaped tanks,please dont take offense if your one of these people that have mistitled the description of your tank as a cube.Not here to **** anybody off,just wanted to clarify to everyone what a cube really is.
Old 08/05/2007, 12:48 PM
Slightly Obsessed

I think most of us are smart enough (or remember our elementary geometry lessons enough) to know what a true cube is! But in the aquarium world, "cube tank" doesn't necessarily coincide with your above definition. Just like when someone says, "That's the bomb!"....they're not generally referring to an actual bomb.

I've studied the English language in great length, and one thing is obvious: it's very flexible and fluid. Meanings change and evolve...especially in specialized areas.

So maybe you can adjust your definition of "cube" when it comes to aquaria. When someone says they have a cube tank, you can now ask, "Oh, and what are the dimensions?" When I lived in GA (for five years), it bugged me at first that they called every type of pop/soda "coke". I would ask for a coke, and they would ask, "What kind?" In time, I just accepted it and moved on....no changing their minds
Old 08/05/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

I know what you mean about the soda thing.I moved to Florida a couple years ago,and people here freak out when I ask them for pop.One friend of mine didnt even know what pop was.He was like what the heck are you talking about.I guess its something I will have to get used to.

I think thats how the word aint got into the dictionary.I always got hassled in grammar school by my teachers telling me aint wasnt a word.Well I bet there not saying that now,lol.
Old 08/05/2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Who cares....get a life.
Old 08/05/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by masterfuji01
Who cares....get a life.
Thats rude and uncalled for.If you dont have something to post about the thread,dont bother posting at all please.
Old 08/05/2007, 01:38 PM
Premium Member

My tank is 24 x 18 x 24. I call it "cubish".
Old 08/05/2007, 01:42 PM
saltwater in my veins

Do you get mad at ice cube trays as well?
Old 08/05/2007, 01:47 PM
Slightly Obsessed

There was a time when this forum was pretty friendly. Now we're all, apparently, a bunch of sons of b****es.
Old 08/05/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HBtank
I'm sorry...thats damn funny
Old 08/05/2007, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HBtank
Do you feel some overwhelming desire to be rude?
Old 08/05/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

it has more to do with appearance than actual dimensions. Shallow cubes rule.
Old 08/05/2007, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Der_Iron_Chef
There was a time when this forum was pretty friendly. Now we're all, apparently, a bunch of sons of b****es.
A lot of members here feel that they can disrespect people from the comfort of there homes nowadays.I bet they dont act like this with people in public.

I dont see why people just cant be polite or not say anything at all.I was raised to treat people the way I wanted to be treated.So I am polite to people whether I am in person,on the net or on the phone.No biggie though,rudeness is a common practice in this world and is to be expected from those that dont know no better.
Old 08/05/2007, 02:10 PM
Obsessed reefer

Actual geometric definitions of a "cube" aside, I also think this does not apply to aquaria. If width and length are the same I consider it a cube tank. Height being equal does not matter to me. In fact, shallower tanks can be advantageous when keeping light demanding corals and eliminates the need for HIGH powered 400 watt halides etc.

What does it matter really. So it does not match the definition in a High Scool Geometry text book. If it can be called cubish, then it is close enough to be called a cube tank IMO.

......Hi Joe..........
Old 08/05/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Why doesnt reality apply to aquaria?It should be considered,seeing that were all trying to replicate a real reef in our aquariums.I do see what you mean about having a shallow tank,pertaining to lighting needs.But that still doesnt make it logical to call a tank a cube when its not.If people called them cubish,thats one thing,but there not saying that.There saying they have a cube,when in fact they dont.

It doesnt really matter,one way or the other,i've just been real curious to why people have gotten into the habit of misidentifying things.
Old 08/05/2007, 02:53 PM
Unregistered Member

Twisting words and trying to apply one of several literal definitions of a general phrase or term to spite others is pretty weak. The fact is, a cube tank doesn't have to be a geometric cube and that's all there really is to it. I mean why not criticize the fact that cube tanks don't technically have six sides?

Take a look here:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cube

Did you overlook all the other definitions when you copy & pasted the definition you wanted to use for your point?

* having this form or a form approximating it: a cube of cheese; plastic storage cubes.

* Something having the general shape of a cube: a cube of sugar.

* a three-dimensional shape with six square or rectangular sides [syn: block]

* a block in the (approximate) shape of a cube

* Slang. a person who is unaware of or unfamiliar with current ideas, opinions, trends, etc.; square.

You get the point?

And the comment about ice cube trays: funny, not rude at all

Don't take it so personal - you started an attack, what do you expect? It's just fun!!
Old 08/05/2007, 03:38 PM
Premium Member

I've always thought of tanks with identical length and width as 'cubes' - they've got a square footprint, as opposed to the standard rectangle, and this is really what we're trying to differentiate them from. If someone's got a 24" x 24" x 18"H tank, I'd feel comfortable with them referring to that as a cube; it's much easier to say you've got a cube tank than to say 'I have an 18" high tank with a 24" x 24" footprint'. What a mouthful, and it gets the exact same idea across.

Honestly, try to just accept it - I don't think the terminology is going to change any time soon. Besides, think of all the other commonly used terms in the hobby that aren't technically correct:

- Live rock - the rock itself isn't alive. I suppose we could call it 'bacterially inhabited rock' but it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue
- Hermit crabs - AFAIK they're not really crabs, at least not in the same sense as things like Mithrax and Xanthids are
- Mandarin goby - these guys are actually dragonettes, not gobies
- Fluorescent bulbs - AFAIK, to those who work in the lighting industry, what we call a 'bulb' is actually called a lamp.

So... I figure if you know what someone means, and they're using the generally accepted term, just roll with it
Old 08/05/2007, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

So Alpine, are you recommending we refer to them as fish cubicles instead?
Old 08/05/2007, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

alpine....lighten up DUDE....go have a beer...and look at your cube !
Old 08/05/2007, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

It flows off the tongue better to say "I have a 30 gallon cube" then it does to say " I have a 24x24x12 half cube which equals about 30 gallons"

It's a hobby, it's meant for enjoyment. If you can't accept the slang, don't use it, do not ridicule people for not following the textbook definition of the word "cube". And definitely don't get upset when people respond to your attack on them with the same attitude you came here with.
Old 08/05/2007, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alpine
Do you feel some overwhelming desire to be rude?
Chill out my friend... the ice cube comment wasn't rude at all.
Old 08/05/2007, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

I get the point people.

"fish cubicles",lol,that would be a good name.

hottuna
I think I need to do just that,its been a long hectic day.
Old 08/05/2007, 05:21 PM

well, I used to have a bona fide cube tank. It's 24 x 24 x 24, but since I added a canopy it's now 24 x 24 x 25!! OMG I am doomed now.
Old 08/05/2007, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mishap
And definitely don't get upset when people respond to your attack on them with the same attitude you came here with.
I am not attacking anybody with any attitude,and I defiantely did not come here with an attitude.Also those that are responding with smart off topic comments dont even have cube tanks.

I asked a simple logical question.Probaly should of worded it better then I did,unfortuneately I did not.I also did put in a note that it was not my intention to upset anybody who owns a cube tank.
Old 08/05/2007, 06:01 PM
Corgilover

A rant is a rant. There will always be disagreements. Sure most cube tanks are not true to the definition of a cube. But it doesn't bother me at all. And I don't own a cubish tank.
Old 08/05/2007, 06:08 PM
Boomer gave me this

I think you are right it isnt technically a cube but when i see a tank that is square I consider it a cube no matter the height.
Technically wrong but I think we all look at them this way, sorry if we we're European we would not be so stupid and not make such redneckish comments