Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/17/2007, 01:03 AM
Premium Member

Calcium Reactor and Protein Skimmer Recommendation for a 450 gallon?

I am getting a 450 Gallon (120"X36"X24") acrylic reef tank for my next "adventure" and was wondering everyone's recommendations on
1. Calcium Reactor
2. Protein Skimmer
I don't have a whole lot of money and am interested in DIY if it is not too complicated and has full instructions on how to build.
But, please give me your honest suggestion even if costs a pretty penny.
Or is there anyone out there that does DIY at a reasonable price?
One last question - I have never handled or even seen someone handle a Calcium Reactor before - are there basic instructions on how to run one properly?

Thanks Everyone
Old 07/17/2007, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

I would give the ATI BM 250 skimmer a look if you are price conscious and still need some powerful skimming.
Old 07/17/2007, 02:38 PM
Grand High Puba

I'd probably shoot for a big dual beckett.
Old 07/17/2007, 04:32 PM
Grand High Puba

Check these out:

http://www.marinetechnical.com/page2.html

The max 5200 is nice by Barr/Austin as well:

http://www.austinoceans.com/products...persizeSkimmer
Old 07/17/2007, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

The only problem with Becketts is the cost of running them which you have to take into account. Might want to go with a needle wheel design like a big ASM. Less pump = less electricity.
Old 07/17/2007, 05:36 PM
Grand High Puba

Quite right.

The way I figured it was; if you can afford to fill a 450 gallon aquarium with livestock, you can afford to run a big pump skimmer =)
Old 07/17/2007, 05:38 PM
Grand High Puba

Based on what he says about money restraints, maybe a BM250 would be a better choice. Would a BM250 be enough skimmer for a tank this big?
Old 07/17/2007, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

For that size of tank I would go with the ORCA skimmer. I'm getting one of it as soon as I could figure out the right placement in my cabinet.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1096170
Old 07/17/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

A 450? To set it up properly you will need a lot of money. I just hope you do it right. Good Luck though I wish you the best. If you're wanting a calcium reactor I assume you're going to fill it up with corals that suck it out. They cost alot of money to fill a 450 gallon. Again good luck
Old 07/17/2007, 06:49 PM
Grand High Puba

The Reeflo is a beast seems perfect for a 450.
Old 07/17/2007, 07:19 PM
Premium Member

I have actually already seen most of those. And I am well aware that I am going to need a lot of skimming. I have just seen most of the good ones over $1000 which seems a lot for one device for the tank.
Quote:
The way I figured it was; if you can afford to fill a 450 gallon aquarium with livestock, you can afford to run a big pump skimmer =)
Well, yeah, but I am not one to just throw money around, I do research first and find the best deal for what I need, that is why I am asking the questions.
Quote:
Would a BM250 be enough skimmer for a tank this big?
From what I have read it could be big enough.
Quote:
A 450? To set it up properly you will need a lot of money. I just hope you do it right. Good Luck though I wish you the best. If you're wanting a calcium reactor I assume you're going to fill it up with corals that suck it out. They cost alot of money to fill a 450 gallon. Again good luck
I purchased the tank for $2375. 4X 250 watt 14k HQI halides and 4X 110 VHO Super Actinics for $705. 170 Gallon sump for $120. 65 Gallon Refugium I already have. 2X Tunze 6000's to add to the 2 I already have for $400. Iwaki 100RLT and Sequence Dart to add to the 2 Iwaki 55RLT's I already have for $400. Pentair Lifegard Fluidized Reactor for $70. 120" of moonlight for $50.
So, I already have $4,120 invested (not including the stuff I already have at about $2,000), I just want to not go crazy with the money I have left, I want to spend it wisely and make this tank the best it can be.

This is my current 125 gallon reef, only the rio's were changed for Tunze's.
I also have a 240 Fish Only, no pics yet.
Old 07/17/2007, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
you're going to fill it up with corals that suck it out. They cost alot of money to fill a 450 gallon
I have a connection and get all of my fish and corals wholesale. Won't cost me much at all to fill the tank.
The money is going towards the devices to run the tank!
Thank god I have an understanding wife and extra bedroom to do all of this.
Old 07/17/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

This is true

Quote:
Originally posted by Waxxiemann
Quite right.

Old 07/17/2007, 11:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
This is true
Quote:
Quite right. The way I figured it was; if you can afford to fill a 450 gallon aquarium with livestock, you can afford to run a big pump skimmer =)
Do I sense some jealousy?
LOL, I understand where you guys are coming from, but if you have the money should you really just spend as much as possible to have the latest greatest biggest thing in the world?
Why not do some investigation, find out what works best for you, your tank, and your wallet, and then purchase that.
I know there a lot of opinions out there, that is why I ask, but getting on me for wanting to save money should be the last thing in this thread.
I do want to get many things and spend money to make this a great tank, but there is always a limit to that amount of money.
I didn't win the lottery, I work very hard for my money, I am only 25 and I am very lucky that I have a family business that I consider my career for life.
Thanks for everyone's opinions and I would love to hear more.
By the way, so far I really like the Octopus DDNW-250.
And what about a good calcium reactor?
Old 07/18/2007, 01:05 PM
Grand High Puba

I'd probably check this out:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch..._Code=creactor

EDIT: also, I'm not trying to "Get on you", I just want to show you what some really good options are. I know what it's like to buy a peice of equipment and then curse and swear every day cause it's a peice of junk and you could have spent 2 or 3 hundred dollars more and got somthing really great. I just hate buying somthing twice you know?

I just want to help you out man.

Last edited by Waxxiemann; 07/18/2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07/18/2007, 05:36 PM
overcompensator

I have a 450 display total of about 800 gallons I run a H/S A250 that cost around 1700$ but all in all it is the best $ I have ever spent on my tank.

I did run a GEO duel Beckett and a ASM G6 but the H/S out perfomed them by far.

As for a reactor I run a custom GEO.

Here are some pics.

Old 07/18/2007, 05:51 PM
Grand High Puba

nice skimmer and tank man. Got any FTS? Is that an Ocean Reef Ro/DI back there from the Filter guys? I got one about a year ago and I just love it.
Old 07/18/2007, 06:21 PM
Premium Member

Update -
I am now purchasing a ASM G-6 that has been modified with 3 Sedra 9000's to be a recirculating protein skimmer. 4 ft. tall rated for up to 1200 gallons stocked, 1600 gallons otherwise. $450

Now I just need to work on the Calcium Reactor.

Quote:
EDIT: also, I'm not trying to "Get on you", I just want to show you what some really good options are. I know what it's like to buy a peice of equipment and then curse and swear every day cause it's a peice of junk and you could have spent 2 or 3 hundred dollars more and got somthing really great. I just hate buying somthing twice you know?
I understand and appreciate the help.
Old 07/18/2007, 06:23 PM
Premium Member

Quick question - I have seen single chamber and dual chamber calcium reactors and they usually aren't too different in price.
Should I go with dual chamber? I have heard it helps in the long run.
Old 07/18/2007, 06:24 PM
Grand High Puba

That skimmer sounds like it will fit the bill. Did you check out the GEO calcium reactor I linked a few posts back?
Old 07/18/2007, 09:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Did you check out the GEO calcium reactor I linked a few posts back?
I did, but check out this deal

Geo Calcium Reactor 618 Reactor Package

Includes:

Geo 618 Reactor
Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator
Milwaukee SMS122 PH Controller
10lb CO2 Tank
1 - 10lb container of GenX CRM
MaxiJet 1200 feed pump

Reg Price - 673.50
Package Price - 638.90

Do you think this would be good and it is a good deal?
Old 07/19/2007, 12:20 PM
Grand High Puba

Yeah, I think that IS a good deal. If you load that tank with SPS you'll be filling it with calcium more often but big deal. I'd probably jump on it. What does everyone else think? Another nice thing is that the 618 runs on an ehiem so it will draw very little.
Old 07/19/2007, 04:31 PM
TOTM October 2007

i would recommend the new ORCA needlewheel skimmer from premium aquatics:

here is a discussion on mine:
http://www.mycomas.com/content/view/101/87/

There is more information in the premium aquatics sponsors forum.

Cost is $1299 for limited time then 1499.

This skimmer is the best I have had experience with.

Paul.
Old 07/19/2007, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Yeah, I think that IS a good deal. If you load that tank with SPS you'll be filling it with calcium more often but big deal. I'd probably jump on it.
Like you said earlier in the thread though, if you can spend a little more to get a better deal then you should. So, I may actually get the Geo 624 which is better suited for my size tank and lots of corals. and its only another $70.
Quote:
i would recommend the new ORCA needlewheel skimmer from premium aquatics:
Thanks, but I am already purchasing an ASM G-6 rated for 1200 gallons for $450.
Old 07/20/2007, 03:27 PM
TOTM October 2007

FWIW:

The ASM g6 is what i took off.