Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/15/2007, 11:11 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Unhappy What's the dumbest way you killed a fish?

I did a large water change. By the time the water got pumped out and new water got pumped back in, I guess a wrasse stayed in the rock, didn't flop out, and died I feel like such a turd....

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 07/15/2007, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

Had a purple pseudochromis stay in a rock when I upgraded tanks. The rock was without water for an hour or so....Never saw him again. Really upset me though, since he was the oldest fish and had the most personality.
Old 07/16/2007, 12:02 AM
Premium Member

I haven't killed one personally, but my wife did once when I was out of town working my yellow coris wrasse jumped out the back of my 65g tank and instead of grabbing it with her hands, she used the tongs. Needless to say, she squoze it to tight and it died the next morning.
Old 07/16/2007, 07:57 AM
Registered Member

I didn't cover one outlet on my overflow when I first set up my tank, and my green chromis managed to find that *one* hole and went into the skimmer.
Old 07/16/2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michelle L
I didn't cover one outlet on my overflow when I first set up my tank, and my green chromis managed to find that *one* hole and went into the skimmer.
Ouch!

Old 07/16/2007, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

I know a guy that broke his thermoeter in his tank and didn't know it until he took his ground probe out and all the fish got zapped.

Small shark
Powder Blue
Yello Tang
Anthesis
Maroon clown
Old 07/16/2007, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

I was feeding a Green Spotted Puffer some brine shrimp for the first time and he got so excited chasing one he hit the glass and killed himself. He was such a good pet. I felt horrible.
Now everytime I see a fish bump into the glass I think of him.
Old 07/16/2007, 09:21 AM
Premium Member

I recently had a cord for pump catch fire and my wife used the fire extinguisher on my tank. While I lost my coral, all the fish survived. While I had the hood off on candy stripe hog warsse went carpet surfing.

The two remaining percs I put into a bucket with a small power head. They where in the bucket for a few days when I decided to move them to a small 12 gallon nano cube. As I was setting up the nano cube, I realized I forgot to turn on my ro/di last time I took water from it and didn't have enough water. No problem, the fish had been in the bucket almost a week with no problems. The next day I set up the nano cube, and went to get the percs, and one of them had gotten his head stuck in the intake for the small powerhead. RIP
Old 07/16/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

In my freshwater tank, I was putting in a tank divider to keep a couple of fish seperated and I squashed a chinese algae eater against the glass.
I felt bad, but it wasn't a financial loss.
Old 07/16/2007, 01:18 PM
Flowalicious

Not reef, not even fish tank.

We've got an inground pool with some sort of wierd "natural" filter system that uses almost no chlorine. I threw a 1lb crappie on the pool cover in about october. Theres about 12" of water over the cover all winter. I found him dried up on the mulch pile in May, right after we opened the pool. Apparantly my dad had been skimming the leaves out of the pool, had caught this almost 2lb crappie, and not noticed.

I also found a Yellow lab from my mbuna tank out on the back lawn. I think my dad was cleaning the tank, and the fish was in a rock.
Old 07/16/2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Not a fish, but I found a 18" rat snake dead in my sump with it's head caught in the intake to my ampmaster (no strainer). I guess this could be seen as a good thing though...

I have killed peppermints because they get in the rocks and don't come out when I remove them for a half hour or so.

Worst fish is anytime that one jumps out and I feel like an a-hole for not having a top. Crosshatch and male watanabei hurt the worst.
Old 07/16/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

I had decided to redo my 10 gallon tank which had been home to a huge hermit crab and a damsel for something to look at, the hermit finally died so I moved the damsel into my main tank. Added uncured live rock to the 10 gallon for cycling, once I got close to the end of the cycle I rearranging the rocks to my liking and took a large rock out of the main tank to put in the 10 gallon, plopped in the rock, out pops my damsel! I quickly ran over, grabbed a net and put him back in the main tank but the shock was too much for him, dead the next day. Also lost a couple from small enough holes in my hood to jump out of.
Old 07/16/2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RichConley
Not reef, not even fish tank.

We've got an inground pool with some sort of wierd "natural" filter system that uses almost no chlorine. I threw a 1lb crappie on the pool cover in about october. Theres about 12" of water over the cover all winter. I found him dried up on the mulch pile in May, right after we opened the pool. Apparantly my dad had been skimming the leaves out of the pool, had caught this almost 2lb crappie, and not noticed.

I also found a Yellow lab from my mbuna tank out on the back lawn. I think my dad was cleaning the tank, and the fish was in a rock.
What's a crappie?

BTW, your dad's a strong guy to not notice a two pound "leaf"

Old 07/16/2007, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

I accidentally salted a black saddleback clown in QT

Doing a water change in my 20g QT. I usually do 50% water changes per week when QTing. While daydreaming I must have used a 1-1 ratio cup of salt mix per gallon (instead of 1/2 cup per gallon rule of thumb). When adding the new water the SG went from 1.020 to over 1.030 in seconds.

Unfortunately the rapid increase in SG must have shocked the poor little guy, rapid breathing until the next day when he passed to fishy heaven. I'm certainly not very proud of it, but I did learn a cruel lesson, major brain-fart on my part.
Old 07/16/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

Re: I accidentally salted a black saddleback clown in QT

Quote:
Originally posted by bc explore reef
Doing a water change in my 20g QT. I usually do 50% water changes per week when QTing. While daydreaming I must have used a 1-1 ratio cup of salt mix per gallon (instead of 1/2 cup per gallon rule of thumb). When adding the new water the SG went from 1.020 to over 1.030 in seconds.

Unfortunately the rapid increase in SG must have shocked the poor little guy, rapid breathing until the next day when he passed to fishy heaven. I'm certainly not very proud of it, but I did learn a cruel lesson, major brain-fart on my part.
This reminds me of a story I heard from the pet store I frequent. One of their frequent customers has a 300g tank. He went on a two day business trip, and to be nice, his girlfriend (who doesn't really do anything with fish) wanted to be nice by doing a large water change for him while he was away. She just forgot one thing, the salt. He came back to a tank full of dead fish, including a mated pair of adult emperor angels.
Old 07/16/2007, 05:06 PM
Always Learning

When I used to work at a LFS, we would sometimes get fish in with flukes and such. So we would give them about an 8 minute freshwater dip, unfortunately we would sometimes get distracted by a customer or something and forget all about the fish. I did the same thing with my purple tang about a year ago, but he managed to tough it out for 45 minutes (I still have no idea how he didn't die).

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
Old 07/16/2007, 10:24 PM
Unregistered Member

I took out an ornament(when I first started.) and it had a bi color psuedochromis still in it. He was a bully anyways.

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 07/16/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

a crappie is a freshwater fish aka "panfish" "bluegill" "sunfish"
Old 07/16/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

when i first set up my ten gal i let it cycle for about 3 weeks kept it spotless clean got my water tested and was pumped to add a domino damsel. much to my dismay it lasted only 3 days. got my water tested again by a diff lfs employee and found out that my hydrometer was the biggest piece of crap ever my salinity was like 1.04!

i also had a bangai cardinal get caught in a power head and ive also lost 2 diff peppermint shrimp to mysterious reasons
Old 07/17/2007, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

i caught a fish and something distracted me and i left the net sitting out of the water with the fish in it. and when i came back....like hours later, it was dried up. I was like 10. i think my mom wanted me to take out the trash. poor guppy.
Old 07/17/2007, 02:36 AM

Not me but my wife managed to "feed" show guppy fry to my son's goldfish. Back in the day I used to breed guppies and I told her that the adult females usually eat the fry right after they are born so her job was to separate them, which she did - but instead of putting them in QT, she transferred them to the goldfish bowl and thought the goldfish will not eat them. Well, of course they did.
Old 07/17/2007, 06:07 AM
Registered Member

I work at a lfs, and while trying to net a Firefish it jumped out, behind the tank... I got off the ladder (top row tank) ran around looking for the fish, carefully watching my feet. I started to give up on the floor and check the system sump which fish from that tank sometimes land when POP! I stepped on his head, and it literally popped. I still feel bad, and my boss takes great pleasure in teasing me....

"Well behaved women never get any respect" -- Benazir Bhutto
Old 07/17/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Did a water change in my qt ... next day noticed I had one less Chromis in the tank ... thought, oh well maybe the other fish ate it or it jumped out ... couple days after trying to do another water change I noticed my siphon hose wasn't working too well and smelled pretty bad ... ended up a 1 1/2" long Chromis was caught in a section of the siphon hose
Old 07/17/2007, 01:50 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by reiko1078
a crappie is a freshwater fish aka "panfish" "bluegill" "sunfish"
bluegill and sunfish are completely different.

Crappie, aka Calico Bass.

theyre a small game fish, get up to about 5lbs, although a 3lb'er is a great fish. Theyre extremely predatory.

When you're skimming leaves, the leaves are soaked, so it gets pretty heavy at times.
Old 07/17/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Some people eat crappie...i think it tastes crappy too.

I lost a 6 line wrasse to not putting the cage on the bottom of a MJ 1200. He swam up in it somehow( i noticed because it wasnt pumping)....bored the little booger to death.

Left the cage of a tunze 6000 momentarily thinking it would be off, but it came on too quickly needless to say my copperband butterfly chased a mysis into its blades.....this was by far my worst.