Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/15/2007, 08:59 PM
Premium Member

Problems with CO2

My Milwaukee CO2 regulator won't keep running. I adjust the needle valve to let the CO2 flow and it stops after a few minutes. I adjust it again, the CO2 flow, and it stops again. I can't keep it going.

Does this mean my CO2 tank is almost empty or maybe a problem with the regulator?

-Mike
Old 07/15/2007, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

First the obvious question, what do the gauges read?

I have had that problem before, i think it was in the solenoid, i unplugged it then plugged it in again and it started working.

Did you follow the instructions when putting it on? I know it says you have to either have it all the way shut off or all the way open when you hook it to the tank or you could damage it.
Old 07/15/2007, 09:24 PM
Premium Member

I had a Milwaukee regulator and could not keep it adjusted for any length of time. I struggled with it for a long time before replacing it with a different one. It was like night and day. I never have to adjust the new one. It just works.
Old 07/15/2007, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

The left gauge reads 1000 psi and the right one reads nothing. The solenoid works fine - the bubbles start off strong and then slow down until they stop.

I took it all apart and reinstalled the gauge using the instructions but it still doesn't work.

I didn't read the instructions when I hooked it up after my tank move so maybe I damaged it by having it shut off all the way. I don't remember.

I think this happened once before and a tank refill fixed it - but I can't really remember.

-Mike
Old 07/15/2007, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

I can't seem to remember anything lately. Must be getting old.

-Mike
Old 07/15/2007, 11:13 PM
Lost in Space

Mike...mine did that and I ended up cleaning the needle valve in alcohol and it has worked fine since. CO2 from a welding supply isn't a clean gas and contaminants can make a mess of the need valve. It was easy to clean.

And the more I know, the less I understand
All the things I thought I'd figured out
I have to learn again
Old 07/15/2007, 11:29 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Do I just unscrew the needle valve and clean it or do I somehow need to soak a larger part of the regulator in alcohol?

-Mike
Old 07/15/2007, 11:36 PM
Lost in Space

The whole valve assembly unscrews from the regulator solenoid valve. Unscrew the bubble counter first so it doesn't get broken. You will notice the needle valve has some glue around it and once that is broken loose it will unscrew. I used some super glue gel to make sure mine sealed back up. Don't worry, the glue does not hold well on brass, you will be able to take it off again. Do a soap bubble test to check for leaks, you may not need any glue. Mine didn't leak but I am not trusting of leaks so I glued it. The bubble counter has an o-ring on it the bottom where it screws into the solenoid...lubricate it with silicone grease but just a little to ensure it stays pliable and seals.

I have to learn again
Old 07/15/2007, 11:39 PM
Lost in Space

One thing...you cannot completely remove the needle from the valve w/o the right tool so you will have to soak the needle valve assemply once you remove it from the solenoid.. I soaked mine and worked it back and forth and used an old salifert needle dropper to shoot alcohol through it.

I have to learn again
Old 07/16/2007, 06:54 AM
Premium Member

Got it. I'll give it a try tonight.

-Mike
Old 07/17/2007, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, Jack. I cleaned the needle valve with alcohol and everything is working great.

-Mike
Old 07/17/2007, 09:42 PM
Lost in Space

Now that's what I was waiting to hear!!! It is really pretty easy to do.

I have to learn again