Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/10/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

Please help me pic a nano (RSM or JBJ 28gal. 150 HQI)?!?

Alright here I go.... I have a 55 gal. that is dry right now and i am currently trying to sell it. I plan on buying a nano within the next month. My problem is which one to buy. I'll start with the RSM.

Looks great when set up and gives me an extra 6 gallons. I have read just about every forum and thread on them and for the most part every owner seems to love theirs. The only negative about the tank they speak of is the skimmer which i would probably replace anyways (supposedly ineffective and very loud) and micro bubbles but that is supposedly an easy fix. I have found the RSM for $680 with the stand on superfishstore.com and that seems to be the cheapest. I do question the lighting 2X55 watt (T5??) i have heard that it is not actual t5 lighting and is actually power compact?

Now the JBJ 150 HQI

I have seen a photo of it set up at some LFS and it does look pretty amazing. The 150watt MH looks great and will be more than enough lighting to keep just about anything. It is 6 gal. less than the RSM and it is also brand new and i'm not sure i want to be one of the guinea pigs!! $630 seems to be the average price for tank and stand. Not wanting to be a guinea pig makes me look at previous jbj nanos and it seems like they all require upgrades such as pumps for flow and lighting (wont be necessary with the HQI I believe) but i'm sure the skimmer is not the greatest. Also with metal halide there is the issue of heat, will probably have to get a chiller wich will cost around $300.

I would like to have an bta or carpet anenome and i am pretty sure the lighting in the RSM would not be sufficient enough. I would also like to keep a clam too.

Both systems seem to be pretty well thought out for the money i'm just torn between the two....

Please tell me what you all think RSM owners and soon to be or current JBJ 150 HQI owners!! I'm sure i have left out some details, pros and cons so fill in the blanks i left. Give me everything you know to help me make the best decision. Thanks all for your input.
Old 07/10/2007, 07:49 PM
reef girl

I recently saw one of the JBJ 150 HQI's and I did not care for it, the closed top made it have a massive heat issue in my opinion, had small vent holes on the top that had massive heat coming out of them with 2 small fans, I was not at all impressed with it due to this issue

This hobby isn't just for the boys..

Its all fun and games until someone gets salt water in their eyes!
Old 07/10/2007, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

Hi Mike,

I just received my JBJ 28G 150 HQI and posted pics of it here:

Pics

And also did a heat test and posted the results here:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1158077

The lid actually has 4 fans, and isn't as hot as one might think, though you might still need a chiller depending upon your ambient room temperature. I personally bought a chiller, and it comes on about once an hour for 5 to 10 minutes to keep the temp at 78.

The skimmer could be better, and I am looking for alternatives.

If you have any more questions ask away.

Michael
Old 07/10/2007, 08:52 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Re: Please help me pic a nano (RSM or JBJ 28gal. 150 HQI)?!?

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeL152123
... I do question the lighting 2X55 watt (T5??) i have heard that it is not actual t5 lighting and is actually power compact?

I would like to have an bta or carpet anenome and i am pretty sure the lighting in the RSM would not be sufficient enough. I would also like to keep a clam too.
Why wouldn't the lighting be sufficient? I haven't run into any complaints about the lighting at all...

I wouldn't put a carpet anemone in a small tank like any of the ones you mentioned...too small for it to grow properly...

BTW...my skimmer isn't loud and seems to be working fine...
Old 07/10/2007, 08:55 PM
reef girl

I wouldn't suggest a carpet in either of those tanks due to the size they get

This hobby isn't just for the boys..

Its all fun and games until someone gets salt water in their eyes!
Old 07/10/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

according to mike1962 temp test it looks like a chiller will be required right away as i asuumed with the jbj.... i also figured a carpet anenome would get to be a little too big. what is everyones thoughts on a bta though? and would i be able to keep one with the RSM's stock lighting? as of right now i am leaning towards the rsm. I have read a lot of possitive things about it and that extra 6 gallons is tempting also, the tank looks a lot bigger than the JBJ..... i am going to wait though untill a few more people get the JBJ so i can see their thoughts on it. I'm also going to take a trip to my local LFS tomorrow and see what they've got there.

Rue- do you run a chiller and where did you get your RSM from?

Mike1962- Please keep me updated on your tank, I am very interested in how it goes.

I hope more people read these and give me their 2 cents on the subject...... keep the posts comming!!
Old 07/11/2007, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

If you can afford it RSM. Or the Biocube. I have both.
Old 07/11/2007, 10:07 AM
Genuine reef addict

I've seen quite a few pics of the RSM with BTAs. The tank is still relatively new so long term BTA issues no one can say yet. I think the RSMs lighting is underrated by most people - I have an SPS frag on top of my rock that is doing great and growing. The supplied skimmers seem to be the main issue with most of these nanos, as well as heat from the MH lights on the JBJ, or the RSM with the nanocustoms light upgrade - requiring a chiller. I just run with the stock RSM, and after installing an additional RSM fan in the available empty port in the back of the hood I have no heat problems. A lot of RSM owners have put a Koralia on the right side for additional flow (both RSM powerheads are on the left but the flow direction is adjustable), but although I put a Koralia in mine too, I'm not sure if it was really needed. I like the look of the RSM a lot better - it has a wider front and doesn't look like the cubes. And the RSM stand seems much more sturdy and better looking than the standard cube stands. My RSM skimmer isn't that loud either so I can't complain on that. All of these nanos have issues, the RSM included, but I'd still go with my RSM if I had it to do over again.

BTW, if you go RSM be sure you're getting the latest model. Most online suppliers have the unit shipped direct from RSM (Aquatechnology) in Texas, and it will have the improvements on it. If you get it from an LFS there's a chance you'll get an old model, without the mods in place.

Last edited by Reefmack; 07/11/2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07/11/2007, 11:05 AM
Professional Obfuscator

I ordered my RSM through my local reef store...I have limited shopping where I live...

No chiller...although it's not a pretty location...I have mine set up downstairs in the basement because our bungalow heats up too much during the summer...
Old 07/11/2007, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

well it's looking like the RSM is the way i'm going to go. Everyone who owns one seems to love it. I just went to a local petco today just to look around (by the way i think they have to give up on saltwater livestock......allways depressing seeing all the sick fish in there) but they were selling two of their 90 gal. display tanks with overflow, hood, and stand for $500....very tempting but i did not have the cash and i think it will be a lot cheaper to run a RSM. I would have had to buy lighting for the 90 plus a sump..... I went to another local LFS today to see if they had either the RSM or JBJ 150 HQI. The owner wasnt there ( he really knows his stuff too) but the people working there weren't expecting to ever get the JBJ. They said they dont think it is so different from the 24 gal moddel and it is just too much... I don't really agree with that but what ever. They did have one RSM out back and when i heard the price i almost just walked out. $700 just for the tank alone. I could get both the tank and stand online for $30 less than that. They do how ever have a great live stock selection. They have two great coral tanks and everything always looks pretty healthy, a bit more expensive than online but you know what your getting there. anyways sorry for going off like this but i could not believe that they were trying to sell the RSM for $700!!
Old 07/11/2007, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

I think i posted the same response to someone else who was loooking at th RSM.....Alot of people that have gotton them have had problems with them, such as timers and other small things that are a pain in the arse.

that being said, the best part of having a tank is setting it up, finding the equipment you need, researching equipment....and so on. I also think for 700$ you can take an AGA 29 or 30 and do alot better, you could buy a MH T-5 Retro fit kit, Stand, SUMP aka 20L tank and install baffles, powerheads, and so on. For about 700 bucks.

I think you miss out on the fun when you buy an all in one setup.
Old 07/11/2007, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking about that but i love the look of the RSM and how compact it is..... like i said i was tempted with the 90 gal. i saw for sale cause it was pretty cheap but the lighting for it would be too expensive i think.....
Old 07/11/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Dont setup a 90, set up a 29 AGA.

Take a look on the next page on the thread that i started about a new 29 that i was going to set up soon......those are my exact plans, with awesome overkill equip, and i calculated it would cost me 1200 for EVERYTHING..... so if you went down in quality on some equip, you could do it for 700 easily.

HTH
Rob
Old 07/11/2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

I'm going to go with the RSM i think. I know that a 29 aga will end up costing me more and i think the RSM is exactly what i'm looking for. Any other opinions and recomendations are still welcome though. And still RSM and JBJ owners keep on comming with the input. thanx all.
Old 07/11/2007, 10:08 PM
Excuse My French...

When I saw the JBJ stands at the LFS, I instantly knew that I had to find something else...

Nothing is perfect and without my stupid timer issue (yeah, that's me), I would be very happy so far... (All details here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1153840)
Old 07/11/2007, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

Many people don't have the jbj 28 hqi so you will not find as many people saying that like it as the RSM. I bought the jbj 28hqi and besides having to get a chiller I think the unit is great. The stand does suck but oh well at least it doesn't look like crap and with 150W MH I can keep anything without having to worry about whether I can handle certain corals.

Paul

P.S. The skimmer is nothing to brag about so I think I will buy a HOT remora skimmer.
Old 07/11/2007, 11:24 PM
Enjoying Life

The 28g HQI is an all new thing. Personally if you want an all in one and those are your your two options, go with the RSM.

JBJ will get a bunch of customer responses and will work the bugs and problems out of their product. I would give them some time to work with their customers and the 28g HQI so they can get it as best they can.

If you are looking for something in the near future, go with the RSM for sure.
Old 07/12/2007, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

i like my new finnex 30 gal glass
you can get it with t-5 4 lamps ho or 150w mh with 2 t-5 or 250wmh with 2 t-5 lights and they have moon lights also when you turn off your lights they come on .
it has a 13w pc light for the fuge also .
Old 07/12/2007, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

I suggest CADlights.....

I like the hood features on other AIO's, but not too crazy about the tight rear compartments and the flimsy skimmers.

I guess Cadlights is more of a bastard stepchild than an AIO, but I enjoy the fact that there's an overflow area where I can store 15lbs of LR rubble, fuge area, and a sump area where I keep my tunze nano (which is the best skimmer I've ever used btw). There's more than enough room to hide heaters, probes, chaeto, and whatever else you need.

Not too sure how big the display area is, but I'd have to say about 26-27gallons seems right.

I'll try to do a full review post of it later on since not too many people know about it.
Old 07/12/2007, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

I do really like the new 34 gal. from CAD lights but i don't like the open top..... I want to get a goby and they are known to jump from time to time when they get scared. It does look like a great set up though. I'll have to think about it, ahhhh dam! The JBJ HQI is not in the running anymore, to new and untested.

The CAD lights tank does come with MH and t5 lighting as well as moon lights. Has a fuge w/light. Will have to buy a skimmer for it and i want to get UV. It costs $550 without a stand. I suppose i could put it on my desk. It will also require a chiller with the MH lighting.

The RSM just looks so dam good though. The lighting could be better but i have heard that people are having pretty much an easy time keeping a lot of different corals with it. Comes with a skimmer. Will need a chiller most likely $650 for tank and stand. It is closed top too.

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!?!
Old 07/12/2007, 02:29 PM
Genuine reef addict

I certainly don't want to get the blame for telling you what to do! I'm an RSM owner & despite some problems with it I still like too many things about it versus the other nanos to be regretting getting one. I'm happy with mine. The Cadlights tank did look interesting though, but keep in mind that there will be shortcomings with all of the nanos. I've already seen complaints on a crappy skimmer with the new JBJ (can be said by some of us with the RSM too). Here's a loooooong thread that I started not that long ago to try to get RSM owners together to discuss pros & cons of the RSM, possible mods, as well as share experiences with it. If you haven't been reading it there's a wealth of information now in it on the RSM - good and bad. It's a long read but worth your time to read it before making a choice.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

Good luck on the decision!
Old 07/12/2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

I was worried about the open top as well (having one VERY annoyingly curious cat that's gone fishing in my previous tanks) but no problems so far. The Main canopy covers about 80% of the display's top and it's supposed to come with a tempered glass cover now that you can use. (I still haven't recieved mine as they are still in production, but might want to check with them).

Better make sure your desk can support the extra weight. The tank itself is pretty heavy as it uses thicker than normal glass.

You really don't need a UV for a reef tank. I don't know any reefer that uses one, but CAD has a UV add on if you really want.

I think my tank looks Waaay better than the RSM..or the M for that matter.
Old 07/12/2007, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

Thanks reefmack, i have been reading your thread for RSM owners, i am just so torn between wich tank to go with. Both tanks have so many good things....... As for the UV i just want to run one as a fail safe, just to make me feel a little better and keep the water extra clear haha. IDK hopefully people keep posting here and when the time comes that i am ready to buy ( 1-2 months) i will make the best decision.
Old 07/12/2007, 05:08 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Quote:
Originally posted by RobSW1

...that being said, the best part of having a tank is setting it up, finding the equipment you need, researching equipment....and so on. I also think for 700$ you can take an AGA 29 or 30 and do alot better, you could buy a MH T-5 Retro fit kit, Stand, SUMP aka 20L tank and install baffles, powerheads, and so on. For about 700 bucks.

I think you miss out on the fun when you buy an all in one setup.
That's all well and good when you know HOW and LIKE to fiddle...if you don't, and are more about the reef itself than the mechanics of setting up an artificial environment...I'd say the Plug-n-play systems are a much better, and cheaper option.

I've also priced it out.
Old 07/12/2007, 05:14 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeL152123
Thanks reefmack, i have been reading your thread for RSM owners, i am just so torn between wich tank to go with. Both tanks have so many good things....... As for the UV i just want to run one as a fail safe, just to make me feel a little better and keep the water extra clear haha. IDK hopefully people keep posting here and when the time comes that i am ready to buy ( 1-2 months) i will make the best decision.
Should you go with the RSM...despite any issues it may have (and for certain, any DIY system will also have issues)...might I suggest that you DO NOT fiddle with it until the tank has cycled (outside of what's normal). After reading all the posts I've noticed that very few people left well enough alone for long enough. Many folk complaining about the skimmer not working, had nothing in the tank to skim for example.