Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/07/2007, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

5 year Maintenance??

I have a 5 year old mixed reef tank, all params are good but things just don't "look" as good as they have in the past. The SPS colors are not as vibrant, the softies seen to have faded a bit and the general overall looks is not what it once was. Is there a 5 year routine that one does to keep things looking healthy? Replace the sand bed, massive water change??? The lights are 6 months old and will be replaced at the end of summer. Refugium mud could be replaced. Something is not right!

Thanks,
Old 07/07/2007, 07:48 AM
Premium Member

Any pics?
Old 07/07/2007, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

I wish, lost my camera!
Old 07/07/2007, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

Good question!

Just read post on other forum I frequent about a tank crash at 5 years...poster was not specific on any reasons...actually appeared quite clueless

tank crash

Am wondering if there are things we should all be looking at as our tanks reach the 5 year mark?
Old 07/08/2007, 12:17 AM
Unregistered Member

Do you have a DSB?

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 07/08/2007, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

Refugium Mud should be replaced for sure. Most last less then two years, and need yearly supplementation.

Sandbeds can go bed depending on depth, surface area and feeding.

Other then that, no real maintence really needed at any year mark that I've noticed. JME
HIS OPINIONS COURAGEOUSLY AND HONESTLY
Old 07/08/2007, 06:51 AM
Registered Member

Yes I do have a DSB in both the main tank and the Fuge. I was thinking about siphoning out the sand and mud and replacing both. PITA but maybe worth the trouble. Thoughts?
Old 07/08/2007, 08:48 AM

How much water do you change per month?

What is your water testing at?

Do you blow open the holes of the Live rock?

Flow rate per hour in Display?

What type of animals are you keeping, How close to each other?

What have you got to lose?
Old 07/08/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

total water volume is about 600 gallons, give or take, I change about 50 gallons a month with tropic marin. I have not blown open the live rock in a while, 6 months or so but I have in the past. Flow is a Iwaki 100 and a Dolphin on a closed loop with eductors. Seems to be plenty of flow. I am keeping the usual as far as fish, angels, tangs, gobies a few anthias but certainly not overstocked. and the usual assortment of acros, mushrooms, GSP, (hate em) buttons...

Water Params are all in order. PO4, Nitrate= 0, Alk= 9, CA= 460, PH=8.2

any thoughts?
Old 07/08/2007, 04:35 PM

Do you target feed corals? I use http://reefnutrition.com/phytofeast/indexpfl.htm and think it helps.

lol, I just traded a large rock of GSP.

What have you got to lose?
Old 07/08/2007, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

Those damn GSP's! If anyone wants some or rocks full of green mushrooms, come on over!
Old 07/08/2007, 06:05 PM
Premium Member

I remember reading an article - maybe by Anthony Calfo? - about 'simulating' a big storm periodically, and how it's good for your tank to get massively messed up every now and again. I'm not suggesting you do this, but maybe doing some of the suggested sand/mud swaps, blowing off the rocks and rearranging a few of them and giving it a few days to settle in could help!
Old 07/08/2007, 07:31 PM
Premium Member

I read something similar. Stated that in the wild there is no pattern to the waves, and while we attempt to mimic that, we don't do a truly good job. The article I read stated that "couple of times a year" to take a power head and just move it around the tank for a few minutes a day for a week. That different current will help blow lose anything that is getting caught up. I have done this and haven't had any problems as of yet. Never fails though when the power head is on the front side of the tank is when all the company want to come by.
Old 07/09/2007, 04:05 PM
I am a super nose picker

Could be your sand has exausted itself.You should change out the sand in the fuge.I have had my lfs owner crash his tank after the 5 year mark.His crashed after 6 years,He had a dsb and a sump.I would try to change half the sand in the fuge and then wait 3 months and change the other half.This is why some people go BB.I think you can buy pods to try and either re seed the tank or at least help with the bioload (once you change the sand)You can try to change some of the sand in the main tank once everything has settled.Very strange because you have no nitrates and your tank is very big.I used the biosediment sand in my fuge and kent reccomends you change it every 2 years.