Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/04/2007, 04:07 PM
Premium Member

Running carbon 24/7

Hello, the Zeovit system recommends running carbon 24/7. Most carbons I've come across and advice has always been to run a few days a month. Is anyone running it 24/7 ?. What kind of issues, successes have you had?. I do not run Zeovit.

thanks,
Albert
Old 07/04/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

I've always run carbon 24/7. Never had any problems. My last tanks were predominately sps corals deep sand beds. Right now my current tank is 60 gallon, BB T5-VHO combination run with an ASM G2 and I have about a 20X turnover rate using several mag drive pumps and rio powerheads. I am using about 6 cups of carbon and am replacing it biweekly to monthly. I know it sounds crazy but I am keeping a few tubaustrea and other corals along with way too many fish and I like a very clean looking tank. How often and how you long you use it is really a matter of personal preference and the instructions are merely just guidelines. Carbon can only absorb/adsorb (yes there is a difference) so much before it is exhausted.
Old 07/04/2007, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

James, are you running it passively in your sump or is it in a reactor?.

Albert
Old 07/04/2007, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

I have used it both ways but currently I am just using it passively. I have used reactors before but I wouldn't buy one again.
Old 07/05/2007, 06:41 AM
Premium Member

I run a reactor with carbon and phosban used together. I seperate the 2 with foam pads. I don't measure for anything that would say it's doing anything for since my phospate shows zero on my test kit.
Old 07/06/2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

i run lots of purigen 24/7, which does the same things as carbon. Although I heard that keeping up with water changes is important because some important trace elements in the water can be removed while running chemical media. I'm not 100% sure though.
Old 07/07/2007, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Running carbon allows better liight penetration as well. Just make sure you replace the carbon regularly. It releases once it has reached maximum absortion also it doesn't just stop absorbing.

They key is to replace it before that happens.
Old 07/07/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

I have always run carbon 24/7 for years. Change or remove the carbon after 5-10 days. Element removal is really a non-issue, but I do 10% water changes weekly regardless of carbon use. There are many studies on what carbon removes, if you search online.
Old 07/08/2007, 01:02 PM
kArBoN aDdIkT

Carbon 24/7 here as well, in a reactor, changed weekly. Does wonders for water clarity, especially if you have a fuge running
Old 07/08/2007, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

what kinda carbon are u using like chemipure?