Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/26/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Green Florida Rics Fading

my green florida rics have faded into a light almost translucent green. they are all at the bottom of my 30 gallon tank with 130 watts current orbit pc lamps. anyone have this issue? any recommendations to bring the colors back? thanks!
Old 06/26/2007, 09:33 PM
Geek

Well with PC lights.. corals who come from a store or the wild with higher light can pull some color hjjinx on you but if they are fading from stress it could be a few different factors

How old are your bulbs? How are their flow? tank temp, any swings in this blistering summer? pH? ANything nearby annoying them?

also how long have you had the shrooms?
Old 06/26/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

thanks for your response. the lights have been used for about 9 months. these were wild caught and flow is low to medium. no temp swings since i live in san francisco. ph is testing normal and i do 10-15% water changes every 2 weeks. i have hermit crabs that occasionally walk over them. i have other green or purple/bluish rics that are not faded and all rics are located on the sandbed. all rics have been in my tank for about 3-4 months and i have about 15 of them. i've seen another local reefer with the same problem, but no solution. best, g
Old 06/27/2007, 01:54 AM
Moved On

I have a light green/blue colored wild cought florida ric bleaching on me, i have tried eggcrate over it but it never got better so im just going to let it in there bleached and see what happens. I use a MH light so it gets alot of light and i cant move it becuase i glued it in there some time ago. Its been bleaching for about 3 weeks now. it fell behind the rocks for a bit and i had to use a turkey baster to extract it and i think i shocked it going from shade to pure light, but it was only behind the rocks a few days.

Come to think of it i got glue on the shrooms flesh when i anchored it down so that may be playing a role, i doubt it tho because it looked great for a week or two after i glued it. Keep us updated.
Old 06/27/2007, 09:37 AM
Geek

Well my guess is its a random finicky shroom since its th eonly one doing it but if you see any degredation it'll be getting close to that time where you need to get new bulbs.. My PCs lasted about 11 months I think- I knew I had to change them because i had some mushies start to shrink- perked right back up when i put the new bulbs in

very odd not sure what to tell ya
Old 06/27/2007, 05:06 PM
Unregistered Member

aquariuss77-super glue will burn the skin of the ricordia and it can take a while for it show stress.
Old 06/27/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

I've come to realize that they are sensitive to cyano. But yes, I have had polyps randomly do that. I've never really had any that recovered from being bleached though... they stay that way and shrink and shrink until there's nothing left in my case .. takes many months too.