Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Wisconsin - Fox Valley Reefers Club (FVRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/21/2007, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

flatworms

i found flatworms today, what can i do to get rid of these
thanks todd
Old 06/21/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

velvet nudibranchs eat solely flat worms
Old 06/21/2007, 08:59 PM
hookt on fonix

I have heard that flatworm exit made by Salifert works good for some people but not for all. I do think that it will kill off any pod population you have in the tank though. You also have to follow the directions on carbon use, water changes and skimmer or you can lose corals.

The natural alternative would be a Blue Velvet Nudi but they have their issues also (getting sucked into pumps, etc.)

Melevs reef.com has a page where he sucked them out with a rigid airline attached to a flexible airline and used it like a siphon hose to suck them out. He put a filter bag into his sump and that's where the outlet of the siphon ran to, collecting the flatworms but letting the water back into his system.

I have also read that if they have no food source they will die out on their own but don't know if that is true.

Hope this helps you out.
P.S. whatever you do get busy quick to remove them because they multiply like crazy.
Old 06/21/2007, 09:22 PM
Propagator Extraordinaire

Really depends on the type of flatworms. If they're the regular reddish-brown ones that grow in the tank, best thing to do is starve them out, as Ron said. In most cases, it's a build-up of detritus that contributes to their population explosion. I've had tanks where they're everywhere, and I had a few in the current tank but they've basically disappeared. If there's no food, there's no flatworms.
Old 06/21/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

nuke'em before you get more than one...

or live with em... and then you'll have 10,000

JK
Old 06/21/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

I have a current (small) outbreak and went through it once before. Sometimes they will just starve and go away. Flatworm exit is a great product, but pricey. It targets just the flatworms worms and my pod population seemed unaffected. Nothing showed signs of damage. I did remove a featherduster before treating just to be on the safe side.

If you want to be conservative, targeted siphoning with an airline
does work, but is slow and only semi-effective.

Some sixline wrasse will go crazy for them as well. Some ignore them completely.

Why did I pick such a cryptic usename? Jeremy works just fine.
Old 06/21/2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

I used flatworm exit and a series of fw dips a few months back and it seemed to wipe them out completely. I now have a 6line patrolling the tank just in case. If you do use the flatworm exit be prepared with carbon and water changes as the dead flatworms are more dangerous to your tank than the live ones. If you are going the rout of flatworm exit send me a pm and I'll give you the lowdown on what worked for my tank.
Old 06/21/2007, 10:30 PM
hookt on fonix

Todd,
Sent you a PM.
Old 06/22/2007, 11:14 PM
Premium Member

I'm hoping that I get a few flat worms so that I can get a nudibranch or two. I think they are cool looking.

I have seen them in other folk's tank and the flat worms are so small that you can hardly see them.

What danger is there in having flat worms?
Old 06/22/2007, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Really depends on the type of flatworms. If they're the regular reddish-brown ones that grow in the tank, best thing to do is starve them out, as Ron said. In most cases, it's a build-up of detritus that contributes to their population explosion. I've had tanks where they're everywhere, and I had a few in the current tank but they've basically disappeared. If there's no food, there's no flatworms
With this type this is dead on. They will go away once the food is gone.

Lisa
Old 06/23/2007, 09:27 AM
Ron Paul 2008

flatworm Exit by Salifert worked for me.

click the little red house and check out my flash based photography gallery!
Old 06/23/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

i had flatworms years ago in one of my tanks and i mean thousands of them. i tried the nudibranch, he ate them like crazy but only lasted 5 days and never saw him again. i used some kind of medication, i think it was meant for fresh water, cant remember, but it killed everyone, and didnt hurt my corals
ill try flatworm exit since i dont have very many right now