Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/19/2007, 06:53 AM
Genuine reef addict

Red Sea Max Owners Club

I'm setting up this thread as a place for anyone owning (or considering) a Red Sea Max tank to post questions, concerns, and to share any tank modifications. Or, just to show us what you've done with your RSM tank in setting it up with LR, fish & critters. It's not really limited to RSM owners so everyone should feel free to post in this thread as a lot of the issues with this tank may be related to all tanks and equipment.

I've had my RSM for close to 3 months and overall I'm happy with it, except for the skimmer performance. Skimmer performance on my tank is fairly poor, and seems to be an issue with most RSM owners. In addition, there are tanks out there that are earlier models, that don't have some of the upgrades that have been made on the newer tanks now being sent out by RSM.

Specifications on the tank from RSM:
Total system volume 130 liters (34 gallons)
Aquarium volume 110 liters (29 gallons)
Filter volume 20 liters (5 gallons)
Aquarium length 610 mm (24")
Aquarium width 500 mm (19.7")
Aquarium height 500 mm (19.7")
Total height 612 mm (24.1")
Glass thickness 8 mm (5/16")
5 outlet power center
Course mechanical media
Fine mechanical media
Skimmer volume 3.8 liters (1 gallon)
Skimmer pump 1,200 lph (320 gph)
Collection cup volume 1.5 liters (0.4 gallon)
Circulation pumps 2 x 550 lph (2 x 145 gph)
Ceramic bio-media 2 liters (0.5 gallon)
Activated carbon 200 g (7 oz)
Fan cooled hood
Lighting - 10,000K 55W
Lighting – Actinic 55W
Electronic ballast
LED moonlights
24 hour programmable timer
Thermostat heater 150W

In my case, the only modifications/additions I've made are to add an additional cooling fan to the back of the hood. The fan was supplied by RSM for $7 + shipping, and needs an additional power adapter from Radio Shack or Lowes, with a minimum of 200ma, and it's best to get one with a variable voltage from 1.5 or 3V up to 12V to allow changing the fan speed.

Other than changes to the filter system to eliminate microbubbles, and replacing the bio-media and carbon with Live rock rubble and Chemi-Pure, the only other change was to add a Koralia 1 to the right side, to boost circulation from that side and increase flow in the tank to over 20 times the tank volume. This is a common addition by most RSM owners.

The additional fan and the Koralia powerhead add 2 more power cords to the "one cord" approach of the RSM. Some owners have managed to tie in the additional fan to the existing fan supply in the hood, eliminating one extra power cord.

There is also a new hood upgrade out from nanocustoms, with MH lighting. Too expensive for me at this time, and it would require getting a chiller also.

I did a lot of searching for the best price on the RSM, and found that with most of the online suppliers it appears that they take the order, but the tank is actually shipped direct from RSM in Texas, and should therefore include the latest upgrades in the skimmer and powerhead pumps, and a quieter hood fan. But be cautious with buying from a local lfs - they may still have old models in stock to which some upgrades, such as the newer powerhead pumps, will not fit. One new RSM owner has received an older model, and even though RSM sent him the new powerhead pumps free of charge, they won't fit the holes drilled in the back of the newer models. RSM support is typically great, but this gentleman is unhappy with his recently purchased older model and isn't getting the support he deserves from RSM to resolve some issues. He's working through the lfs where he purchased the tank to see if he can get things resolved.

I hope that's enough background to get the "Club" started. Here's a fairly recent picture of where I'm at with my RSM (before I added the Koralia to the right side):

Good luck with your RSMs!
Old 06/19/2007, 09:08 AM
Premium Member

RSM hater #1 signing in for duty.

Okay, hater is too strong a word, but 'unsatisfied customer' fits pretty well.
Old 06/19/2007, 09:16 AM
Genuine reef addict

Hah! I was hoping you'd show up WD! There's room in here for a lot of criticism too!
Old 06/19/2007, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

How do you know if you buy the version 2 (with the correction...) ?
Old 06/19/2007, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Your tank looks great to me. But hey im a BC 29 owner myself
Old 06/19/2007, 10:23 AM
Genuine reef addict

If ordering online ask where the tank ships from - if it's shipped from Red Sea you should get a tank with the upgrades in place. I'm not sure how to determine this if buying from a local lfs - ask when it was received by them, or ask them to open the box - if it has the powerhead pumps packed in the box, with the screw on powerheads, it's one of the new models. If it has the powerheads that you slide on the pump fittings (friction fit) it's an older model.

Red Sea doesn't sell the tank directly - only through online suppliers & lfs. It seemed to me that most online suppliers just take the order & have Red Sea ship it. Give the online supplier a call & ask where it's shipped from. I got mine from superfishstore.com (best price I could find) but it was shipped direct from Red Sea.
Old 06/19/2007, 10:29 AM
Genuine reef addict

Quote:
Originally posted by frogguy1
Your tank looks great to me. But hey im a BC 29 owner myself
Thanks. BC 29 owners are welcome too!
Old 06/19/2007, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

Tagging along. New Job mean's new Nano for the desk. I was seriously considering a RSM but will see where this thread goes.
Old 06/19/2007, 11:39 AM
Zoa Fanatic

RSM's are too damn expensive. There are equally good all-in-ones for less.
Old 06/19/2007, 12:00 PM
Genuine reef addict

Quote:
Originally posted by zma21
RSM's are too damn expensive. There are equally good all-in-ones for less.
There probably are, but none of the all-in-ones are perfect. They all seem to be lacking in one area or another.
Old 06/19/2007, 01:41 PM
Premium Member

Count me in. Mine's been up for about 3 months and is set up as a clam tank. I modded the skimmer (impeller mod) and am pulling a lot more air through it. I only did it a couple of days ago but it looks to have made a difference. Resolved the microbubbles by removing all of the prefilters and allowing the skimmer to "break in". Upgraded to the 150w MH from nanocustoms about 3 weeks ago (Phoenix 14,000K). It looks great. The clams love it. The temp is up 2 degrees and I do run a chiller (AquaEuro 1/15hp). It is undersized now but was fine with the stock lighting (ran at 78). I have to convince my wife to let me upgrade. The stock cooling fans suck and could easily be replaced with quieter fans (I like and prefer SilenX). I am still trying to find a fuge to put in the stand. Currently stocked with some zoes, a few gorgonians, 6 clams (1 seven inch squamosa), a rainsford goby, a male carpenters flasher wrasse, 2 blue stripe pipe fish and a small clean-up crew. Waiting on a possum wrasse to complete the fish list. I like it and it looks great in my family room.
Old 06/19/2007, 02:07 PM
Genuine reef addict

Hi lpsluver! sounds great what you've done to the RSM! By any chance did you take any pics of the impeller mod? Did you do a mesh mod or ? I'd really like to attack that impeller and get the skimmer working better.

Are you running no mechanical filtration now? If you aren't do you have any problems with particles being recirculated through the water column? I still have an inch of the sponge in there, and put in a white pad when I mess up the tank, but I'd like to run without either if possible.
Old 06/19/2007, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

No pictures, sorry. I did a mesh mod with the scrubby material form the Lowes grill scrubber that's been discussed in numerous threads. I am not running any mechanical filtration and do not a have a particulate problem. I guess I rely on the skimmer to remove the munge that the filters would have removes. The next thing to do is to remove the original carbon bag and replace it. Should have done that a while ago. I
Old 06/19/2007, 02:34 PM
Genuine reef addict

Thanks lpsluver. I think I'll remove what's left of the mechanical filtration and see what happens - it's just another nitrate factory anyway. The improved flow to the skimmer might accomplish the same thing as the mechanical media ( I hope). I need to look at my impeller again as it seems there may be 2 types of those out there also. I could swear mine looked like the fan blade type, but I may be wrong. Looks like a weekend project coming up!
Old 06/19/2007, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

im thinking of buying a rsm so this is a great thread for me i love seeing pictures of rsm,im not sure if its just camaras being differant but the stock lighting does look very blue on some and more white on others , reefmack your looks great [set-up] but i have seen them [bluer] if you know what i mean,actinics do go off quicker than white but should,nt fade in 3 months moe pictures please
Old 06/19/2007, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
Thanks lpsluver. I think I'll remove what's left of the mechanical filtration and see what happens - it's just another nitrate factory anyway. The improved flow to the skimmer might accomplish the same thing as the mechanical media ( I hope). I need to look at my impeller again as it seems there may be 2 types of those out there also. I could swear mine looked like the fan blade type, but I may be wrong. Looks like a weekend project coming up!
It did help improve the flow. My impeller was kind of a needle wheel (kind of weird looking) but definitely not the fan blade type. I clipped off a lot of the "nubbins" to make the mesh work. Use the smallest wire ties you can find or you will have some rubbing problems (and an aweful noise).
Old 06/19/2007, 02:47 PM
Genuine reef addict

I take most of my pics with no flash, and it is a bit bluer that way, due to the the RSM lights. With the flash it looks different. In reality the way the tank really looks is in between the two, but much closer to the pics with no flash.
Old 06/19/2007, 05:43 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Your tank looks mah-vellous!!! Thanks for posting the pic and starting the thread...

Mine is waiting to be picked up...if I'm lucky I'll have it unpacked tonight...

*nervousgigle*
Old 06/19/2007, 06:18 PM
Genuine reef addict

Hi Rue, I thought you'd show up here. If you got the cabinet that may be all you get together tonight. Good luck & keep us posted. on how you do.

Bolton Reefer - on the RSM the 10,000k and actinics are on at the same time - no way to just run one separately. That's probably why the pics aren't as blue as some you see.

Pepbill - check all the options before you decide. Congrats on the new job.

lpsluver - Just added some top off, cleaned the deposits out of the neck & upper skimmer chamber, and removed the last of the mechanical filtration in that first skimmer chamber. I think it improved the flow (expected) as the water level in the main tank dropped a bit. Fiddled with the air flow trying to get the most foaming. Too soon to tell if it improved anything but I should know by morning. Ran out of ambition after that & didn't feel like pulling the skimmer pump tonight to check the impeller type.
Old 06/19/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

Microbubbles

Great to have our own RSM thread!

I know several people have had issues with microbubbles. I just adjusted my water level because it was too high for effective surface skimming. Since then, my powerheads have been pumping a ton of bubbles into the tank. I know some people have cut down the black sponge. Mine is 4'"(I think). Any suggestions?

Another problem I had was temperature. Mine was 83-84 F. I installed the JBJ Mini-Artica yesterday and I am now stable at 79.5 F. I highly recommend this chiller if any of you have the same temperature issue (so far at least).
Old 06/19/2007, 07:08 PM
Professional Obfuscator

...maybe I'll put hubby on cabinet detail...

...while I do water changes on my other tanks...heh heh...
Old 06/19/2007, 07:18 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Reefmack...I'm looking at your livestock...

I also want clowns and PJ Cardinals...

Do you have any others in there? What's the max you figure it can hold...I was expecting to house 5-6 fish (all little ones)...but it was suggested I do no more than 3...
Old 06/19/2007, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

I have a pair of maroon clowns, 2 blue chromis, a six-line wrasse, and a blue spot puffer (he does not bother the corals, but I did learn that he eats cleaner shrimp)
Old 06/19/2007, 08:48 PM
Genuine reef addict

Welcome e55MD! Good to see another RSM owner show up. I myself had to cut the sponge down to 2 inches to see a difference. Tonight I pulled everything out to try to improve the skimmer output. I pretty much got rid of the microbbubles but still get a few, even with it all removed now, but it's nothing like it was at the beginning. Is your tank new or an older one? If the skimmer pump doesn't have the upgraded blue plastic connector on it, RSM will send an upgrade free if you call them. That helped with some of the bubbles with the original models. The micro bubble problem is related to the skimmer (which a lot of us are trying to improve). Cutting back further on the sponge & removing or cleaning the white pad every other day (if you still have it in) helps. Maybe someone else in here can give you some additional ideas. Good that the puffer leaves your corals alone!

Rue - LOL on getting the hubby on cabinet detail. I'm probably close to, or already at being overstocked, but I'd still like to add one more fish. I have the two young Ocellaris clowns, 2 young pajama cardinals, a diadema dottyback (pretty yellow with a pink head-top and back), and a lawnmower blenny. I'm really wondering what last fish to get because the dottyback can be aggressive. But he doesn't bother the other fish I have at all. The only aggression I see is between my 2 cardinals and not very often. I'd like to add a six-line but worry about compatability with my dottyback. I'd like a coral beauty, but worry about that one eating my corals.
Old 06/19/2007, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Reefmack, thanks for your input. The strange thing is my tank has been running for a week and the bubble problem only started tonight. Where exactly would I find the upgraded blue plastic connector if I had one? I already tried cleaning the white pad.

One other problem I have is that the lights turn off even when the timer is on. I tap the white platic timer wheel and they come back on. Must be a bad connection in there and I am not sure if I can fix it. I might try calling customer support about it tomorrow.

Hopefully, these are all just minor annoyances. The problem with these all-in-one tanks is that you cannot switch out faulty or poorly designed components.

On a exciting note, I ordered some really nice(and very expensive) zooanthids from Vivid Aquariums. Hopefully I will have them by the end of the week.