Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/31/2007, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

250w MH on a 20H?

So here's the deal, I am currently upgrading my 10g to a 20H and I have a bit of a lighting dilemma. I am currently running a 70w MH retro over my 10 and I also have a 250w aquamedic oceanlight sitting around for the 33g oceaning cube that I definitely can't start up until I finish school next June.

Its important to note that this tank gets moved a lot to and from school so more sensitive corals are probably not a realistic option even if i would love to throw the 250w guy on there and fill the tank with acros.

THE QUESTION:
Can I use the 250w light on a 20H without frying my shrooms, other softies and blastos or would they be as good as dead?
If I were to use it could i just have it higher off the tank?
Old 05/31/2007, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

I run a 250w 20k XM hqi on my 10.

Old 06/01/2007, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

Nice tank, I do really want to use the 250w (it has a new bulb and i would need to buy a new 70w bulb and probably a couple pcs to supliment it).

I looks like you have mostly softies, maybe i should just give it a shot and try to acclimate my corals slowly with a shorter photoperiod and maybe i will try using the slow removal of screen layers above the tank too....

Thanks for your help, anyone else?
Old 06/01/2007, 11:49 AM
w3rd

Quote:
Originally posted by scaast
I run a 250w 20k XM hqi on my 10.

do you have any problems at all with heat issues? i had told my lfs that i was thinking of setting up this 250w hqi 20k fixture on my 28, but he laughed and said it would fry everything :|
Old 06/01/2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

I think that as long as you light is above the water at a decent height and not in an enclosed hood you would have been fine.
Old 06/01/2007, 03:44 PM
w3rd

Quote:
Originally posted by bucknellreefer
I think that as long as you light is above the water at a decent height and not in an enclosed hood you would have been fine.
how high off the tank is your lighting?
Old 06/01/2007, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

I have a 250w over my 29g. it is about 10-12 inches up and havent had any heat issues yet.
Old 06/01/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

OOPS... Double post.
Old 06/01/2007, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

I would use it...just hang it a little high to start and use a small fan if the temp get too high...a small clip-on fan blowing across the water would be fine. keep it open top.

It would be, at worst, a waste of power if you have to keep it high and use a fan on it a lot.

Dirt
Old 06/01/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

I have the light about 6 inches above the water. I don't have heat issues because I run two 5" walmart brand fans from the back that youc annot see in the pic...keeps the temp at 78 when the light is on.
Old 06/01/2007, 08:46 PM
Premium Member

I have a SE 250w over my 29 and it's in an enclosed hood. I haven't had any heat issues at all as long as the airflow keeps things circulating. It's about 8 to 10 inches above the water and there is a 65w 50/50 PC for a little supplement lighting as well.
Old 06/01/2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

I think I am definately going to go for it (and i am a college student so I don't have to pay for the extra power either).

I will probably start up another thread when I get everything together, I got my 6025 nanostream back from tunze today, all I need now is the tank, a hunk of starboard for the bottom, a pvc frame to hang the light from and a new heater (no rush on that its ~80 in my stupid house anyways).

Edit: Thanks for all your help, this is a decision I have been going back and forth on for a couple months now!

Quote:
Originally posted by joedirt54
I would use it...just hang it a little high to start and use a small fan if the temp get too high...a small clip-on fan blowing across the water would be fine. keep it open top.

It would be, at worst, a waste of power if you have to keep it high and use a fan on it a lot.

Dirt
Old 06/04/2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

I just thought I would update this, I built a stand to hold the pendant today and seeing it over the 20 (with just water to test all my equipment) erased any worry that it would be way too much light. I think it looks great and as soon I get get my starboard I will post up some pics.
Old 06/04/2007, 11:27 PM
Slowly Stocking

This is good news...I've just committed to purchasing a used 175 from a local reefer.

Scaast, how stable is that PVC you're using for your MH? I'm planning on a similar rig for mine and was concerned about the tipping/sagging. I want to make sure it's stable enough that I can be confident having it in the dorms (i'm an RA, so I've got a room to myself, but can't be too careful.)

Check the red house.
Old 06/05/2007, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Slakker: I was an RA last year, I am not this year but I have a single again so I am not concerned with my light. I will post some pictures of the pvc stand I built later (I'm actually in class right now...). Its very sturdy, I used 1" pvc and its really overbuilt, just make sure the light isn't too close the pvc, don't wanna start a fire and be that kid that burned the dorm down...
Old 06/05/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Tyler....it's much more stable than I thought...I had the same concerns you have. There is no sag, and as long as you have the base legs long enough it shouldn't tip. I think I cut mine at 3.5 inches each. I used Krylon Fusion paint...it actually doesn't look bad in person. I would do it again. Also...I did NOT glue the pvc...just slipped them together.
Old 06/05/2007, 01:38 PM
Slowly Stocking

cool. I was planning on a design really similar to that but with two uprights, but now that I see yours is stable enough I think I'll just do it similar to yours. I think I'll glue at least the top crossbar into the 90* elbows...I'm sure it's sturdy enough but I worry about that piece slipping out and the light ending up in the tank.

Bucknell, you're definitely right...I don't want to be the guy that sets off the sprinklers...especially since I'd be the one that would have to clean it up...haha. I'd love to see pictures of how you did it. The more ideas I get the better off I am when it comes time to build my own...lol

Scaast, did you build the pendant yourself? If so, what's it made out of?

Check the red house.
Old 06/05/2007, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

It's built out of pine I got at home depot. The whole thing cost maybe $15...for wood and pvc.
Old 06/06/2007, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Ok, I managed to finally get the camera and snap a few quick pics of what I built. You'll see that I used a slightly different design in that I ran a base all the way around my tank and added extra support on the sides. I did this beccause my stand is a little over 3 feet tall and I didn't want to take any chances. I also glued most of the joints together and this really stiffened up the structure considerably. I am probably going to paint it black in a couple days if I don't get too lasy.

Old 06/06/2007, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

good design. It will look great painted.
Old 06/06/2007, 01:32 PM
Slowly Stocking

Yeah, that looks nice. I'll probably use parts of both of these designs when I build mine.

I've got a couple of scraps of pretty heavy gauge aluminum sitting around, I'm planning on using that at least for the top of the pendant and perhaps the front. The way I figure it, the Aluminum will dissipate heat away from the bulb to some extent and hopefully make it run a little cooler. I'm also thinking of a way to build a small fan into the pendant, but I'm not sure that's necessary.

Basically the only thing i'm waiting on is hearing from the guy that I'm planning on buying from...I'm getting very anxious.

Check the red house.
Old 06/06/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Worst comes to worst you can always post a WTB here, I got my pendant for like $140 from someone on here after another sale fell through
Old 06/06/2007, 05:10 PM
Slowly Stocking

That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but I'd have to do quite a bit of searching for someone who would be willing to part with a setup for the price I'm getting from this local guy.

Anyways, when are you stocking that tank?

Check the red house.
Old 06/06/2007, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

I am thinking I will have everything moved into it on Friday. I still need to pick up some more rock but that might have to wait a couple weeks until the guy I'm buying from gets back from Bermuda.

I am probably going to add a sixline in addition to my current pair of clowns in a bit as well.
Old 06/08/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

I moved everything over this afternoon, everything looks ok. I will have some pics lated but I will probably start up a new thread for this tank.

Thanks again.