Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/28/2007, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

skimmer overflowing

Alright....so the past 2 days I have had issues with the skimmer overflowing. It over flows into a gallon milk jug, but that over flows....

question 1:
Is there a device that if something overflows it shuts off a pump? I know there is the alarm, but I may no be here.

question 2:
Any body know of an easy way to quote quote lift up the stand a bit to get air underneath the stand to dry out the carpet? I am thinking putting some shims underneath to lift it up just enough...

btw...any noobs out there...seal off your stand completely with maybe silicon or something!
Old 05/28/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Well first off, if your skimmer is overflowing, then thier is a problem. The problem could be a couple of things. Before I begin, I am assuming that it is overflowing in a short period of time.

1. If you have that many undisolved organics in your tank, then you have to be over feeding. Or maybe you are using tap water for top off. (Drives skimmers nuts).

2. You probably don't have your skimmer set properly. If it is set properly than you should not be having a super wet foam. Some people do run a wet foam. But it should only be producing a buble form of skimate that is dark colored. I assume you have a hang on skimmer, and not in the sump. What brand is it. What type of skimmer. Let us know, this would be the best way to recieve help.
Old 05/28/2007, 04:44 PM
Premium Member

its a CSS125 skimmer, and yes I have it hanging on my sump and not in the sump.

Where is a good setting (aka water level) for this skimmer?

I don't think I am overfeeding, but that make sense...i'll back off a little.
Old 05/28/2007, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

I'm assuming this is on your 65? There really shouldn't be any water in your skimmer cup. The settled skimmate will look like dark gritty coffee and will smell like. . . . well. . . . Even when I overfeed my fish I couldn't get more than a gallon in less than a week.
Old 05/28/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

adjust the bubble valve. maybe less will lower the level of water. also when you adjust the valve for less air, it often times creates a smaller finer bubble effect, which is good.
Old 05/28/2007, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

Turn your air injector down and let it work for awhile, after a day or so turn it back up, that should help.
Old 05/28/2007, 06:11 PM
Premium Member

yes, this is for my 65G (which is the only tank I have now).

Alright, I lowered the air injector and will see how that goes.

I put shims underneath the tank frame to help the water spread out a little bit more in the carpet to clean it up.

Thanks for the help as always!
Old 05/28/2007, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

One thing that I found was if the output tubing is too close to the bottom of the diffuser you will get back pressure causing the cup to overflow.
Old 05/28/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Make sure that the air difuse is not submerged in water, and that it is salt free. and then just play with the level. My bubble do not go past the bottom of collection cup, unless it is producing skimate. If you run it wet, then that will happen.