Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/26/2007, 10:32 AM
Premium Member

Aussie Acans. What's the deal?

Sorry if this has been posted before, but why/ how is the market being flooded with all these new amazing acans? Is there an end in site or do we think they'll keep coming and prices will drop?
Old 05/26/2007, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

Probably just like anything else as supply increased and demand decreases prices should drop...should...who knows though. They sure are super pretty . Keep your eyes open for hobbyists selling frags for reasonable prices...reasonable in relation to the current prices across the board from vendors. I figure in the next few months hobbyists will throw up frags on the for sale forum here and there and folks may be able to get some decent deals. It will be interesting to see how long they keep coming in. I love looking at all the different designs.
Old 06/03/2007, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

You also need to take into account that reef keeping in Australia is only just starting to become as popular as freshwater. (being down under it takes time to catch up!)

So if anything, the prices you guys have to pay also depend on the fact that most of the acans harvested end up in our own stores, and that demand is increasing all the time. I don't want to make you feel bad but we pay less than $50 AUD for the cool greens, flourescants and reds that everyone seems to like.
Old 06/03/2007, 09:23 AM
Resident physicist.

Well I seem to recall reading somewhere that CITIES permits have opened up to soft & LPS corals out of australian waters, so we're all of a sudden seeing a new influx in stuff that we haven't before. And like any new thing the transshippers/wholesalers overseas are going to try to milk it for a while, as long as they possibly can that is until more try to milk it and it becomes an over-saturation point, the wholesalers & LFS on this end of the pond will (and are) definitely trying to milk it due to the somewhat "limited" supply (and I say that very loosely because it seems like EVERY store you go to has some aussie acans, so obvoiusly it's not that limited).

But hopefully we'll soon get the market flooded just like what happened with the Indo Acans, you'll get some nice colored "normal" ones that you can get for really cheap, then you'll get the higher end colors "JenDub" type of corals that are way more rare.

Personally I'm going to wait it out unless I see something that's ultra nice, the nice ones are pretty as it is, but not $50+ a polyp pretty.
Old 06/03/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

how hard is it to keep a acan
Old 06/03/2007, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

acans in general are pretty hardy corals, ive had quite a few and the seem very easy to keep IMO.
Old 06/03/2007, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

why are acans so expesnsive to begin with? someone enlighten me?
Old 06/03/2007, 02:56 PM
Resident physicist.

suppy/demand to start with

Then it depends where they come from, can you give a diver 2 bucks a day to risk his life, or do you have to pay more.

Then is it cheaper to ship from one place to another?

Lots of little things that get tacked onto corals to generate price... mostly though the supply/demand aspect, as overseas wholesalers are looking at message boards just like this and finding out what's hot so they can charge a bunch. Then when they come stateside those wholesalers do similar things, then when they get to stores, the store owner needs to make a profit so again.. Just a vicious cycle because corals have to be so picky and only grow in tropical waters
Old 06/03/2007, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

What are average prices for acans??
Old 06/03/2007, 06:34 PM
They Found Nemo

depends i can get a nice size(6x6) red/white lord for about 150 but the aussies are about 2x2 for that price
Old 06/03/2007, 07:01 PM
Resident physicist.

Average price? That's almost like saying what the average price for a car is.

I mean I paid $30 for 2 colonies of 70+ each almost at the height of the acan craze.. but those came in as "favites" transshipped so I got a deal. Depending upon color and local, they can be pricy

Ones from Indonesia are the cheapest, then probably Aussie then Japanese. Then there's the color issue, red & white ones (I call the traditional candy cane) are probably some of the cheaper ones, you get something like a hot pink? Really expensive.

One particular local shop sells "bland" color indo ones for $5/polyp, Aussie ones for $45-50/polyp, never seen Japanese ones sold in a store though.
Old 06/03/2007, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sfsuphysics
suppy/demand to start with

Then it depends where they come from, can you give a diver 2 bucks a day to risk his life, or do you have to pay more.
Not in Australia. The wages their for a diver are going to be quite a bit higher than Indonesia.
Old 06/04/2007, 07:44 AM
Registered Member

How do you tell the difference between Aussie and Japanese? I'd like to try some out, make sure they'll do well in my tank, but I don't want to drop the $50 for a test. Guess I need the Indo type. Too bad I can't find any in my LFS...
Old 06/16/2007, 03:02 AM
Registered Member

not too many have Jpanaese acans, since they are illegal to be exported (all stonies form Japan). THose that are here are mostly likely smuggled (I suppose) since I've checked on CITES and Japan is one that does not even allow any corals to be shipped out. I hear they are definitely the nicest though...many colors and different patterns...
Old 06/17/2007, 05:23 AM
Premium Member

The Aussies are bring huge prices from the Transshippers and they are selling out at the distributor level a couple of weeks in advance got sheet for end of july and they are sold out already
Old 06/17/2007, 05:29 AM
Premium Member

The Aussies are bring huge prices from the Transshippers and they are selling out at the distributor level a couple of weeks in advance got sheet for end of july and they are sold out already
Old 06/17/2007, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Where do you guys think are the best online places to get the Aussies?
Old 06/18/2007, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jrobison
Where do you guys think are the best online places to get the Aussies?
Atlantis
Dark lord Corals
Eden's Gate
Diamonds in the Reef
Just corals
Ebay
RC selling forum

just to name a few.