Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > El Paso Marine Aquarium Society (ELPMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/26/2007, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

Catalina Water

Everytime I go to my LFS I see this 5 gallon jug of natural seawater from Catalina Water Company:

http://www.catalinawater.com/

I've polled some other groups about this and comments seem to be split, some love it some wouldn't touch it with a 10' barge pole. Does anyone here have experiance with it? since my tank is so small it's a viable option and after reading about how bad our salt mixes are it's got me thinking.
Old 05/26/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

I dont agree with salt mixes being bad, some of the largest and nicest public aquariums are using synthetic salt mixes as well as many hobbist with awesome reef tanks around the world.

I do believe some salts are better than others and Eric Borneman with the Houston Marine Club have done some extensive testing of most all the salts out there. Search for this study...good reading.

I also have heard good and bad with the prepared saltwater mixes.
Old 05/27/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

That's a great study but I can't find the final results. Do you have a link?
Old 05/28/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

I agree that a lot of the buzz lately about how awful our mixes are should be taken with a grain of, well, salt. Sam's right, many large public aquariums use the exact same salt we use in our own tanks. Here is a shot of pallets of Instant Ocean used by the Georgia Aquarium.

While I'm sure our mixes could always be better, a lot of people have had incredible success with them.
Old 05/29/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

sailguy, I dont know if the final results have been published yet....I think they stepped on some of the companies toes. I would go to the Houston Marine Club and post a tread about the results and maybe on Reef Central.
Old 05/29/2007, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

I wouldn't be surprised, it's been a long time now. I'll see what I can dig up......

On the rest, I know the mixes we use work. Mostly I'm wondering if natural sea water might be slightly better. It sure would make water changes in a Nano a little bit quicker.
Old 05/30/2007, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

I posted yesterday at MARSH and here's the answer:

http://www.o-r-c-a.com/src/speakers.php
Old 05/30/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Good find.....everyone is waiting since this is one of the most knowledgeable guys out there....awesome speaker.