Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/19/2007, 02:03 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Is it possible for popeye to cure itself?

I got a nice male anthias in, and it had popeye pretty bad, the eye was all clouded and looked pretty bad. The fish had trouble swimming, and it was looking bad, but I couldnt catch it (in the main tank), so I was waiting until it got so bad I could catch it easier.

So today I go to look, and the fish is cured! No more popeye, and minimal cloudiness left in the eye. I didnt medicate, I dont have cleaner shrimp in that tank... has anyone seen this before?

I mean, I get in fish all the time with Ich, and they simply cure themselves in a few days usually (unless its really bad), but is there some biological thing going on here? Can I bottle it up and sell it? Seriously, I got a half dozen Temmincki Fairy Wrasses in, and a few had patches on the skin that were whitish/fungus looking, and now, a week later... gone!
Old 05/19/2007, 04:51 AM
Relax. Salad bowl is 300g

Yes, it can sometimes cure on its own.
Popeye is sometimes caused by physical injury.

I had a Clarkii with terrible popeye, probably from getting sparred by a Tang. It healed itself after a few days.
Support Intelligunt Desine!
I want to get a bunch of Hermit crabs and force them to live with each other.
Old 05/20/2007, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

I have a Purple Tang that has had a bubble for three years.Dont seem to bother him.
Old 05/20/2007, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

I had a yellow tang that had it for about three months (in a bigger tank I kept years ago). All I did was keep up with water changes and he was fine after a while. His eye went back to normal and was as healthy as ever.
Old 06/06/2007, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

I Had a large queen angel that developed Popeye and i noticed when my water was not being kept up I developed this problem. I continued in doing water changes and keeping up on all the water perimeters, and it went away on it’s own. So i think water quality, and injuries, can cause it to happen
Old 06/07/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Trama to the eye is the usual cause of this, Good water conditions help along with time. Every now and the my blue tang gets it from a favia Sp. it lives behind. It usually goes away in a week or so.
Old 06/08/2007, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

i had a fish many years ago, the only incident i've seen, that had popeye - - - i did some water changes and kept my parameters up and he healed up just fine.
Old 06/12/2007, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up Beat Popeye

I had a Blue Tang that developed popeye. I was able to cure it by simply providing it with seaweed to eat. The seaweed also has calmed this nervous fish down on numerous occasions. When I feed my Tangs seaweed regularly as dried seaweed or as live seaweed their colors are remarkable and they never get sick. Seems as if nutrition is absolutely crucial to their health and well being.